Eligible Players

ahemps

The lad at Philadelphia Union keeping Findlay out the side, Jack Elliott, is Scottish qualified via both parents and by all accounts is a very handy player in the MLS.

I wonder if he'd need to move to Europe to get a callup though or whether the MLS is a good enough level already as must admit I've not watched any of it.

18 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Charles Boli is 23 and plays for Lens in Ligue 1. Doesn’t seem to get a game, but was born in Dundee in the late 90s when his Dad was at United, for three league games.

Would be nice if Dortmund started ransacking our youth teams. German clubs seem to have had great success at pilfering English youth of late.

I'd give my left nut for some German club to produce a Jude Bellingham or Jadon Sancho for us.

• 2 weeks later...

He’s genuinely brilliant, but England have more excellent right backs than we have left backs. Even though he is a starting EPL right back at 18, he’s probably got no chance of getting in their squad. He probably won’t even start for their 21s.

If he genuinely wants to play for us then brilliant. The cynic in me says he is flagging his eligibility to force England’s hand, but I suppose if there were true you’d think he’d go for Portugal over us…?

4 hours ago, kykudi said:

Matt Targett

Harvey Barnes

Luis Binks

Conor Gallagher

Karlan Grant

Anthony Gordon

Tino Livramento

Ben Nelson

Jarrell Quansah

whats the point...did you watch the U21's earlier this week?  a good few of that team were there as Gemmill had looked at their ancestry and quite frankly they were honking.  I would rather see us developing Scottish players who first and foremost want to pay for Scotland not see it as an alternative to a very short international career that will boost their earning power.

12 hours ago, albagubrath said:

He’s genuinely brilliant, but England have more excellent right backs than we have left backs. Even though he is a starting EPL right back at 18, he’s probably got no chance of getting in their squad. He probably won’t even start for their 21s.

If he genuinely wants to play for us then brilliant. The cynic in me says he is flagging his eligibility to force England’s hand, but I suppose if there were true you’d think he’d go for Portugal over us…?

Reece James, Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka, Trippier, Walker… 

Few tougher positions to compete for than that.

I just looked him up to see where he is at now, contract expired in 2019 at Chelsea, and he retired in 2020 aged 24/25 and has now set up a company selling designer hats. His senior career amounted to 23 games an no goals
What was he like at hibs?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

On 09/10/2021 at 06:48, Caledonian1 said:

whats the point...did you watch the U21's earlier this week?  a good few of that team were there as Gemmill had looked at their ancestry and quite frankly they were honking.  I would rather see us developing Scottish players who first and foremost want to pay for Scotland not see it as an alternative to a very short international career that will boost their earning power.

McTominay and Dykes scored for us against Israel. 

Shut the f**k up 

On 09/10/2021 at 06:48, Caledonian1 said:

This thread was started out of interest to see who is eligible for us. It is just a topic for discussion is not an actual campaign to call these players up.

Harvey Barnes would instantly be one of our top 3-4 players. Is there any possibility of him choosing Scotland? 

Not a chance, he’s already been talked up as the next big thing in England.

If we were to get him, it would be a massive statement but I suspect when he’s back from injury England will get him capped pronto.

We’d need to be calling him daily and using Robertsons influence to try and land him.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Not a chance, he’s already been talked up as the next big thing in England.

If we were to get him, it would be a massive statement but I suspect when he’s back from injury England will get him capped pronto.

We’d need to be calling him daily and using Robertsons influence to try and land him.

I doubt he is going to choose Scotland anytime soon but he's not England's next big thing. He is a winger and is not getting picked because Foden, Saka, Grealish, Sancho, Sterling, Greenwood and Rashford all play in similar positions and are in front of him, only Sterling and Grealish are older then him out of these players as well. 

I think he's good enough to get a cap for England but due to the competition for places I doubt he will get that many but 5-10 England caps may mean the world to him so the chance to be Scotland's best player may not be in his mind and that is fair enough.