Monday Night Football Thread 2021/22

lichtie23

Kicks off tonight with the Ravens travelling to Las Vegas to play in the 1st game at Allegiant Stadium with fans in the seats to face the Raiders. This is the first year in a while that I can remember that there is only 1 game on the opening Monday night and not a doubleheader. 

The rest of the MNF schedule is as follows

Week 2 - Lions @ Packers

Week 3 - Eagles @ Cowboys

Week 4 - Raiders @ Chargers

Week 5 - Colts @ Ravens

Week 6 - Bills @ Titans

Week 7 - Saints @ Seahawks

Week 8 - Giants @ Chiefs (😩)

Week 9 - Bears @ Steelers

Week 10 - Rams @ 49ers

Week 11 - Giants @ Buccaneers (😩)

Week 12 -  Seahawks @ Football Team

Week 13 - Patriots @ Bills 

Week 14 - Rams @ Cardinals

Week 15 - Vikings @ Bears

Week 16 - Dolphins  @ Saints

Week 17 - Browns @ Steelers

Edited by lichtie23

22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

The rest of the MNF schedule is as follows

Week 2 - Lions @ Packers

Week 3 - Eagles @ Cowboys

Week 4 - Raiders @ Chargers

Week 5 - Colts @ Ravens

Week 6 - Bills @ Titans

Week 7 - Saints @ Seahawks

Week 8 - Giants @ Chiefs (😩)

Week 9 - Bears @ Steelers

Week 10 - Chargers @ 49ers

Week 11 - Giants @ Buccaneers (😩)

Week 12 -  Seahawks @ Football Team

Week 13 - Patriots @ Bills 

Week 14 - Chargers @ Cardinals

Week 15 - Vikings @ Bears

Week 16 - Dolphins  @ Saints

Week 17 - Browns @ Steelers

Why is it that some teams get more than 1 MNF game and some don't get any?

Used to be that teams who had finished < .500 the year previously were not considered for MNF, but they did away with that a while back. I think it's just about perceived quality, attractiveness of the match-up, and paying lip service to trying to get most teams on at least once unless they absolutely stink. TV markets also a consideration for primetime. There's no way the Chargers would have had 3 MNF games playing in SD, similarly I doubt you'll see Jax at Cinci any time soon.

Edited by Boo Khaki

First half observations -

Gus Bradley is still stealing a living as an NFL DC. I still have no idea what it actually is he supposedly does, since his entire scheme consists of nothing more than a vanilla Cover 3 on 1st, and 2nd downs, and a switch to a vanilla Dime on 3rds and/or long to goes. 

Year 4, and Lamar Jackson's mechanics in the pocket are still diabolically poor. Ravens are utterly deluded if they think this guy is ever going to be a legit NFL QB.

Mark Davis's hairdresser is still the best troll in the history of trolling.

Edited by Boo Khaki

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Used to be that teams who had finished < .500 the year previously were not considered for MNF, but they did away with that a while back. I think it's just about perceived quality, attractiveness of the match-up, and paying lip service to trying to get most teams on at least once unless they absolutely stink. TV markets also a consideration for primetime. There's no way the Chargers would have had 3 MNF games playing in SD, similarly I doubt you'll see Jax at Cinci any time soon.

There was also something about games needing to be near or at capacity for them to get on the TV, not sure if they still do the blackout though on that basis or if that has been ditched. That would be my guess at to why the Chargers are at home to the Raiders, in the hope of a decent crowd. 

37 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

There was also something about games needing to be near or at capacity for them to get on the TV, not sure if they still do the blackout though on that basis or if that has been ditched. That would be my guess at to why the Chargers are at home to the Raiders, in the hope of a decent crowd. 

The blackout rule has been gone for a good 5+ years now, I think. It also didn't apply to "primetime" games like SNF or MNF either and was only in place in local markets. For example, if the Chargers had sold less than 85% of their tickets for a random Sunday afternoon game, the game wouldn't be shown on TV in the San Diego area so as to try and encourage local fans to go to the game. A bit different to the primetime games which are aired nationally and wouldn't have ever been blacked out.

Of course, that does go back to the point of the selection for the primetime games. The teams who had a higher proportion of blacked out games (when it was a thing) are the sort of teams you'd never see anywhere near a Monday night game (eg. Jaguars or Bengals). Which kind of ties into what BK was saying about the attractiveness of certain teams/matchups.

12 hours ago, G51 said:

Keep Lamar in the pocket and he turns into Colt McCoy.

Yup. All his completions are between the numbers and he's wildly inaccurate outside them. He's footwork is still terrible, he doesn't step into his throws, and the number of time he hits the bottom of his drop and instantaneously takes off without even looking down the field is ridiculous.

NFL is a passing league first and foremost. I don't care how athletic your QB is, to have any sort of sustained success and win Superbowls you need your guy to hang in the pocket and make the throws that Jackson can't. Media is still endlessly parroting the 'revolutionising the position' horseshit that's been going on since the days of Randall Cunningham. It happened with RC, it happened with Kordell Stewart, Michael Vick, Vince Young, RGIII, and now Jackson. The irony is that RC and MV were far more effective QB's once they stopped running constantly and learned how to pass from the pocket. Stewart, Young and RGIII never did, and it's looking like it's totally beyond Jackson as well. If he keeps on playing the way he does then there's no need to 'figure him out' like they were gibbering on about last night, because you can already ignore any part of the field outside the numbers, so he's already 'figured out' due to his own shortcomings in a way, plus I doubt he'll be physically able to play out his second contract.

Funny how Mahomes never gets talked about in exactly the same way despite arguably being far more of a 'revolutionary' QB. It seems to be hyperbole that's reserved exclusively for run-first black QB's, despite the fact that none of them have ever won anything as a starter.

10 hours ago, The Golden God said:

No idea who you support but here for the Ravens hate, they’re one of the most despicable teams in all of sport.

Chargers. First time in 35 years I've ever been glad for a Raiders win.