Motherwell v Aberdeen 11/09/21

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As excited as you 'well guys are......the guy above saying that he's never felt as excited in years just seems a bit bizarre

It's a bit of early season optimism. After the past couple of years of utter drudgery, we're unashamedly enjoying (a) being back at Fir Park for these types of games and (b) having a team that feels worth getting behind.

Check back in the corresponding game later in the season and it will be back to business as usual I'm sure...

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I didn't say anything like that at all. My apologies if my post somehow wasn't clear enough. 

I said that we took so long fannying around with the ball, it was very easy for Motherwell to re-organise into 2 lines of 4 and suffocate any space available. I didn't suggest in the slightest that Motherwell were defensive (they weren't) or that our possession meant that we somehow deserved more from the game (we didn't). 

There's also a difference in between saying the referee had a poor game (he did) and suggesting that you kicked Aberdeen off the park (you didn't). 

Motherwell played the referee very well yesterday. Beaton whistled the first 30 minutes like it was a kids kick around in the park, and Motherwell realised quickly that he wasn't going to take action against a series of fouls designed to break up play. By the time that Beaton worked out that he was on the edge of losing control of the game and started to card players, Motherwell's job was pretty much done. 

Playing a weak referee is a part of football as well, and Motherwell were so much better at it than Aberdeen. 

As excited as you 'well guys are......the guy above saying that he's never felt as excited in years just seems a bit bizarre...., I wouldn't get too carried away by beating a team that will never win another game if we keep on playing passive, sideways football like this. 

I was enthused...rather than excited 

We were expecting so little after the League Cup games that we are making the most of some good results while we can and getting optimistic that some of our later signings are actually going to improve us.

On yesterday's game, I think it's fair to say that Scott Brown doesn't have the same aura (or however you want to put it) as he did playing for Celtic. Or maybe he's been like that for a while and that's why Celtic let him go.

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I didn't say anything like that at all. My apologies if my post somehow wasn't clear enough. 

I said that we took so long fannying around with the ball, it was very easy for Motherwell to re-organise into 2 lines of 4 and suffocate any space available. I didn't suggest in the slightest that Motherwell were defensive (they weren't) or that our possession meant that we somehow deserved more from the game (we didn't). 

There's also a difference in between saying the referee had a poor game (he did) and suggesting that you kicked Aberdeen off the park (you didn't). 

Motherwell played the referee very well yesterday. Beaton whistled the first 30 minutes like it was a kids kick around in the park, and Motherwell realised quickly that he wasn't going to take action against a series of fouls designed to break up play. By the time that Beaton worked out that he was on the edge of losing control of the game and started to card players, Motherwell's job was pretty much done. 

Playing a weak referee is a part of football as well, and Motherwell were so much better at it than Aberdeen. 

As excited as you 'well guys are......the guy above saying that he's never felt as excited in years just seems a bit bizarre...., I wouldn't get too carried away by beating a team that will never win another game if we keep on playing passive, sideways football like this. 

I thought Beaton was fine  and  let the game flow more than the likes of Collum who is totally unpredictable and just kills games with his stupid decision making. It’s a contact sport, ask Brown who was also very lucky after his challenge on Van veen. I think regarding the excitement we can see how this team could develop. We won’t concede a ton of goals and the front three will give anyone problems. We’ve got a core of players now on long contracts who all look promising and we will no longer get bullied out of games.

Guest Bob Mahelp
20 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I thought Beaton was fine  and  let the game flow more than the likes of Collum who is totally unpredictable and just kills games with his stupid decision making. It’s a contact sport, ask Brown who was also very lucky after his challenge on Van veen. I think regarding the excitement we can see how this team could develop. We won’t concede a ton of goals and the front three will give anyone problems. We’ve got a core of players now on long contracts who all look promising and we will no longer get bullied out of games.

I've only seen Motherwell twice this season and thought that you looked pretty poor defensively against Hibs. You'll rarely have an easier game than the one yesterday, so I wouldn't use that as a yardstick as to how the season will go. 

As ever in Scottish football, a decent result one week doesn't guarantee one the next week. I'm not meaning to pee on your chips, and you were well deserved winners yesterday, but you could get hammered off Rangers next week and then be awful against Ross County the week after. 

The time to make predictions is probably at the 11 game mark, tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I've only seen Motherwell twice this season and thought that you looked pretty poor defensively against Hibs. You'll rarely have an easier game than the one yesterday, so I wouldn't use that as a yardstick as to how the season will go. 

As ever in Scottish football, a decent result one week doesn't guarantee one the next week. I'm not meaning to pee on your chips, and you were well deserved winners yesterday, but you could get hammered off Rangers next week and then be awful against Ross County the week after. 

The game against Hibs came before the new defensive signings. I’m not a long standing supporter but this group have plenty of potential, time will tell.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We always get a result off Aberdeen each season, so maybe that was it, we don’t always get three wins in a row so we are quite pleased about that.  We don’t budget for wins at Ibrox so if we get hammered then we will ‘move on’.  Being awful against Ross County will be disappointing but if that comes with a win we will take it.

5 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We were expecting so little after the League Cup games that we are making the most of some good results while we can and getting optimistic that some of our later signings are actually going to improve us.

On yesterday's game, I think it's fair to say that Scott Brown doesn't have the same aura (or however you want to put it) as he did playing for Celtic. Or maybe he's been like that for a while and that's why Celtic let him go.

I would agree with the latter, much to the disagreement of several mates who think he brings some kind of special mentality. 

12 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

My apologies then, I accept often the written word is taken more negatively and inferences are made.

Outwith the money in the league the rest is really a cock of mediocre players which can be enhanced with a few sound transfers and a decent manager. You will be safe as the base standard of your players is higher than most in the league but unless there is a bit of ooomph injected into that team Europe is a far shout and top 6 could be ropey. Having a player like Ferguson feeling they are better and wanting away is a cancer, you benefitted (correct word?) in that with big Dec.

6 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As for the other game you witnessed, Hibs on the opening day, 3 of that defence weren't on the pitch and the one who was played at RB opposed to centre half. Our centre half pairing is the former Finnish captain and a big sexy Viking who will grow as a pairing.

I agree that some on our thread have let our early form go to their heads. Our first real test with our preferred starting line up was yesterday but you failed to really make us work. With Ryan Kent returning to form I think big Bevis is due a roasting at Ibrox that he's avoided so far. "Awful" against Ross County .... since you been there, got that t-shirt, got any tips to avoid it?

From what I've seen so far I feel confident we'll replace Livingston/St Johnstone at the 6th best team as a minimum. I've not seen much outwith the 5 big clubs to suggest anyone will come close to rivaling us based on our personnel on the pitch and backroom. Granted Airdrie and Dundee in the League Cup are quickly becoming distant memories when they shouldn't be. Davidson will have £1.5m or so to dip into in January, maybe the Yank at Dundee Utd will too and I do expect a drop in form/injuries and a bad run will happen.

7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Utter fucking nonsense. We’re winning the Champions League in 2023 and I’m having Tandoori Monkfish with Saag Paneer to celebrate. Guaranteed fact.