The 20th Anniversary of the 9/11 Attack

Ric

Well this thread is making me feel old..... i was 17 coming back from college blissfully unware, i didn't really read or care for the news back then, i just wanted to get home and knock one off as soon as possible. I saw a few people with newspapers showing a fire in some building i had no idea about and thought i wonder what had happened, once i got home both the towers were gone. Watching it unfold live on the TV must have been a huge shock.

Edited by red23

34 minutes ago, red23 said:

Well this thread is making me feel old..... i was 17 coming back from college blissfully unware, i didn't really read or care for the news back then, i just wanted to get home and knock one off as soon as possible. I saw a few people with newspapers showing a fire in some building i had no idea about and thought i wonder what had happened, once i got home both the towers were gone. Watching it unfold live on the TV must have been a huge shock.

Stewarts Lee has a great comment about Colombia.

There is a lot of 1990s nostalgia kicking around just now. Much of it is from people now in their 40s and 50s thinking back to their youth. But for me there was a touch more to it. The Berlin Wall came down in 1989, and the twin towers in 2001. That period in between seemed somehow more innocent. No Cold War, no War on Terror.  The biggest news stories involved OJ Simpson and Bill Clinton. 

There was also more optimism and expectation of the new millennium. 9/11 destroyed all that. War, racism, terror, Islamophobia, all bubbled up. We never got the 21st century we wanted. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

There is a lot of 1990s nostalgia kicking around just now. Much of it is from people now in their 40s and 50s thinking back to their youth. But for me there was a touch more to it. The Berlin Wall came down in 1989, and the twin towers in 2001. That period in between seemed somehow more innocent. No Cold War, no War on Terror.  The biggest news stories involved OJ Simpson and Bill Clinton. 

There was also more optimism and expectation of the new millennium. 9/11 destroyed all that. War, racism, terror, Islamophobia, all bubbled up. We never got the 21st century we wanted. 

We all thought we'd have flying cars by now.

Instead we have phones that can put dog ears on you.

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In hindsight the banking crash at the end of 2008 was what killed the fun. Despite 9/11 everything was going pretty swimmingly until then.

16 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

That period in between seemed somehow more innocent.

Considering kids in the 70s and 80s went to school after being prepared by the media and the government for an upcoming nuclear attack.. yeah.. once the Berlin Wall fell and the Cold War 'warmed', the innocence of that time you mention is partly down to several generations taking a breather from permanent anxiety.

Let's not forget this absolute nightmare fuel..

Maybe I've just been a little conditioned by the time (after all fairly brutal PSAs were a 70s trope) but I don't think I've ever seen a more disturbing PSA broadcast these days.

The big change in the UK/Europe came after the shoe bomber Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane with a liquid bomb in his shoes around 2006. Before that you could take a carry out of glass bottles in your hand luggage no questions asked.  

Not security related, but the biggest change I remember was banning smoking on flights. It seems mental now to think that you were allowed to have naked flames in a confined pressurised space surrounded by jet fuel

Not sure when it got banned, sometime in the mid 90s, I think

1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

Not security related, but the biggest change I remember was banning smoking on flights. It seems mental now to think that you were allowed to have naked flames in a confined pressurised space surrounded by jet fuel

Not sure when it got banned, sometime in the mid 90s, I think

Probably ca. 2004/5 that smoking was completely banned on flights. Used to fly Air France very often on long-haul. Smoking in your seat had been discontinued, but they still had a smokers „corner“ which you could smoke in, after they‘d done the initial main meal. 

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

The big change in the UK/Europe came after the shoe bomber Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane with a liquid bomb in his shoes around 2006. Before that you could take a carry out of glass bottles in your hand luggage no questions asked.  

I'm sure that was supposed to be a temporary change. Remember some chat relatively recently about liquid compatible scanners coming in that would finally allow you to take a bottle of water you may have purchased outwith the airport on board again. Not flown for a couple of years for obvious reasons but you still couldn't do it last time I flew. Right pain in the arse tbh.

I must've been in 1st or 2nd year, don't think we got told about it at school but I remember turning the telly on when I got in and seeing the rolling footage. I had a paper round at the time and remember the pictures of the explosions on all of the front covers. I also recall waking up to news on the radio that we had bombed Iraq a few weeks (or months?) later. Nievely found that quite exciting at first.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Considering kids in the 70s and 80s went to school after being prepared by the media and the government for an upcoming nuclear attack.. yeah.. once the Berlin Wall fell and the Cold War 'warmed', the innocence of that time you mention is partly down to several generations taking a breather from permanent anxiety.

Let's not forget this absolute nightmare fuel..

Maybe I've just been a little conditioned by the time (after all fairly brutal PSAs were a 70s trope) but I don't think I've ever seen a more disturbing PSA broadcast these days.

I like that the “fall-out” makes noises reminiscent of something from The Clangers when falling to the ground.

The fall-out warning noise around 2:30 also made me want to play Skyrim.

Edited by Scott-Replay

3 hours ago, EH75 said:

I also recall waking up to news on the radio that we had bombed Iraq a few weeks (or months?) later. Nievely found that quite exciting at first.

I was at school when Gulf War I kicked off, and a few folk I knew were absolutely soiling their knickers over AR BRAVE BOYS going in to Iraq and killing people.

Kids are weird.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I was at school when Gulf War I kicked off, and a few folk I knew were absolutely soiling their knickers over AR BRAVE BOYS going in to Iraq and killing people.

Kids are weird.

The talk at the start of Gulf War 1 was of a million casualties and having to conscript people my age. Iraq had a big army and the papers must have been briefed that they would put up a better fight. I recall at the time folk were buzzing at the possibility of being given a gun and sent to Iraq.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

The talk at the start of Gulf War 1 was of a million casualties and having to conscript people my age. Iraq had a big army and the papers must have been briefed that they would put up a better fight. I recall at the time folk were buzzing at the possibility of being given a gun and sent to Iraq.

Aye, although a cynic might suggest that it's in the papers' interests to make out that every adversary is a massive badass. They aren't going to sell much from coverage of a foregone conclusion.

One of the unpleasant side effects of our obsession with the World Wars is that some folk would really like another one so they can dash off and play the hero, and we soon won't have any old soldiers left to slap some sense into them.