The 20th Anniversary of the 9/11 Attack

Ric

I was just about too young to remember it all happening at the time, but have grown up with the aftermath being a continuing wee news item on TV.

There was a decent documentary on Netflix recently. Covered the events that day and the following actions in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last 20 years. Was quite depressing, but hardly surprising, to see the timeline of very aggressive/illegal foreign policy decisions and monumental f**k ups that has left those countries in the mess they are just now.

For all that 9/11 may have lead to significant changes in the US and west in general, it means f**k all in comparison to the suffering in the middle east. 

Also, Americans putting the month first is also very questionable behaviour. 

Steal beams and that.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The big change in the UK/Europe came after the shoe bomber Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane with a liquid bomb in his shoes around 2006. Before that you could take a carry out of glass bottles in your hand luggage on questions asked.  

Nae, still say it was the mid 80's, there was not checks apart from looking at your passport. No bag search, metal detectors f**k all.  Just get on the plane.

15 minutes ago, TheBruce said:

The terror those victims experienced is unimaginable. May they RIP.

20 years on, I still find myself thinking about those in the South Tower, who, having witnessed the plane hitting the North Tower realised a second plane was now heading straight for them. Then there were those who, trapped in the upper floors, had to decide whether to jump, or be burned to death. 

22 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Slight aside but I seem to remember a 6-year old me getting annoyed that, whilst the champions league group games on the Tuesday night (just a few hours after the attacks) had gone ahead, the matches the following night were postponed as a mark of respect ruining my Wednesday night plans.

It confused me at the time that the games on the actual day of 9/11 weren’t cancelled but those the following day were, but I assume perhaps the full scale of the atrocity hadn’t become apparent by 7:45pm on the Tuesday evening. 

I was just going to post something about this.  I'm sure the game on ITV that night was a Liverpool game at Annfield (against who I can't remember) and it went ahead as planned.  Man United were meant to play the following night and their game was cancelled.

Folk have mentioned the internet going down that afternoon but I remember getting onto the computer that night and couldn't get it to work.  It was still dial-up at this point but around about 8ish it started working again but extremely slowly and I don't think it'd even let me get far past the Wanadoo homepage (remember them?).

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure what ‘visual search query image’ is, but knowing you it will be very witty.

The gif I posted shows up in your quote, so not sure what the issue is.

And yes, it is.

I was off Primary School due to being ill and spent the day at my grandparents watching it with them, was very much in the 'thought it was a film at first' camp. Was too young to really understand it but it did feel massive, like it completely changed the general mood and made folk suddenly feel a bit less secure, however i was too young to recognise that so maybe i'm saying it in hindsight having read and heard loads about how much of a watershed it was. 

The documentary on iPlayer following Bush minute by minute on the day is very interesting, the Netflix series that came out the other day is also a very good illustration of how the US government had a collective heads gone in the weeks that followed. Been mentioned a fair bit on here but the Conflicted podcast with former Al-Qaeda member Aimen Dean is probably the most interesting insight into the whole thing, the planning of it, their motives and also how preventable it was. 

It is strange having grown up during the 2000s with 9/11, the subsequent wars and then the financial crash. I've no recollection of a time where things weren't a bit miserable or tense politically/socially. The way folk talk about the time from the mid 90's up until 9/11, where there seemed to be a bit of optimism and even naivety is hard to imagine now, although i'm sure a fair bit of it is rose tinted. 

Edited by Fratelli

I was sitting with Mrs Ranter on Amadores beach in Gran Canaria when a dude on a sunbed near us came back from the beach bar and told us about the first plane hitting (at that time no one knew deliberate or accident).

We were staying in the Altamar, which at that time had coin operated TVs.  By the time we got up to the room at teatime, it was obvious what had happened, so it was a quick dinner out, then back to the room to feed the telly like a puggy for the rest of the evening.

Flying home 4 days later was a bit of a faff to say the least. Taken to the airport hours earlier than normal, and then delayed, delayed, delayed while every person and item of luggage in the airport was scrutinised over and over.

Edited by Boghead ranter

47 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

20 years on, I still find myself thinking about those in the South Tower, who, having witnessed the plane hitting the North Tower realised a second plane was now heading straight for them. Then there were those who, trapped in the upper floors, had to decide whether to jump, or be burned to death. 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a48031/the-falling-man-tom-junod/

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Yes, horror, when I watched the doc, took me a few wanks before I got to sleep.

I'm usually a one off one sleep guy.

This holiday from the P&B quiz .ffs Saturday, were so much better. @Eednud you want do do next week again?

7 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Yes, horror, when I watched the doc, took me a few wanks before I got to sleep.

I'm usually a one off one sleep guy.

This holiday from the P&B quiz .ffs Saturday, were so much better. @Eednud you want do do next week again?

Are you asking @Eednud to give you a w**k next Saturday?