Cove vs Montrose

2 minutes ago, Cove1922 said:

Disappointing result again.  Hopefully be back to winning ways soon.  

I notice the Cove facebook page is quite quiet tonight.  Wondering if the club have started to censure posters they don't like.....

Agree, at 1-0 up we looked in the ascendency and I didn't see Montrose scoring. Frustrating to concede a pen and drop 2 points. In the end we didn't take enough of our chances when we broke their defensive line and a draw was almost about right.

We lacked some width or more to the point a winger who wanted to take on their FB and hit that byline.

Yeah the fans Facebook page is very quiet. Anyone who talks out appears to get booted out sadly.

Good to see McKenzie back in the sticks, where he deserves, but we can't get our best back 4 on the pitch at all let alone consistently. Thought Morgyn player his best game for us. I'm not a fan of his it must be said.

We need to ruthlessly close out games when we are ahead if we're going to be serious title challengers otherwise playoffs will be our best hope

17 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Agree, at 1-0 up we looked in the ascendency and I didn't see Montrose scoring. Frustrating to concede a pen and drop 2 points. In the end we didn't take enough of our chances when we broke their defensive line and a draw was almost about right.

We lacked some width or more to the point a winger who wanted to take on their FB and hit that byline.

Yeah the fans Facebook page is very quiet. Anyone who talks out appears to get booted out sadly.

Good to see McKenzie back in the sticks, where he deserves, but we can't get our best back 4 on the pitch at all let alone consistently. Thought Morgyn player his best game for us. I'm not a fan of his it must be said.

We need to ruthlessly close out games when we are ahead if we're going to be serious title challengers otherwise playoffs will be our best hope

1-0 is never enough, unfortunately a far cry from the days where 1-0 was just the start.  Though if you take players out with that mentality, the mentality changes within the team.  

We definitely need to go on a strong run otherwise play offs will be the best we can hope for.  A tricky pre season with a lot of players missing, but a strong youth development department would've allowed the club to cope with the issues. 

McKenzie being back is a no brainer and long may he stay in the starting xi.  Gourlay hasn't played at the levels he ahs without having something, but he's not going to keep out last seasons goalkeeper of the year out the team with his performances of late.  

A lack of honest engagement on the clubs social media platforms will only hurt them and it's shame that opinions are not welcome.  Gate paying supporters should be able to voice their views.  

37 minutes ago, Cove1922 said:

Disappointing result again.  Hopefully be back to winning ways soon.  

I notice the Cove facebook page is quite quiet tonight.  Wondering if the club have started to censure posters they don't like.....

I can confirm they have blocked myself and Craig and we are both meeting John Sheran on Wednesday evening 

1 minute ago, Cove1922 said:

1-0 is never enough, unfortunately a far cry from the days where 1-0 was just the start.  Though if you take players out with that mentality, the mentality changes within the team.  

We definitely need to go on a strong run otherwise play offs will be the best we can hope for.  A tricky pre season with a lot of players missing, but a strong youth development department would've allowed the club to cope with the issues. 

McKenzie being back is a no brainer and long may he stay in the starting xi.  Gourlay hasn't played at the levels he ahs without having something, but he's not going to keep out last seasons goalkeeper of the year out the team with his performances of late.  

A lack of honest engagement on the clubs social media platforms will only hurt them and it's shame that opinions are not welcome.  Gate paying supporters should be able to voice their views.  

At 1-0 today I thought we were looking good enough to be able to create a few more chances and build on that lead but wasn't to be. I even thought a clean sheet was on the cards.

Even without a youth development, which would be welcome, a manager that could recruit better would make us substantially stronger than where we are now.

3 seasons in for Hartley and we have little outside our best XI.

We need a strong string of results which we are capable of. I feel the tide is turning and we might accomplish that. Need a couple of loans in very soon to strength the core.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hopefully you get that over turned! 

Sheran would have us higher than Hartley.

Sheran was a far superior manager, he cared about the players, the fans and the youth. He installed a “anything less than a win is unacceptable” attitude and that made the players play with urgency and desire, something is lacking nowadays. We seem happy enough with draws etc  

A good game that I would have taken a point from before it started but feel the Mo could have won that.

Agree the booking for the arm into Webby’s face was correct, wasn’t a red card. I thought Waddell’s challenge in the first half was fair, certainly took the ball first. But we all have our biased views on all incidents 

A poor goal to concede but Montrose rallied well after it and the subs brought some new life into the team. We got our inevitable penalty and thought we were the much better team after that. Just missing a striker to finish off in the box but can’t fault the effort from those playing up top. 

Didn’t have a clear view of the second yellow, Cove player had to go for the ball when it was in the box but must have taken Dillon before the ball? 

Interesting to see how close the foul was at the end to being in the box. Made a hash of the free kick anyway and could have conceded from the counter. 

Onwards to next Saturday for what should be a good game v Alloa 

32 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

Sheran was a far superior manager, he cared about the players, the fans and the youth. He installed a “anything less than a win is unacceptable” attitude and that made the players play with urgency and desire, something is lacking nowadays. We seem happy enough with draws etc  

Exactly. 

We created chances today, played with more urgency but not to our normal levels. Missing a talented number 10 who will commit players. 

I think we'll start becoming stronger defensively. Our best back 4 and McKenzie I have no doubt will keep things tight(er). Need to be ruthless and firmly believe everything other than a win is unacceptable.

The run of wins need to start now though. 8 points from 6 games isn't a good start.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

First half in my opinion Montrose shaded it,one chalked offside...Probably the correct decision.Cove near the end of the first half did have more of the ball but nothing really clear cut.Scott Ross was pretty lucky not to see red in my opinion Webby spinned him and it was pretty cynical foul with an elbow to the face no need at all.He was the  weak link at the back for  Cove along with Neil but we don't have the strikers at the minute to punish them which is frustrating.

Second half McAllister scores a decent goal and Cove were on top for a fair bit until we scored which was a clear pen no complaints.Last 15 was pretty frustrating taking short corners when we should just be getting the ball in the box and not enough shots for my liking we sometimes try and pass the ball into the net.Not a bad point to get today be teams that leave their with nothing.

Cove for being a new stadium baffles me could have don't alot better i.e more shelter and more seats.

What I would have to say about Cove. If they have aspirations about getting to the higher leagues they should spend some cash on their stadium rather than their squad. The area surrounding the away end was appalling starting with the lake as soon as we entered. If they get a big draw in the cup or host some of the bigger teams in the league, that stadium isn't fit for purpose. Even a few steps around the perimeter would enhance the ground and help the drainage.

6 minutes ago, MO7S said:

Stadium was built when we were in the Highland League to be fair. There is talk of extending the main stand and this needs to be done along with a few other things like drainage as you say! Not the most scenic of grounds in L1 granted. 

Ground improvements are needed.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Thought a draw was about right. We were the better side for most of the first half but without a centre forward we will struggle .. especially if Webby gets injured.  Seagull made a couple of decent saves in the first half but other than that Cove didn’t do much.  Webby missed a sitter with his head and had another disallowed for offside but McKenzie wasn’t troubled much.  McAllister took his goal very well .. although Seagull could’ve done better. Thought the sending off was harsh .. seemed to be a case of two players going for the ball with one getting there just before the other. After that Cove sat in and played for the draw.