Cove vs Montrose

Cove welcome the Mighty Mo to Balmoral on Saturday in what is expected by many on the League 1 prediction thread to be a tight and entertaining game. Hopefully quite a few of the away fans will make the short journey which will add to the occasion and bump up the attendance which has been below that of pre-COVID days of late.

According to Hartley we've had the full squad in training on Tuesday and Thursday (minus Jevan Anderson) which is the first time since the season resumed. We should be in a position to to field our best XI after 10 games of juggling  the squad around and playing players out of position. We've even being playing our ball boy in goals lately!

Will McKenzie retain his place in goal - of course not but you can hope.

My predicted starting lineup would be below but who knows what mad things Hartley will do; he could well throw a spanner in the works and play Draper, Gourlay and Neill.

Ola Adeyemo, who signed midweek on a 3 month deal, has supposedly got pace, strength and has "really impressed" in training according to Hartley. Will he feature from the start or come on as a sub. I think we'll see him at some point that's for certain.

Montrose haven't made many additions to their squad since last year and are surely going to bring in a few loans but it seems like not in time for Saturday. Webby has been on fire, Blair Lyons is a player I really rate and a match winner. Hopefully we see Canto back at Balmoral and getting game time.

Montrose back 4 is solid so we'll need good movement up top to pose them problems. Mo will be looking to bounce back in the league after a 2-1 home loss to the Sons.

Fraser Fyvie was quoted in the Press and Journal today saying the following about Montrose.

“They’re a good side and last year I thought it was between us and them as the two best footballing teams in the league. They’ve got talented young players that could maybe play higher.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/cove-rangers/3452849/cove-rangers-fraser-fyvie-reckons-they-have-not-got-going-this-season/

Cove_Montrose.PNG

Edited by CoveRangers1922

8 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

@resk coming along to Balmoral tomorrow given the Dons are playing down the road at Fir Park?

Hiya mate.  Nah, unfortunately I'll be working tomorrow.  Mad busy the noo.  I enjoyed your preview though - hope it's a decent match!  

7 minutes ago, resk said:

Hiya mate.  Nah, unfortunately I'll be working tomorrow.  Mad busy the noo.  I enjoyed your preview though - hope it's a decent match!  

Ah shame. Plenty other games this season to get along to!

Cheers, I'm sure my ramblings will continue tomorrow. Should be a decent game. 2 passing sides and I expect a few goals to be had.

23 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove welcome the Mighty Mo to Balmoral on Saturday in what is expected by many on the League 1 prediction thread to be a tight and entertaining game. Hopefully quite a few of the away fans will make the short journey which will add to the occasion and bump up the attendance which has been below that of pre-COVID days of late.

According to Hartley we've had the full squad in training on Tuesday and Thursday (minus Jevan Anderson) which is the first time since the season resumed. We should be in a position to to field our best XI after 10 games of juggling  the squad around and playing players out of position. We've even being playing our ball boy in goals lately!

Will McKenzie retain his place in goal - of course not but you can hope.

My predicted starting lineup would be below but who knows what mad things Hartley will do; he could well throw a spanner in the works and play Draper, Gourlay and Neill.

Ola Adeyemo, who signed midweek on a 3 month deal, has supposedly got pace, strength and has "really impressed" in training according to Hartley. Will he feature from the start or come on as a sub. I think we'll see him at some point that's for certain.

Montrose haven't made many additions to their squad since last year and are surely going to bring in a few loans but it seems like not in time for Saturday. Webby has been on fire, Blair Lyons is a player I really rate and a match winner. Hopefully we see Canto back at Balmoral and getting game time.

Montrose back 4 is solid so we'll need good movement up top to pose them problems. Mo will be looking to bounce back in the league after a 2-1 home loss to the Sons.

Fraser Fyvie was quoted in the Press and Journal today saying the following about Montrose.

“They’re a good side and last year I thought it was between us and them as the two best footballing teams in the league. They’ve got talented young players that could maybe play higher.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/cove-rangers/3452849/cove-rangers-fraser-fyvie-reckons-they-have-not-got-going-this-season/

Cove_Montrose.PNG

Well the great news for Cove is McKenzie keeps his place in goals after a clean sheet in the SPFL Trust Trophy game against Stenny 👌. Has Hartley swallowed his pride now and realised ball boy (Gourlay) is hopeless? I hope so.

Bad news is Ryan Strachan misses out completely and Harry Milne is only fit enough for the bench. Harry is a real miss as gives so much attacking threat.

That means a completely makeshift back 4 and one that sadly includes Morgyn Neill. Connor Scully normally DCM will play LB.

Masson must not be fit enough either as Leitch starts LW.

Three big losses for Cove. Hopefully Mitch is deadly for us and is the difference.

Screenshot_20210911-140741.jpg

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Well the great news for Cove is McKenzie keeps his place in goals after a clean sheet in the SPFL Trust Trophy game against Stenny 👌. Has Hartley swallowed his pride now and realised ball boy (Gourlay) is hopeless? I hope so.

Bad news is Ryan Strachan misses out completely and Harry Milne is only fit enough for the bench. Harry is a real miss as gives so much attacking threat.

That means a completely makeshift back 4 and one that sadly includes Morgyn Neill. Connor Scully normally DCM will play LB.

Masson must not be fit enough either as Leitch starts LW.

Three big losses for Cove. Hopefully Mitch is deadly for us and is the difference.

Screenshot_20210911-140741.jpg

In all that I forgot to say Draper misses out completely 👍

Half time and goalless somehow. Montrose playing high press and high tempo. Had a couple of half chances as well as a goal chalked off due to being off-site.

Cove has got behind Montrose's backline about 5 times. Mitch has had a few chances, Fyvie forced a good save from Flemming and Yule has had an effort on goal.

All to play for second half.

Masson to replace Leitch and Harry to replace Scully. 

Think Ola might get the last 15 if he gets on at all 

A point a piece in what was an entertaining game.

I thought we looked very much on top second half and after we scored we looked the more likely team to score again.

A Fyvie foul lead to a pen that Webby dispatched. Montrose failed to create much thereafter.

Thought Blair was extremely harshly sent off for a second yellow that wasn't one.

Game ended with a few professional fouls to stop break aways.

Leaving the ground feels like 2 points dropped for us. Cove had enough chances to win the game but a draw it is and we to go Peterhead next week.

Montrose are a solid team. If Stewart Petrie can bring in an accomplished striker on loan Mo could do very well this season.

Draw probably the fair result. Mo first half goal correctly ruled out for offside but it was very close. I was in line with it. 

Cove scored then seemed to sit back. Mo looked a lot better after double substitution. 

Second yellow for Leitch totally merited.  A nasty tackle leaving his foot in. Again, right in line with it.

Thought the ref was going to show red for the fore-arm smash into Watson just before half time. It certainly merited it whether the assault or last man offence. 

We all know that without a target man/striker we will never be serious challengers. 

Get us a striker please SP.

21 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

I think Cove are a very dirty team, Webby could’ve easily got a broken nose. We need to figure out how to score that is not from the spot though. Fleming kept us in the game and I was pretty happy to see Blair get a meaty challenge. No doubt where his allegiances are.

I'm going to be biased here to an extent but will try to be impartial. Generally I don't think we are a dirty team at all.

Scott Ross genuinely went for the ball, I was right next to it, but took Webby instead. Clear foul and yellow but not a red.

There were quite a few cynical fouls. Kerr Waddell completely wiped out Scott Ross in the latter stages and Blair Lyons did the same to Mitch?, Both occasions were counterattacks for Cove 

Fyvie was guilty of the same thing in the 92nd minute. Deserved a yellow.

Blair is as honest as they come and I think both his yellows were soft compared to all the others. 

*Edit - if the second was as @PortyMo says then fair enough he deserved to go.

Just now, PortyMo said:

Draw probably the fair result. Mo first half goal correctly ruled out for offside but it was very close. I was in line with it. 

Cove scored then seemed to sit back. Mo looked a lot better after double substitution. 

Second yellow for Leitch totally merited.  A nasty tackle leaving his foot in. Again, right in line with it.

Thought the ref was going to show red for the fore-arm smash into Watson just before half time. It certainly merited it whether the assault or last man offence. 

We all know that without a target man/striker we will never be serious challengers. 

Get us a striker please SP.

Yule not Leitch. I'll take your word for it as I wasn't in line.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm going to be biased here to an extent but try to be impartial. Generally I don't think we are a dirty team at all.

Scott Ross genuinely went for the ball but took Webby instead. Clear foul and yellow but not 

Blair is as honest as they come and I think both his yellows were soft compared to all the others.

Thee were some nasty/meaty/malicious challenges going in and Leitches was amongst them. Definite yellow.