The 20th Anniversary of the 9/11 Attack

Ric

I was in primary school. I don’t remember watching it in class but I remember being told about it by a neighbour when walking home. Went to my mates to see the aftermath. Obviously had no idea about the impact on society or whatever.

I do remember watching the episode of “Airline” when they recorded the day of 9/11. People going fucking mental because multiple aircrafts have been hi jacked and the airlines having the audacity to ground all its aircraft. 

I was living in London at the time. I was 11 years old and had just started secondary school. I didn't hear anything about the attacks until my mum picked me up from school.

The first thing she said when I got into the car was that two planes had been deliberately flown into the twin towers.

I spent most of that night watching the news coverage.

Even to an 11 year old child, it was clear that these awful attacks were going to change the world we live in for the foreseeable future, maybe even forever.

4 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Anyone got the Scottish fitba results from that evening?

Scottish League Cup - September 11th 2001

Alloa Athletic 4-0 Peterhead

Clyde 2-2 Stenhousemuir

Dumbarton 2-0 Clydebank

East Fife 1-0 Arbroath

East Stirlingshire 0-3 Queen Of The South

Forfar Athletic 1-2 Falkirk

Raith Rovers 1-0 Montrose

Ross County 3-0 Brechin City

Airdrieonians 3-0 Morton

Albion Rovers 0-2 Inverness CT

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Partick Thistle

10 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was living in London at the time. I was 11 years old and had just started secondary school. I didn't hear anything about the attacks until my mum picked me up from school.

The first thing she said when I got into the car was that two planes had been deliberately flown into the twin towers.

I spent most of that night watching the news coverage.

Even to an 11 year old child, it was clear that these awful attacks were going to change the world we live in for the foreseeable future, maybe even forever.

I thought from previous posts that you were just starting Uni and assumed you were late teens.  Then again I don’t pay much attention.

11 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Anyone got the Scottish fitba results from that evening?

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Your coupon will have expired by now.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Scottish League Cup - September 11th 2001

Alloa Athletic 4-0 Peterhead

Clyde 2-2 Stenhousemuir

Dumbarton 2-0 Clydebank

East Fife 1-0 Arbroath

East Stirlingshire 0-3 Queen Of The South

Forfar Athletic 1-2 Falkirk

Raith Rovers 1-0 Montrose

Ross County 3-0 Brechin City

Airdrieonians 3-0 Morton

Albion Rovers 0-2 Inverness CT

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Partick Thistle

Slight aside but I seem to remember a 6-year old me getting annoyed that, whilst the champions league group games on the Tuesday night (just a few hours after the attacks) had gone ahead, the matches the following night were postponed as a mark of respect ruining my Wednesday night plans.

It confused me at the time that the games on the actual day of 9/11 weren’t cancelled but those the following day were, but I assume perhaps the full scale of the atrocity hadn’t become apparent by 7:45pm on the Tuesday evening. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I'd never been on a plane until 2000 and can't remember much about it, but air travel after 9/11 has been an absolute faff. Can anybody comment on how easy the whole process was prior to this?

The big change in the UK/Europe came after the shoe bomber Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane with a liquid bomb in his shoes around 2006. Before that you could take a carry out of glass bottles in your hand luggage no questions asked.  

Edited by Detournement