Eligible Players

ahemps

14 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think it’s one of those things where logically it would make sense for him to play for England, as they’re a far better side than us and it’ll be better for his career, but it really depends how he feels.   If he feels Scottish at all, then he might want to represent us, if he doesn’t then he probably won’t regardless of his chances of getting in the England team.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he considers himself anything other than English. Like you, I’d be surprised if he wanted to play for anyone apart from them, and I think he’s quite likely to be around their squad in the not too distant future.

Siriki Dembele is an interesting one though. Worth asking a question if he does well in the Championship this year, as we have utterly shite options on the wings mostly. 

Capping or at least including Siriki has the double benefit of perhaps encouraging his younger brother Karamoko to play for Scotland. Still at Celtic as far as I know, but switched allegiance from Scotland to England. He is talented, although I am not yet convinced he is as good as some think/thought. He is 18, so if he is that good we should probably see a few appearances from him this year.

42 minutes ago, Zazu said:

Lewis Fiorini on the books at City. 

Ewan Urain at Bilbao's B team. 

Sure there was another scots-spanish player on the books at a la liga club but can't remember his name. 

Not sure they are 'eligible' as both are currently in our system at U19 and U21 levels respectively.

11 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Capping or at least including Siriki has the double benefit of perhaps encouraging his younger brother Karamoko to play for Scotland. Still at Celtic as far as I know, but switched allegiance from Scotland to England. He is talented, although I am not yet convinced he is as good as some think/thought. He is 18, so if he is that good we should probably see a few appearances from him this year.

I'm going to say fk Dembele, we were desperate because he looked like he could be world class, he swapped to england and now the ungrateful midget can do one.

Edited by red23

39 minutes ago, red23 said:

I'm going to say fk Dembele, we were desperate because he looked like he could be world class, he swapped to england and now the ungrateful midget can do one.

I think it’s safe to say - that as of yet - he’s not fulfilled the potential he was showing.

A long time to go, but he’s 19 in February and has 7 senior appearances. 

18 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Not sure they are 'eligible' as both are currently in our system at U19 and U21 levels respectively.

ah, didn't know that. 

Had just seen them mentioned on twitter as potential future Scotland players that have dual nationality

On 15/09/2021 at 14:32, Zazu said:

Sure there was another scots-spanish player on the books at a la liga club but can't remember his name. 

Jack Harper is currently 25 and on loan in the Spanish 3rd tier, if thats who you're thinking of.

14 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Harvey Barnes is/was also eligible for Scotland, top player but has a lot of competition in front of him in the England team. He has played for England in a friendly, does that make him tied to them now?

I don’t think he’s tied to them, but I’m also pretty sure Barnes has turned us down a couple of times and is on record as saying he’s not interested. 

2 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

Spotted this after reading about Hickey's goal for Bologna. Luis Binks, who also plays for Bologna, is eligible for Scotland.

Yeh, he played for us at both U16 and U18, but has also played for England at various levels. He doesn't look like he will be good enough for England, so he may reappear in our system, although possibly after playing U21 for England. As a centre back he has more chance to get in our squad than England's.

Charles Boli is 23 and plays for Lens in Ligue 1. Doesn’t seem to get a game, but was born in Dundee in the late 90s when his Dad was at United, for three league games.

Would be nice if Dortmund started ransacking our youth teams. German clubs seem to have had great success at pilfering English youth of late.