The best derby in Scotland - United v Dundee Sunday 19 September 2021

First legal pint was in The Robin Hood in Lochee High St, wearing DM's, Levi's, Fred Perry and a Fleet jumper while sporting a skinhead.

Fast forward a few years and I was in the queue for Fatty's wearing espadrilles, nae socks, pastel polo shirt and silver suit with the sleeves rolled up while sporting a mullet.

Sometimes I wished my younger self had kicked my slightly older self in the baws for thinking I was an extra from Miami Vice.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Watched the highlights on BBC and it sounds as if some folk are booing as players took the knee/took a stand.  Pretty sad.

There's genuine validity to the argument that taking the knee at kick off has lost some of it's impact, or is in a way problematic.

But, even accepting that; anyone - from any fan base - who reacts to what might now be just be a token gesture to opposing racism by booing is a fucking reprobate, making a far more revealing political statement than those kneeling.

Edited by captainkev

43 minutes ago, captainkev said:

There's genuine validity to the argument that taking the knee at kick off has lost some of it's impact, or is in a way problematic.

But, even accepting that; anyone - from any fan base - who reacts to what might now be just be a token gesture to opposing racism by booing is a fucking reprobate, making a far more revealing political statement than those kneeling.

Maybe I'm imagining things and shows how little attention I've paid, but didn't we (United) stop taking the knee at some point last season?

Just now, ArabFC said:

Maybe I'm imagining things and shows how little attention I've paid, but didn't we (United) stop taking the knee at some point last season?

Yeah, but wasn't it was a pointed gesture to show solidarity with The Rangers* after the shit-show with abuse to Kamara in a European tie?

*I know, the inherent sectarianism at that club makes them no less problematic.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Watched the highlights on BBC and it sounds as if some folk are booing as players took the knee/took a stand.  Pretty sad.

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

It may have been folk booing Dundee 'not taking the knee', although they are taking a 'stand against racism'. The support against racists has become muddled.

On another note, I spent a pleasant late morning/afternoon in the Prince of Brewers in Burton watching the game, a welcoming establishment full of jakies. £2.80 a pint for Strongbow cider or Carling. Opens at eleven ayem on a Sunday.

23 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I’m dead old and used to work across the road from Chequers. But it was on the Perth Road/Nethergate right across from the Queens Hotel, think it’s Tonic now. Went in there four or five times a week after work in the early eighties, and played the table top Galaxian machine to death.

Those were badass.

A good few years ago I played a Scottish amateur cup tie in Dundee and as was the tradition they took us back to a pub for a few beers. I can’t remember the name of the team we played or the pub they took us to but it was under a block of flats and didn’t have many if any windows. It didn’t look to welcoming but turned out to be a good afternoon.

Anybody got any idea where this might be and what it’s called?

13 hours ago, captainkev said:

It could be argued that any show of support for an issue like racism may diminish over time but I think that the impact has only been lessened by some clubs not doing it.  It is not problematic and those who claim it is are those who do not want to support the issue in the first place; the type who retort with ‘all lives matter’.

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It could be argued that any show of support for an issue like racism may diminish over time but I think that the impact has only been lessened by some clubs not doing it.  It is not problematic and those who claim it is are those who do not want to support the issue in the first place; the type who retort with ‘all lives matter’.

If the bigots still feel the need to boo, then it is still having an impact.

A good few years ago I played a Scottish amateur cup tie in Dundee and as was the tradition they took us back to a pub for a few beers. I can’t remember the name of the team we played or the pub they took us to but it was under a block of flats and didn’t have many if any windows. It didn’t look to welcoming but turned out to be a good afternoon.

Stobie Bar?

3 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

The Fairways Bar in Ardler would fit that description but that’s going back 30 years or so. 

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Stobie Bar?

Thanks for the response but looking at photos it wasn’t the stobie bar.

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

The Fairways Bar in Ardler would fit that description but that’s going back 30 years or so. 

I don’t think it was 30 years, maybe 25, but looking at photos I think that’s the place. Cheers.