Queens v Arbroath

9 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Agree re Cochrane. Not a day when many played well but he was good.

To suggest he was a waste of a jersey is hyperbole/stupidity on the OP's part.

He constantly gave the ball away and only when they were down a man in the second half did he look a tiny bit better. Still far too many sideways passes and cutting back and laying the responsibility off to someone else. If you think he was “good” I suggest you head first thing to specsavers on Monday morning. 

17 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Nouble is ridiculous as a player. A good touch for a big man etc etc.

Queens defenders will be having nightmares about him. Wins everything, ball sticks to him and what a control and touch. Curious to see where he goes next.

Thought we were actually alright at times. Could and should have scored a couple. Lacked a cutting edge.

Euan Maldini our best player. Cochrane was fine but wasted a couple of chances.

Disappointing afternoon but Arbroath are a very well drilled side and well worth the three points today.

Back to us in January when we end his loan tbf :D 

15 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

Livi have Jack Hamilton who scored 8 in 14 games from January for Arbroath last season. Maybe he should get more of a chance? He’s not had 90 minutes yet.

To be fair, Jack looks slow as f**k. We're used to strikers running about and chasing the ball but he just stands about looking grumpy half the time. Doesn't help that he's up front on his own but compared to Anderson he's not going to get a look in as it is

He constantly gave the ball away and only when they were down a man in the second half did he look a tiny bit better. Still far too many sideways passes and cutting back and laying the responsibility off to someone else. If you think he was “good” I suggest you head first thing to specsavers on Monday morning. 

He never gave it away any more often than the majority of the other players I thought. Gibson had a decent game but gave the ball away often as well. The main one literally leading to a goal. He tried to get forward when he got the ball.

I'm not sure why his name keeps cropping up for criticism tbh (before this game). I don't think he's been poor for us, he just hasn't been spectacular. It's still early days though and I'm happy to give him time as he's shown in glimpses he's capable. He seemed to switch positions a few times today which probably didn't help.

Its pretty much been said already. Nouble was outstanding. Deceptively quick, powerful, strong, telescopic legs and good touch. He has it all. It defies sanity Livi sent him out on loan and its hard to believe they wont recall him as soon as they can.

That said, to absolutely no surprise, Nicky Low ran the show for them. I doubt there's a better deep lying 'quarterback' midfielder in this division. Arbroath absolutely won a watch getting a fit Low back at this level. I expect he'll eventually break down again but until he does he's a fantastic signing for them. Nouble did great on the goal but it doesnt happen if Low doesnt recycle the ball, beat two defenders and send in a wicked cross.

Arbroath were a decent side before but the addition of Low and Nouble makes them far better. Thats probably the best opponent we've seen.

No real complaint from our side. We didnt do enough really. The longer the game went on the more likely Arbroath were to score on the break than we were to equalise. The sending off didnt help us. I'd rather have seen Connelly go through on goal. After it Arbroath sat deeper, we resorted to crosses to their taller defenders and were wasteful. Disappointing but not to take away from Arbroath who were excellent. Campbell is doing it again. Enjoy your weekend Lichties.

Its pretty much been said already. Nouble was outstanding. Deceptively quick, powerful, strong, telescopic legs and good touch. He has it all. It defies sanity Livi sent him out on loan and its hard to believe they wont recall him as soon as they can.
That said, to absolutely no surprise, Nicky Low ran the show for them. I doubt there's a better deep lying 'quarterback' midfielder in this division. Arbroath absolutely won a watch getting a fit Low back at this level. I expect he'll eventually break down again but until he does he's a fantastic signing for them. Nouble did great on the goal but it doesnt happen if Low doesnt recycle the ball, beat two defenders and send in a wicked cross.
Arbroath were a decent side before but the addition of Low and Nouble makes them far better. Thats probably the best opponent we've seen.
No real complaint from our side. We didnt do enough really. The longer the game went on the more likely Arbroath were to score on the break than we were to equalise. The sending off didnt help us. I'd rather have seen Connelly go through on goal. After it Arbroath sat deeper, we resorted to crosses to their taller defenders and were wasteful. Disappointing but not to take away from Arbroath who were excellent. Campbell is doing it again. Enjoy your weekend Lichties.

Enjoy your Saturday night waiting for Nicky low to break down again you utter clown [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Enjoy your Saturday night waiting for Nicky low to break down again you utter clown [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Bit of a bizarre reaction. I doubt you'll find any QoS fan (or any fan who's had the pleasure of watching Low) who doesn't rate Low highly. His injury record is horrific though and if he sees out his contract at Arbroath without picking up and injury it'll be a major surprise. Given how good he is and how likeable he is I hope he doesn't but looking at the record it's not wild to suggest he may get another injury.

If he wasn't injury prone he'd never have been at clubs like ours.

30th time we’ve conceded the first goal in a league game under Johnston. 1 win, 1 draw, 28 defeats.
4 wins and 14 defeats in the last 21 home league games. 
7 home league games without a win.
5 home league games in a row lost. One more and it equals the club record. Set in 2020. Would be typical, you wait 100 years for a record, then two come along at once.

Playing on such a dreadful surface every second week should in theory give us some sort of “advantage” but our home record is truly horrific and has been for a long time. It is bad enough watching football on that surface but when we lose almost every home game into the bargain it is little wonder that home attendances are woeful.

Players gave everything today but Arbroath deserved their win and Nouble delivered the best “target man” performance I have seen in a very long time. Not sure who at Livvy decided to loan out the big man but on the evidence of that display and earlier reports it is pretty obvious that he would walk into most Premiership starting 11s and to think that Bruce Anderson and Jack Hamilton are better options than Nouble defies all logic. Nouble almost singlehandedly created 4/5 great chances out of absolutely nothing when he was constantly surrounded by at least 3/4 QOS defenders. The worst feature from Queens’ perspective was the fact that Arbroath could and should have had another 3+ goals when down to 10 men. Debayo and Co were absolutely rag dolled and I have seldom seen such a well rounded target man - great hold up play but boy could he play on the deck. What a player!!!

I think we also learned a fair bit about our squad - central midfield is weak and McGrory and Cochrane can’t really play together, Paton is a passenger wide left (spent most of the first half marking full back Gold), forwards continually pick the wrong option in the final third.

Hugely disappointing result but Nouble was unplayable today and sometimes you have to tip your cap and say well done on a great win.

To be fair, Jack looks slow as f**k. We're used to strikers running about and chasing the ball but he just stands about looking grumpy half the time. Doesn't help that he's up front on his own but compared to Anderson he's not going to get a look in as it is

But he scores goals given a chance.

Paton was basically a passenger for the second game in a row. I stand to be corrected but presumably he was signed on the strength of his performances as predominantly a striker, or more central anyway, at Stranraer, so I don't follow the logic of Johnston playing him out wide or as a wing back.  As for Gibson, I don't think he was dreadful but it was probably one of his poorer performances, don't know what he was thinking in the lead up to the corner they scored from.  No complaints about the outcome, if you miss three "open goal" chances you probably get what's deserved. 

Let be honest this is a game of opinions. But let's remember all our players are following instructions from the manager. Why did we waste Nditi by picking up McKenna. Debayo got schooled by Nboule. He was second to every challenge and always let the ball bounce. Why don't we just play to our strengths not worry about the opposition strengths. When we pay so poorly we will always struggle to attract top loan players. Most of ours end up getting released by their clubs.

Ruben really has to do things quicker he slow the game down then thinks he has won a foul all the time. Connelly loses the ball a lot but is our only spark at this time. Cochrane and McGrory neat and tidy but Cochrane has to up his game he gives the ball away to often. Paton has to play as a forward he is totally wasted out wide. 

We missed lots of chances today that players with  composure with lap up. We could really do with a food quality loan striker from the PL league if the board could release the funds.

As expected Dick Campbell had his side well drilled and they carried out his instructions to a tee.  In comparison we were very much hit and hope. 

I lost count of the amount of times Debayo launched long balls to no-one.  Both he and Connelly have impressed in recent games but neither were at the races today, with Connelly's ball retention abysmal and crossing/corners just as bad either hitting the first man or falling behind players.

Paton is probably our most aware forward so I too am mystified as to why he is played in a wide role.  I thought Cochrane did reasonably well today, yes he can pick a poor pass but the lack of movement ahead of him contributes to that.  He does try to make things happen but sometimes he appears to be on a different wavelength to his forwards.  However our entire midfield seem to lose the place and the ball when pressed quickly.

If we're relying on Ruben for goals we're in trouble.  He does well in terms of winning balls and flicks, and he is a good dribbler, but he tends to lumber about and when through on goal is like a rabbit caught in the headlights.  When we really need an out-and-out poacher we seem to add another wide player to the squad and then play Paton on the wing.  

Even though he was playing against my own team and gave us no end of problems, I really enjoyed watching Nouble today.  As others have said he's a cut above this league.  Low controlled the midfield and Stewart, Henderson and O'Brien were also stand outs for me.  

Someone needs to have a word with the boy who came on at half-time about that man-bun/ponytail thing though...

Edited by Slipmat

4 hours ago, Flash said:

30th time we’ve conceded the first goal in a league game under Johnston. 1 win, 1 draw, 28 defeats.
4 wins and 14 defeats in the last 21 home league games. 
7 home league games without a win.
5 home league games in a row lost. One more and it equals the club record. Set in 2020. Would be typical, you wait 100 years for a record, then two come along at once.

These are absolutely dismal stats.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer