Clyde vs Queen's Park

Don't get the Clyde and Queens Park views that we both have similar sized supports, I will agree and have noticed Queens Park's average home attendances has grown ( a wee bit), but I genuinely have always believed that we (Clyde) have a fair sized dormant support in and around the central belt.

Just look at our play-off (I'll concede that was a one-off game etc etc), but we had almost 3000 of a crowd that day with not many Annan fans there, (could QP pull in even half that) we are hardy a sleeping giant, but we have many, many "fans" who don't go to or can't be arsed (who can blame them 🤣) going to Broadwood.

Never had a thing about who's support is larger than who's , just had a think about it as it has been mentioned once or twice on this thread👍

38 minutes ago, Come Away The Clyde said:

Just look at our play-off (I'll concede that was a one-off game etc etc), but we had almost 3000 of a crowd that day with not many Annan fans there, (could QP pull in even half that) we are hardy a sleeping giant, but we have many, many "fans" who don't go to or can't be arsed (who can blame them 🤣) going to Broadwood.

This reminds me that there's an older guy who stays across the road from me who I sometimes see kicking about in Clyde shirts, but have never ever came across him at Broadwood in my whole time going. Obviously don't know his circumstances and like you say he's far from the only one.

We must be about the only club in Scotland whose gates have decreased rather than increased after being locked out for 18 months. 

Edited by C. Muir

I’m quite comfortable that we currently have a small support and always have done in my lifetime. Willy waving about big game supports doesn’t really matter. That’s not going to deliver anything other than a few photographs suggesting that you have a bigger support than you actually do in reality. Our core supports are not dissimilar and I think both clubs do relatively ok in that regard when you consider the local competition and level we play at.

So the Clyde defence is apparently pish while our defence has been rock solid so far but we all know one piece of magic from their striker might be enough as long as we struggle to score when dominant. Our lack of goals outside of Murray is a bit worrying tbh. We can’t keep relying on him to produce a bit of genius every game to get us going, last Saturday proved that. We can dominate possession all day and play nice football but we need more of a goal threat from the midfield. We need more digs at goal and more urgency to get into the box and on the end of things. Longridge showed what he can do in the Dumbarton game, he also has a decent shot on him.  More of this please.

Not expecting much change tomorrow but if Kilday is fit I’d pair him with Fox and let the big man just sit on Goodwille all day. Neither Doyle or Kilday have the pace for Goodwillie over a short distance. Longstaff for Moore would be the other change. Gillies on the bench to accommodate the skipper, unless Kilday is out. Other than that, shots on target please!

7 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Good post. The selling-on bit was a big part of the decision to change the club’s direction. As an amateur team, every player had a one-year contract which meant every summer the entire squad could just walk away. The process has already started of bringing through some of our youth on professional contracts so that if they are poached by a bigger club at least we get some return from our investment over the development years. And those that stay with our first team can be sure of a future in the game. As this evolves in years to come, the plan is to have more of that and less of the end-of-career/high salary type of player. The plans for an enhanced city-wide community football programme, with a strong bias toward the Southside, are under way too. As well as the entry level for the ladder system, this is potentially a strong revenue stream too. 

It’ll be interesting to see how things go around March. Fans, players and coaches all want to win the league, get promotion etc. As a club though, would we be ready for the Championship? The CEO talks in terms of a decade for development and consolidation. But progress has been rapid this last six months and it’s expected to keep evolving for the rest of this season, at least.

As for humble riffraff like me, all of the future starts with beating Clyde on Saturday. ‘Mon the Hoops!

In all honesty, it should be doable for any club. It just takes a lot of forward thinking and innovation. We've started giving players 2 year deals with a club option of a 3rd. We're only now putting the youth academy back together after cutting it in order to avoid running at a loss. Obviously it helps that we sold Dykes for 2m + add ons which helped us through COVID. 

It sounds like you're going about it the right way at least, we managed to excel on picking up guys with a point to prove after being released from bigger clubs, or guys stepping straight up from the Juniors like Pittman did. 

If there was one thing I'd recommend that QP do, it would be to go down the stats based recruitment option. We had Martindale in charge of all transfers when we won League 1 onwards, he signed guys like Lithgow, Byrne, Hardie, Mullin and latterly Dykes based on stats based recruitment options. It meant we got players who fit the system, were undervalued by their clubs (or released) and were playing at a level worse than they could comfortably contribute to. Lithgow for example, at Airdrie and Clyde was apparently playing at a Premiership standard - I'd actually spoken to the guys that scouted him for Livi and it was pretty incredible seeing the pieces all together on his profile. It was the main reason we could compete at the top end despite having nowhere near that budget.

Even if you're not ready for the Championship surely you could stay up, the higher up the leagues you are the easier it all gets. It just presents more options for money and growth at a faster rate than consolidating in League 1 could offer.