Eligible Players

ahemps

On 09/10/2021 at 06:48, Caledonian1 said:

whats the point...did you watch the U21's earlier this week?  a good few of that team were there as Gemmill had looked at their ancestry and quite frankly they were honking.  I would rather see us developing Scottish players who first and foremost want to pay for Scotland not see it as an alternative to a very short international career that will boost their earning power.

Define Scottish

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Not a chance, he’s already been talked up as the next big thing in England.

If we were to get him, it would be a massive statement but I suspect when he’s back from injury England will get him capped pronto.

We’d need to be calling him daily and using Robertsons influence to try and land him.

Pretty sure we tried that, and he still said no.

https://talksport.com/football/770909/harvey-barnes-dad-england-scotland-cristiano-ronaldo-stats/

Paul reveals the SFA’s performance director, Malky Mackay, asked ‘quite a few times’ if he’d be willing to play for Scotland but Barnes is England through and through.

Fair enough really. 

7 hours ago, FTT said:

Livramento would walk into our team and instantly be one our best players. He is absolutely incredible and will be a very, very good player when he gets older. I think he’ll be in the England team within no time unfortunately. Chelsea will probably buy him back in 2023

He certainly doesn't sound like he's dead against the idea tbf

On 09/10/2021 at 14:33, greenockraver said:

What was he like at hibs?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Shite, looked like a child in a mans team, played mainly off the bench when we were in the championship, missed a few sitters, looked like a rabbit in the headlights tbh.

On 08/10/2021 at 19:32, albagubrath said:

He’s genuinely brilliant, but England have more excellent right backs than we have left backs. Even though he is a starting EPL right back at 18, he’s probably got no chance of getting in their squad. He probably won’t even start for their 21s.

If he genuinely wants to play for us then brilliant. The cynic in me says he is flagging his eligibility to force England’s hand, but I suppose if there were true you’d think he’d go for Portugal over us…?

I don't really watch English football much so have never seen him, but if he's playing every week for Southampton he's already at a higher level than any of our other right backs, I would hope we are asking the question already, even if he's not ready to make his mind up.

Would also absolutely LOVE to see a guy called Valentino Francisco Livramento playing for Scotland. 

On 09/10/2021 at 02:02, kykudi said:

Matt Targett

Harvey Barnes

Luis Binks

Conor Gallagher

Karlan Grant

Anthony Gordon

Tino Livramento

Ben Nelson

Jarrell Quansah

There's no way Harvey Barnes will play for us, he's been in England squads if my memory is still going strong (highly unlikely lol). 

I know nothing about Anthony Gordon, Luis Binks, Ben Nelson or Jarrell Quansah so can't comment regarding these, however, any useful info such as their positions and form etc would be greatly appreciated :). 

The others are tough to say, many think Connor Gallagher and Tino Livramento could find it difficult to get into England squads so they could do a Cameron Redpath (Scotland Rugby centre who, up until Feb always publicly stated his desire to play for Eddie Jones' England but changed his stance just before the last 6N, presumably p***ed off at being continously snubbed by EJ) and change their minds before too long. 

Matt Targett is another that's hard to determine what he'll do because he plays in a position that we ain't exactly light on. 

Imho, I have been stating since before the Denmark game that Karlan Grant and Sam Gallagher should be getting capped as I'd say they are more likely to get regular gametime for us than England and tbh, both are goalscorers, however, I'd not have either ahead of Dykes, Adams or Nisbet but perhaps just ahead of Tony Watt. 

Anyway, I'm sure the lads at the SFA and Sir Steve Clarke know what they are doing so its best to leave them to do the scouting on eligible players :D. 

12 hours ago, FTT said:

Livramento would walk into our team and instantly be one our best players. He is absolutely incredible and will be a very, very good player when he gets older. I think he’ll be in the England team within no time unfortunately. Chelsea will probably buy him back in 2023

or Portugals

4 minutes ago, red23 said:

or Portugals

He was literally playing right back for England's u21s tonight. I think this discussion can be parked until such times he does a James Morrison and changes his mind. 

I'm fully on board with dual nationalities and accept that waters are a bit muddier these days when it comes to choosing allegiances, but, at least for now, I think we should discuss other eligibles. Patterson and Ramsay will be our next Robbo/Tierney anyway, so we don't need him.

Karlan Grant has a decent scoring record in the English championship, I’m not sure why he’s not in our squad unless he’s told SC he’s not interested.

Harvey Barnes has a full England cap albeit in a friendly so he’s technically still eligible for us. Can’t see it happening. 

42 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

He was literally playing right back for England's u21s tonight. I think this discussion can be parked until such times he does a James Morrison and changes his mind. 

I'm fully on board with dual nationalities and accept that waters are a bit muddier these days when it comes to choosing allegiances, but, at least for now, I think we should discuss other eligibles. Patterson and Ramsay will be our next Robbo/Tierney anyway, so we don't need him.

True, in around 1 years time this won't be a problem anymore

Anyone mentioned Jamie Paterson yet? Has occasional ability to win games on his own at Championship level down South but isn't massively consistent which is why he's drifted from Forest to Bristol City and now Swansea, for whom he was outstanding against Cardiff on Sunday. On that sort of form he'd be good enough to look at but he's not producing it regularly enough to be ahead of the likes of Christie and Fraser. Or Forrest when he's available again.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Anyone mentioned Jamie Paterson yet? Has occasional ability to win games on his own at Championship level down South but isn't massively consistent which is why he's drifted from Forest to Bristol City and now Swansea, for whom he was outstanding against Cardiff on Sunday. On that sort of form he'd be good enough to look at but he's not producing it regularly enough to be ahead of the likes of Christie and Fraser. Or Forrest when he's available again.

I remember I think it was the Bristol City manager at the time saying he couldn't believe Scotland hadn't looked at him and Joe Bryan who is now at Fulham. A few years ago now and with them both not far off 30 I'm guessing the chances of being called up are fairly slim but Paterson in particular never being called up at all is a little surprising as not so much now but back then he was performing at a similar level to a lot of the guys we were calling up. Bryan being a left back probably meant there was never a rush to go out of their way to get him I guess?

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

5 or so years ago (whenever he was at Forest), I thought he was worth a look.  That day has past now.

On 24/09/2021 at 16:43, honestly united said:

I just looked him up to see where he is at now, contract expired in 2019 at Chelsea, and he retired in 2020 aged 24/25 and has now set up a company selling designer hats. His senior career amounted to 23 games an no goals

So he ended up with plenty of caps after all then? 

After hearing Valentino Livramento's English accent on MOTD I had a wee look to see where his exotic sounding name came from. Turns out he was born in England to a Portuguese father and a Scottish mother. He's represented England at u21 level but I wonder if he could be convinced to switch seeing as he has Kyle Walker, Reece James, Kieran Tripper, Aaron Wan-Bissaka ahead of him with Tariq Lamptey also coming back from injury. He's only 18 and looks a cracking player