Clyde vs Queen's Park

23 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Got to admit, I've been disappointed with the attendances. You'd think after 18 months people would be choking to get back to the games.

There is a number of reasons for attendances maybe not being as expected

1. Going to football is a habit and after 18 months people have got out of the habit.  You have to have something that attracts them back and the performances to date have hardly been to the level you would expect.

2. People can choose to watch the game from the stream rather than go in person (though understand the number from the stream are really low).  For instance, i didnt go yesterday and watched the game on stream as had some work to do so as well as doing it while watched the game was able to turn the game on at 3pm and off again at the finish rather than having to travel to and from the game.

3. To attract the local neutral you have to have something that entices them to come along and as said above the football to date hasnt really been awe inspiring for the price you have to pay.

Would be interesting to note what the level of a good attendance would be.  I would say that if we could get 1000 at the match (excluding any away fans) that would be a good start as been years since we had regular 4 figure attendances at matches.

That's a really disappointing attendance. We were averaging just over 800 for most games and over 1k for Falkirk and Raith.

Be interesting to see if that is across the board and not just limited to us. A lot of people will have got out the habit of going given the last 18 months.

The first Goodwillie goal was ridiculous while the second was scrappy as f**k, pretty much polar opposites.

23 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Thought we played well today

Thought QP were pretty poor and was expecting a lot more from them.  

Would say that Falkirk, Cove and Montrose were all better than them

Thought Cuddihy and Splaine had good games but Splaine can be frustrating doing something great one minute (long cross field pass in first half) then messing up the simple thing (easy pass through to DGW).  10 minute cameo from Tade was more promising that Jones has shown all season.  Would be good to see Tade and DGW up top next week

DGW again comes up with a goal out of nothing.  Really need to watch his 100 goal video reel again and work out how many are due to his sheer individual brilliance. Must be about 20 or 30

On current form will be in top 5 all time Clyde goal scorers this side of xmas

Hopefully we can hold onto him beyond his contract ending next season as think he will be good for a few more seasons (might even catch Dougie Wallace in the all time scoring records)

Who was Dougie Wallace and when did he play?  When did a search online could only find a South African that played around WWII put he only scored about 14 goals according to his wiki record

He is flying tbf. So good to see especially if he can steer clear of niggles and injuries etc.

Pretty sure he will renew his deal. He loves the club and the fans do likewise in kind! 

10 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

Suppose depends on what he is offered as understand he is on a very good deal

Realistically, no one else in the SPFL will want to sign him due to the ongoing stigma, which is obviously fair. It would basically dredge up everything again, and would that be worth it for A) a 30 odd year old man with a wife, young child and a fledgling career or B) Literally any club? The answer is no.

If he leaves Clyde, realistically it would be to the juniors/WoSL to a team like Darvel which whilst that isn't out the question, he doesn't strike me as the type to want to drop down to levels below his absolute maximum which (at the moment) is a team in L1. 

As been said many times apart from his obviously ability his work rate and passion on the park is unbelievable and that’s been from day one! Also seems to be the same at training etc. 

That is despite being surrounded by absolute dross most of that time.

Other clubs won’t touch him because of the baggage, although depends on who you are I suppose. Ronaldo doesn’t seem to have been held back by his charge, again though like Prince Andrew he is multi multi millionaire which in our society seems make things go away. (Maybe not in Andy’s case right enough)

21 hours ago, Harry Haddock said:

From the highlights of DG’s goals was clear QP did not bring much of a support.

Yeah I was quite disappointed with our numbers. We took more to Alloa and Falkirk. There was definitely a few faces missing who were at those games. I don't know, maybe they saw those trips as decent away days on the sesh.  

3 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Realistically, no one else in the SPFL will want to sign him due to the ongoing stigma, which is obviously fair. It would basically dredge up everything again, and would that be worth it for A) a 30 odd year old man with a wife, young child and a fledgling career or B) Literally any club? The answer is no.

I think you are probably right.  If another SPFL side was going to take him they would have done so a couple of years ago.

When his current deal ends at end of season 2022/23 he will be 34 so unlikely another SPFL team will take him on then when they could have done 2 or 3 years earlier.

Hopefully we can get him signed up for at least another 2 years after than to take him to he is 36 and see where he is then (I know he said on the podcast earlier in the year he wants to play until he is 40 but saying it and doing it at the same level are completed different things).

I thought he would have lost a bit this season compared to the previous season but so far not the case and he is absolutely on fire.  Scoring the first goal on Saturday the way that he did if it had been anyone else you would have went on about it over and over again but it now not unexpected to see him score goals out of absolutely nothing (has done so a few times already this season eg 2nd against Alloa and Cove spring to mind).

Just a case of enjoying him while he is still with us as imagine the deep abyss there would be if your main striker you were relying on to score goals was Robert Jones.

4 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I think you are probably right.  If another SPFL side was going to take him they would have done so a couple of years ago.

When his current deal ends at end of season 2022/23 he will be 34 so unlikely another SPFL team will take him on then when they could have done 2 or 3 years earlier.

Hopefully we can get him signed up for at least another 2 years after than to take him to he is 36 and see where he is then (I know he said on the podcast earlier in the year he wants to play until he is 40 but saying it and doing it at the same level are completed different things).

I thought he would have lost a bit this season compared to the previous season but so far not the case and he is absolutely on fire.  Scoring the first goal on Saturday the way that he did if it had been anyone else you would have went on about it over and over again but it now not unexpected to see him score goals out of absolutely nothing (has done so a few times already this season eg 2nd against Alloa and Cove spring to mind).

Just a case of enjoying him while he is still with us as imagine the deep abyss there would be if your main striker you were relying on to score goals was Robert Jones.

Brilliant comparison with Bobby Jones there.

That first Goodwillie goal is absolute filth. He’s the best player in this league by a country mile. Saying that, his penalty was honking!

Cant really tell if the QP penalty is harsh or warranted from the highlights. 

Bob McHugh is surprisingly poor for QP whenever I see highlights of him play.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

That first Goodwillie goal is absolute filth. He’s the best player in this league by a country mile. Saying that, his penalty was honking!

Cant really tell if the QP penalty is harsh or warranted from the highlights. 

Bob McHugh is surprisingly poor for QP whenever I see highlights of him play.

You've seen him play????????????? More than we have.

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

That first Goodwillie goal is absolute filth. He’s the best player in this league by a country mile. 

If there a better player outside the premier league then they must be some player

In a decent team he would get 40+ goals this season as he will likely get mid 20s for us

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I was quite specific in saying he’s poor when I see highlights of him. Maybe he saves being poor just for the highlights of games!

No, he is just not doing it for us. Shame, I was really pleased when we signed him and kept giving him the benefit of the doubt but under two different managers he is producing nothing. If we had Baynham and Quitongo fit McHugh would be nowhere near the first team.

16 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

Would like to see Tade and Dgw up front Saturday. Not sure what DL saw/sees in Jones

Done well in his cameo on Saturday Tade but don't think he looks anywhere near ready to start a game yet. Would go with Goodie and Cunningham like the Cove game and keep Tade and Jones for options from the bench.