Oor NHS

alta-pete

On 17/09/2021 at 01:22, Boo Khaki said:

It's spot on. I mean, if you go to your GP complaining about feeling depressed, you'll get offered SSRI's and told to come back in a month or six weeks for a review, possibly placed on an 18 month to 2 year waiting list for an assessment.

I just saw this actually. I just wanted to say that I had gone to my GP last year about some issues I had, I did not get offered SSRI’s but was referred to mental health services and started seeing a psychologist after about 4 months. It can work well in some places. 

This is as good a place as any for this. 

I've posted before that my dad is having extremely serious health issues. Mum was phoned by an NHS guy who was utterly brilliant. He talked her through the whole process when discussing the resuscitation issue. He allowed my mum time and information to go and talk to my dad and me. And when he called back, he dealt with all the paperwork for her so dad now has a letter he keeps on him that will be given to the paramedics when the time comes. 

He had only ever introduced himself by his first name (dad gets phoned about 3 times a week from NHS people, many of whom he is on first name terms with now). Mum phoned back to say thanks but didn't know his last name. She phoned around looking for this doctor - turns out he wasn't a doctor at all but some kind of nurse/paramedic (I don't know the exact title). 

Without his help and intervention, I really suspect that my mum would be very unprepared and in shock when the time comes. Thanks to this guy, decisions have been made and, in a way, there is a plan. He has saved her massive future trauma. It will still be a shock for her, but this has to some degree cushioned the blow. 

55 minutes ago, 101 said:

The UK Health Secretary today comparing the NHS to Blockbuster in a Netflix age. Is this the first overt sign of them preparing the NHS for its curtain call?

I think it means they are going to shell f**k tonnes of money into it and then cancel it before Season 3.

7 hours ago, 101 said:

The UK Health Secretary today comparing the NHS to Blockbuster in a Netflix age. Is this the first overt sign of them preparing the NHS for its curtain call?

The Tories are absolutely gagging to get rid of the NHS and set up a US style health system. As with everything the Tories do, it's all about personal greed. They'll have already how worked out they can profit from it and will no doubt have already spoken to various firms willing to chuck them cash for it. The Tory scum will also inevitably get high ranking, and paying, jobs within various health insurance companies. They'll also rake in loads in lobbying, not to mention the massive profits from pharmaceutical companies.

It's one of the many, many, many reasons we need to detach ourselves from the UK as soon as possible, because at some point (be it 5, 10 or 20 years) it will be cheered in by the same type of folk who believe slogans on buses and think Boris Johnson is hilarious. They'll whoop and cheer it in and only when it suddenly personally affects them will they cry about it, but it will be far too late by then.

Labour aren't up to the job of stopping it, but I suspect many of them won't want to.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Is it not his responsibility to fix it?

If it is no one has told him.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The Tories are absolutely gagging to get rid of the NHS and set up a US style health system. As with everything the Tories do, it's all about personal greed. They'll have already how worked out they can profit from it and will no doubt have already spoken to various firms willing to chuck them cash for it. The Tory scum will also inevitably get high ranking, and paying, jobs within various health insurance companies. They'll also rake in loads in lobbying, not to mention the massive profits from pharmaceutical companies.

It's one of the many, many, many reasons we need to detach ourselves from the UK as soon as possible, because at some point (be it 5, 10 or 20 years) it will be cheered in by the same type of folk who believe slogans on buses and think Boris Johnson is hilarious. They'll whoop and cheer it in and only when it suddenly personally affects them will they cry about it, but it will be too far too late by then.

Labour aren't up to the job of stopping it, but I suspect many of them won't want to.

Yeh what people who are pro private healthcare never mention is the fact that America spends more per person on health spending than other countries.

If these jokers had any interest in cutting costs for the NHS in the long run they would set up and nationalised pharmaceutical company to supply the NHS rather than expose it to the thieving big pharma.

Everyone will be required to have an NHS account for £8 a month but everyone just shares someone password, bankrupting the entire country in a month.
I for one will be torrenting my healthcare.

There’s a piece on the news about violence in pharmacies and the Pharmacist union is called The Pharmacists Defence Association, making them sound like a loyalist splinter group.

Here they are on the way to their annual conference 

image.jpeg.c013d116295801b5e0d9a04888eabbeb.jpeg

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Violence against NHS staff is terrible and clearly a real issue. I don’t think forming paramilitary groups is the answer though.

Tbf if you're going to be shot anywhere a hospital is the place to do it.

On 07/06/2022 at 16:04, scottsdad said:

This is as good a place as any for this. 

I've posted before that my dad is having extremely serious health issues. Mum was phoned by an NHS guy who was utterly brilliant. He talked her through the whole process when discussing the resuscitation issue. He allowed my mum time and information to go and talk to my dad and me. And when he called back, he dealt with all the paperwork for her so dad now has a letter he keeps on him that will be given to the paramedics when the time comes. 

He had only ever introduced himself by his first name (dad gets phoned about 3 times a week from NHS people, many of whom he is on first name terms with now). Mum phoned back to say thanks but didn't know his last name. She phoned around looking for this doctor - turns out he wasn't a doctor at all but some kind of nurse/paramedic (I don't know the exact title). 

Without his help and intervention, I really suspect that my mum would be very unprepared and in shock when the time comes. Thanks to this guy, decisions have been made and, in a way, there is a plan. He has saved her massive future trauma. It will still be a shock for her, but this has to some degree cushioned the blow. 

There are so many absolute legends involved in the NHS it’s hard to comprehend.  There’s people I couldn’t even name who I’m always in debt too for my mums care. Didn’t do it for a single reason other than being decent folk, and when there tired, or struggling they still turn up and put the grind in.

The administrative system lets people down and it’s ridiculously underfunded, this is where government needs to get it shit together.  The fundamental concept of free at point of use, indiscriminate health care never must change, just those at the top.

torys complaining about the NHS are just c***s that complain their car doesn’t work when the forgot to put fuel in.

Edited by parsforlife

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

torys complaining about the NHS are just c***s that complain their car doesn’t work when the forgot to put fuel in.

Or deliberately let the oil and water dry out so the engine will explode, blame the people they carpool with, and replace it with something that looks flash for their own personal use.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Or deliberately let the oil and water dry out so the engine will explode, blame the people they carpool with, and replace it with something that looks flash for their own personal GAIN.

Please excuse my amendment.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this story today

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/bullying-cases-in-scotlands-nhs-rose-almost-50-in-past-five-years-3737200

As much as I'd love to, I'm not sure you can specifically blame the Scottish Government for this.  There are doubtless a multitude of factors involved in workplace bullying and the NHS might be more prone to some of them.  In my own very brief period working in the health service years ago I thought a lot of the managers were very poor, just not good at their job.  They didn't have the required management skills and a lot of them had been promoted above their competence.  One of the outcomes of this is that lacking the required organisational and personal skills to effectively manage their staff, they resort of nagging and throwing their weight around etc.  There's also the phenomenon of people in professions providing caring services or doing good deeds etc behaving badly, engaging in bullying or other in appropriate behaviour.  

NHS Highland has had an ongoing issue with bullying complaints for many years, not surprised to see them high on the list.

On 08/06/2022 at 23:42, parsforlife said:

There are so many absolute legends involved in the NHS it’s hard to comprehend.  There’s people I couldn’t even name who I’m always in debt too for my mums care. Didn’t do it for a single reason other than being decent folk, and when there tired, or struggling they still turn up and put the grind in.

The administrative system lets people down and it’s ridiculously underfunded, this is where government needs to get it shit together.  The fundamental concept of free at point of use, indiscriminate health care never must change, just those at the top.

The problem with the NHS for me is the inefficiency of it, but measures they put in place to make it more efficient just add layers of inefficiency on top. They have not got the right mix of care giving and corporate structure. The people who provide the care and services are for me on the whole amazing and deserving of praise, those who do the strategic planning/management and other such corporate shite are incompetent. 

I will not hear a bad word about the NHS. I’ve had 100, yes 100 visits to Hospital since my diagnosis August past. The care at the Western, Royal and St John’s has been 98% outstanding. There has been the odd glitch which has to be expected, they are only human after all. I’ll be forever indebted to them.

On 08/06/2022 at 23:42, parsforlife said:

The nhs and snhs isnt underfunded, its just seriously financially mismanaged, scottish nhs costs 15bill a year and rising, theres no way that should be spent and people having to book appointments for a&e