Greenock Morton vs Raith Rovers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58525696

top reporting from the BBC as always could they not have at least got a picture from the match? That’s clearly Starks Park they’d be as well just sticking a picture of him doing his shopping or on his holiday he’s posted on Social Media if they're that lazy

Just watched the highlights. We do love to miss at least a couple of absolute sitters each match. 

Looks like we didn't really offer up any clear openings to Morton but we did give them a handful of clear sights at goal from around the edge of the box. On another day we'd be punished. 

50 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58525696

top reporting from the BBC as always could they not have at least got a picture from the match? That’s clearly Starks Park they’d be as well just sticking a picture of him doing his shopping or on his holiday he’s posted on Social Media if they're that lazy

I think Gus MacPherson is prone to a bit of hype if he thinks Morton could have had two or three goals. We missed far easier chances - maybe he'd prefer if we'd won 4-3...

20 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

He's had six months. He's kept a hold of the players he wanted and brought in his own. If we're a soft touch now it's because he's made us one.

I don’t disagree, but it’s where we go from here I’m talking about.

He could start by binning the three/five at the back and getting three players in central midfield.

And demanding a bit of energy and general competitiveness as standard, maybe even - radical idea - prioritising attitude when picking the team. We’re too passive, too slow, and too prone to letting the opposition set the tempo; lose the first goal and we’re long-odds second favourites…

There are all sorts of issues with shape and tactical approach, but rule no. 1 when you step onto a football pitch hasn’t changed: compete.

If we’d competed with more energy and purpose from the start yesterday, that game finishes in a draw; same at home to QoS (or maybe even a win).

That aspect shouldn’t be hard to change, but we need to start seeing it, and soon.

We 'competed' just fine yesterday (and have done in all but one of the games so far). We just give away soft goals and don't have the guile to craft enough chances of our own to get back in the game. No amount of increased tempo or more huffing and puffing would change that, when your chump manager's grand plan is to just float crosses into the box against Christophe fucking Berra. The lack of fresh ideas in the dugout in the second half yesterday was damning.

We should move to a proper central midfield instead of indulging this useless number 10 strategy, but there are bigger problems to solve on top of that. 

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

We 'competed' just fine yesterday (and have done in all but one of the games so far). We just give away soft goals and don't have the guile to craft enough chances of our own to get back in the game. No amount of increased tempo or more huffing and puffing would change that, when your chump manager's grand plan is to just float crosses into the box against Christophe fucking Berra. The lack of fresh ideas in the dugout in the second half yesterday was damning.

We should move to a proper central midfield instead of indulging this useless number 10 strategy, but there are bigger problems to solve on top of that. 

I actually agree with most of that… but I don’t agree that we competed properly yesterday (or against QoS). In both games, the opposition were quicker, more aggressive, more confident in the way they went about things.

Among the many things we need to do, upping the zip (not the huffing and puffing) 10% and being generally more ruthless is the most basic… and therefore the easiest to address, even for a limited coach/manager.

Watched the highlights and was truly thankful I wasn’t able to buy the stream. I took all the shaky and wobble comments as hyperbolic complaints, they weren’t. The TonTV commentary team is excellent, now they need to find a camera operator without vertigo.

43 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

The highlights were obviously Morton's editing - it seems that apart from the goal we hardly got a kick in the first half. Our own highlights are well respected as a fair reflection of play.

Nope, I edited them. We only had one decent chance by my notes the first half and that was the goal. Ross Matthews had a weak shot if I recall, but it wasn’t worthy of going in the package. I’ve edited nearly all our highlights  packages for some time. TonTV gave us the entire match footage after the game, not an edit.

EDIT: I will say it can be quite hard sometimes for the highlights to reflect a game properly as they are basically a collection of what is perceived to be the better chances in a game (or key moments like decent penalty shouts, red cards, etc.). Not talking about this game specifically, but say a team has a lot of decent build up play but it doesn’t result in shots or near misses from crosses, it might not come through in the packages. 

Edited by Roath Raver
More highlights chat

44 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

Nope, I edited them. We only had one decent chance by my notes the first half and that was the goal. Ross Matthews had a weak shot if I recall, but it wasn’t worthy of going in the package. I’ve edited nearly all our highlights  packages for some time. TonTV gave us the entire match footage after the game, not an edit

Cheers for that.

Our camera work for games has been absolutely fine since the second week of the covid restart but for some reason the last two home games it's taken a massive drop. Think it was the queen's game I used the stream for and the camera work was actually giving me a headache. 

Em......were you at Cappielow today?...... I assume you realise The Cowshed is the covered terracing opposite the main stand ....right?
Yes the Raith shot was fronm the edge of the box. The guy in the cowshed is behind the shot ie, the shooting players back is to him. Pretty simple really.