Annan Athletic Vs Stenhousmuir

Looking forward to this game after what seems like a lifetime.

Pleased (and surprised) at the start we have made this season and playing some good football too.

Good to see the goals being spread out across the team and feel we have a number of options up front which we didn't have past couple of years.

Anyway, decent enough day, bar open and hopefully three points with maybe Kelty dropping some!

Prediction - Annan 2 - (Anderson, Smith) - Stenny - 0

Mon th Annan!!

That was a brutal game of football between two mediocre sides. I'm not sure we entirely merited the three points but I do not care - it's a tremendous feeling to get the first win of the campaign under our belts and, with a run of presentable fixtures ahead, I'd like to think we can begin to pull away from the bottom of the table.

Second-half goals from Tam Orr and Adam Brown were enough to give us the win, although Bobby McCartney's late header made for an uncomfortable finish. I was down the far end and wasn't best placed to see our goals, although Orr's looked like it was prodded in from about three yards following a stramash and Brown's appeared to take an enormous deflection before hitting the back of the net.

It's hard to tell how well we played - this wasn't the kind of game for fancy football, even if Annan's approach play was, at times, easy on the eye - it was about scrapping, clearing your lines, pushing up, winning battles, gaining yards, and we largely did this well (up until McCartney's goal, at least). Everyone should be complimented for their effort today. David Wilson made a big difference in goals and, even although he's not the most commanding presence, did well throughout. A goalkeeper who saves shots - can you believe it! Nicky Jamieson was the best player on the park and thwarted Annan at every turn and was abetted well by Adam Corbett and then Sean Crighton at centre-back. Michael Miller added some much-needed legs into the middle of the park and Robert Thomson turned in a great shift up top and chipped in with a lovely assist for Brown's goal. The game seemed to pass Cammy Graham by, however, and, despite his goal, Orr just hasn't really got going yet for Stenhousemuir.

Based on that performance, I'm surprised by how well Annan have started this season. They shift it around well but, when it came to the showdown, it was all about getting the big lads up to noise things up. Stenhousemuir didn't relent, however - I suppose it makes a big difference when your opponents don't defend as generously as Stranraer or Stirling Albion. Maybe those podcast boys were onto something, eh, Philosopher?

Let's kick on from here and see what we can do!

How on earth Stenny won this game I do not know - not a great side.

Annan started the game fine but were shit at finishing so had nothing to show for it.

Stenny came out all guns blazing in 2nd. Half - a poor scrambled affair for the first goal and the deflected shot for the 2nd. probably summed up our day.

I blame it on the Lincoln branch of Annan supporters - poor souls now been up 7 times and never seen Annan win.

Gonna be a very tight league this year- any one of 9 could finish bottom. ( Kelty top obviously)

How on earth Stenny won this game I do not know - not a great side.
Annan started the game fine but were shit at finishing so had nothing to show for it.
Stenny came out all guns blazing in 2nd. Half - a poor scrambled affair for the first goal and the deflected shot for the 2nd. probably summed up our day.
I blame it on the Lincoln branch of Annan supporters - poor souls now been up 7 times and never seen Annan win.
Gonna be a very tight league this year- any one of 9 could finish bottom. ( Kelty top obviously)
Round ye