Greenock Morton vs Raith Rovers

Didn't think our players were any worse than Raith's on the day but the difference felt like they were an average team playing badly but with a system set out by the manager that suited their players and were able to eek out a win in the end because of that, while we were an average team playing badly but set up by a manager to chase lost causes and win second balls off hopeless long balls and crosses. 

When we did actually get our foot on the ball on the odd occasion we gave raith problems but it was all too rare. Felt sorry for Oksanen and Lyon in Central midfield who were playing a different sport to the rest of the Morton players at times. 

Edited by port-ton

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Wasn’t he the boy who kept Morton in the league with his goals against Airdrie?

Yes but it's quite literally the only thing he's done in 3 seasons. He has 1 goal against Championship opposition I think and it came in a heavy defeat. Scoring a couple against dross like Airdrie changes nothing. 

We're obviously a bit toothless up front at the moment and it's costing us games.

Defensively we were fine and Hamilton had very little to do. Raith goal had taken a deflection from a well struck shot. I thought the keeper would have got to it as well.

Our downfall is we didn't create much and didn't test the Raith keeper either. 

Lyon had his best game for a while alongside  Oksanen.  But up front nobody really got passmarks. Defensively McLean wasn't great and Strapp's distribution is awful and has been for a while. 

Reilly looks miles off being match fit. Big Robbie had our only decent effort on target, apart from that his head went down and should have been subbed. He seems to be the new target for abuse, but in reality he's not worse than any of front men we had on today.

Gus under real pressure now I would say as it's a results driven business.  Has sacking isn't imminent, but he needs a win from somewhere or the pressure will grow.

Can we please get another bit of the stadium for the away fans, not going to lie I'd happily pay extra to sit anywhere else as the Main Stand is horrific for leg room.  

7 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I'm of the opinion that Zanatta's better than Armstrong. Dario has more goal threat and doesnt spoil so many attacks with wasted crosses.

I'd have to agree with better than Dan Mk2 but not as good as Dan Mk1 but he's certainly showing the potential to be.  He's proved the doubters wrong and I've literally no idea how Ayr couldn't see a player in him?? 

7 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

We're obviously a bit toothless up front at the moment and it's costing us games.

Defensively we were fine and Hamilton had very little to do. Raith goal had taken a deflection from a well struck shot. I thought the keeper would have got to it as well.

Our downfall is we didn't create much and didn't test the Raith keeper either. 

Lyon had his best game for a while alongside  Oksanen.  But up front nobody really got passmarks. Defensively McLean wasn't great and Strapp's distribution is awful and has been for a while. 

Reilly looks miles off being match fit. Big Robbie had our only decent effort on target, apart from that his head went down and should have been subbed. He seems to be the new target for abuse, but in reality he's not worse than any of front men we had on today.

Gus under real pressure now I would say as it's a results driven business.  Has sacking isn't imminent, but he needs a win from somewhere or the pressure will grow.

Over the course we did create the better chances though, and did test Hamilton, when Matthews really should have scored rather than striking it straight at said keeper.

To sum up. Morton. Absolute gash. Rovers. Less so. But still deserved. 

Edited by Wardy

58 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Morton don't actually look a bad team all be it not a good one either but I thought you were certainly worse last season.  Defiantly lacking someone to control the middle for you and resorted to a few long balls which I thought your 9 did well to battle our CBs for, he holds his man off well.  

We are on track to be this season's Alloa. Competitive enough in every game, but cut adrift once Dunfermline and Hamilton empty enough folk to get their act together. We are better than last season's omnishambles but it's also a tougher league. We haven't improved enough - not least in the dugout where we rewarded him with a two year contract for beating mighty Airdrie. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

We are on track to be this season's Alloa. Competitive enough in every game, but cut adrift once Dunfermline and Hamilton empty enough folk to get their act together. We are better than last season's omnishambles but it's also a tougher league. We haven't improved enough - not least in the dugout where we rewarded him with a two year contract for beating mighty Airdrie. 

The good news for you is PG stayed his execution with a tie today. That’ll close the window before they move him out, if they even do, and put any possible replacement in a hole. The Accies fans seem plenty pessimistic about reviving this season, and are already mooting a back to back relegation chance. You aren’t necessarily doomed, but you do need to find scoring.

I honestly thought Morton were much better than last season and, over the piece, a draw would have been a fair result (ditto our game v Queens last Saturday).

The only downgrade in Morton's team is the goalkeeper - the boy with the ponytail wasn't a world beater last season, but Flap Jack is abysmal.

Big Gozie might have thrived in that game today and I honestly think Morton will survive comfortably this season.

As for Rovers,it wasn't an easy watch, but it was never going to be with four central midfielders.

I thought Berra and Zanatta were appalling signings, but happy to have been proved wrong thus far. Toss up between the two of them for Man of the Match today.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Morton TV commentary again today. I always like hearing it from an opposition perspective and the commentary was informative, insightful, enthusiastic and respectful to the Rovers.

We were rotten today. In saying that a point a piece would have been fair but can't grudge Raith the win. We offered nothing in an attacking sense until the final five mins. Gus under a bit of pressure and he needs to pick our best 11 and a formation that brings the best out of the players we have. Oksanen and Lyon played well today despite watching the ball being launched over the time and time again. We missed big Gozie today and there was absolutely no need to play with a back 5. Depending on strapp and hynes for width and attacks options will never end well. Thought young mcentee played really well 

I'm of the opinion that Zanatta's better than Armstrong. Dario has more goal threat and doesnt spoil so many attacks with wasted crosses.

Dario looks so much fitter and stronger than the last time he was with us. I didn’t see today’s game but he’s looked a real threat every time I’ve seen him this season. He’s positive and direct and dangerous whenever he gets the ball. Completely proved any doubters wrong.

Decent win.  Got our goal and then defended really well.  Berra and Benedictus strolled through the game, again.

Zanatta looks like he will offer more than either Armstrong or Kennedy did last season.  His work rate is superb.

Morton were average, as were we, but you do feel that they have zero quality.

31 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I honestly thought Morton were much better than last season and, over the piece, a draw would have been a fair result (ditto our game v Queens last Saturday).

The only downgrade in Morton's team is the goalkeeper - the boy with the ponytail wasn't a world beater last season, but Flap Jack is abysmal.

Big Gozie might have thrived in that game today and I honestly think Morton will survive comfortably this season.

As for Rovers,it wasn't an easy watch, but it was never going to be with four central midfielders.

I thought Berra and Zanatta were appalling signings, but happy to have been proved wrong thus far. Toss up between the two of them for Man of the Match today.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Morton TV commentary again today. I always like hearing it from an opposition perspective and the commentary was informative, insightful, enthusiastic and respectful to the Rovers.

Flap Jack has been arguably our most consistent performer this season and been comfortably better than McAdams in my opinion who won all our player of the year awards last year and who I was a fan of. 

Thought the only foot wrong he put today was when he almost went over on his ankle collecting the ball from the wee Dublin end. Delighted with him so far and long may it continue. 

I would like him to look to play balls out to the back line when they are on as we had plenty opportunities to today where he hoofed it forward but I get the feeling he's being told specifically not to do that and for us to win second balls from knockdowns in the final third. 

Fucking hell have read our supporters comments we might as well chuck it now.

I must have blue vision or some other ailment because to me we played better football than we have in the last few season, controlled parts of the game but as others said correctly were a bit toothless and as a result if we don't find a way of converting chances created will get relegated.

Also defence seemed solid in first half until McLean lost his way, should have punted it out the park first chance he had, caught trying to play football.

Thought we were worth a draw today even if RR goal was a lucky deflection they did miss a few easy chances in the second half.

Let's see some positives from our side.

Thought Oksanen was good in the first half but less effective when played deeper in second although this gave Lyon an opportunity to come into the game. Will improve once the gets a grasp of our fast playing style.

Allan and Reilly seemed a decent pairing. Require Reilly to find his shooting boots. Got into good positions but failed to to get a shot away. As far as I can remember we had only one half decent shot on target all game.

McEntee seemed decent at CB

Robbie M may have slain the opposition in last year's play offs but he has surely runout of greenies and must be reduced to the bench if at all listed in future games.

On plus side for RR the boy Rile-Snow put in a shift and as he is only signed until Jan 22 might do us a turn..

Up and on miracles might happen and see us getting a second result in two years at Inverness next week.

Edited by Paisley Ton
I have seen the future

12 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Flap Jack has been arguably our most consistent performer this season and been comfortably better than McAdams in my opinion who won all our player of the year awards last year and who I was a fan of. 

Thought the only foot wrong he put today was when he almost went over on his ankle collecting the ball from the wee Dublin end. Delighted with him so far and long may it continue. 

I would like him to look to play balls out to the back line when they are on as we had plenty opportunities to today where he hoofed it forward but I get the feeling he's being told specifically not to do that and for us to win second balls from knockdowns in the final third. 

Fair enough.

You've seen much more of him than me this season.

He was rank rotten at Dundee last season and they prospered as soon as they dropped him.

I thought he might have done better at the goal today, although it was difficult to see from the stream how much of a deflection,if any, there was on Zanatta's shot.

I'm old enough to remember when pretty much every First Division / Championship / Second Tier side had a decent goalkeeper who played with them for years -

David Wylie at Morton,

Jim Gallagher at Clydebank,

Gordon Arthur at the Rovers,

Stewart Kennedy at Forfar.....

I'm sure there are more.

2 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I actually thought it was the other way about. 

One up at half time with our only attempt at goal, while Morton had had a few half chances, although all from outside the box. 

First 10 or 15 minutes of the second half was more of the same, and Morton really should have equalised, either through Muirhead or Reilly, but from around the 55th minute to the 85th, I thought we were the better side and spurned about four good chances of our own. 

Last five minutes was a bit tense, and after the embarrassment of losing a four goal lead to Hamilton, conceding to a Jack Hamilton equaliser may have been almost as mortifying, but fair play to Berra and Benedictus, they won so many headers between them. 

Wasn’t impressed by us overall, but a hard fought win nonetheless. 

Can’t remember exact numbers but possession stats wise we were well up in the first half when I looked. At full-time Morton had brought it back to 50/50. Admittedly we didn’t do much with it. Thought the Morton chances were pretty speculative long shots. Got the crowd oohing but never any real danger of scoring. 

Zanatta has been excellent and was definitely our main threat. He’s been a great re-signing. 

10 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Fair enough.

You've seen much more of him than me this season.

He was rank rotten at Dundee last season and they prospered as soon as they dropped him.

I thought he might have done better at the goal today, although it was difficult to see from the stream how much of a deflection,if any, there was on Zanatta's shot.

I'm old enough to remember when pretty much every First Division / Championship / Second Tier side had a decent goalkeeper who played with them for years -

David Wylie at Morton,

Jim Gallagher at Clydebank,

Gordon Arthur at the Rovers,

Stewart Kennedy at Forfar.....

I'm sure there are more.

I was right behind the shot in the cowshed. There was a big deflection and Hamilton had already dived and it flew past him. I'd have fancied him to save the original shot but just one of those things. 

14 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Fucking hell have read our supporters comments we might as well chuck it now.

I must have blue vision or some other ailment because to me we played better football than we have in the last few season, controlled parts of the game but as others said correctly were a bit toothless and as a result if we don't find a way of converting chances created will get relegated.

Also defence seemed solid in first half until McLean loss his way, should have punted it out the park first chance he had caught trying to play football.

Thought we were worth a draw today even if RR goal was a lucky deflection they did miss a few easy chances in the second half.

Let's see some positives from our side.

Thought Oksanen was good in the first half but less effective when played deeper in second although this gave Lyon to come into the game. Will improve once the gets a grasp of our fast playing style.

Allan and Reilly seemed a decent pairing. Require Reilly to find his shooting boots. Got into good positions but fail to to get a shot away. As far as I can remember we had only one half decent shot of target all game.

McEntee seemed decent at CB

Robbie M may have slain the opposition in last year's play offs but he has surely runout of greenies and must be reduced to the bench if at all listed in future games.

On plus side for RR the boy Rile-Snow put in a shift and as he is only signed until Jan 22 might do us a turn..

Up and on miracles might happen and see us getting a second result in two years at Inverness next week.

This is the sort of birthday card pish that MCT and Gus will be dining out on until we're midtable in League One.

We should be better than last season - otherwise there'd be no point contesting this campaign. We're not good enough under this slaphead manager to pick up actual, real points though. Which is all that matters.

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Didn't think our players were any worse than Raith's on the day but the difference felt like they were an average team playing badly but with a system set out by the manager that suited their players and were able to eek out a win in the end because of that, while we were an average team playing badly but set up by a manager to chase lost causes and win second balls off hopeless long balls and crosses. 

When we did actually get our foot on the ball on the odd occasion we gave raith problems but it was all too rare. Felt sorry for Oksanen and Lyon in Central midfield who were playing a different sport to the rest of the Morton players at times. 

Agree. System football as laid down seems to deprive players of initiative.....we all saw when Strapp was wide and nobody near him but .....the ball has to go along the line as the boss says.

I thought Lewis Strapp was underwhelming today but he's doing what his gaffer told him to do.

oh well.