Motherwell v Aberdeen 11/09/21

Guest Bob Mahelp
21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Just an overly harsh assessment. Don’t think we were as bad as that. 

Tbh, I thought I was being kind to them. 

I can't think of any redeeming feature today, outside of the fact that Ramsey cemented his place as the best right-back in Scotland. 

Not for the first time this season, the team looked unbalanced with absolutely no cutting edge. Looking down the park from the stand behind the goal, I continually saw Motherwell re-organise in to 2 banks of 4 (often a 5 and 4) as we passed the ball sideways in front of them. 

And it's not just the momentum killing sideways passes. It's the fact that, Ramsey aside, our players in general are lacking the courage to take a risk. 

It was a problem under McInnes, and it's a growing issue under Glass. He needs to get it sorted out, pronto. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I can't think of any redeeming feature today, outside of the fact that Ramsey cemented his place as the best right-back in Scotland. 

Not for the first time this season, the team looked unbalanced with absolutely no cutting edge. Looking down the park from the stand behind the goal, I continually saw Motherwell re-organise in to 2 banks of 4 (often a 5 and 4) as we passed the ball sideways in front of them. 

And it's not just the momentum killing sideways passes. It's the fact that, Ramsey aside, our players in general are lacking the courage to take a risk. 

It was a problem under McInnes, and it's a growing issue under Glass. He needs to get it sorted out, pronto. 

Ramsay may be up there as one of the best Scottish right backs, but we have Bevis.

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We didn't do enough to win today, but this is bollocks. 

I'm honestly intrigued to hear what redeeming features there were today. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aberdeen felt so passive in the game for big chunks of it. The midfield felt like it was desperately needing someone to drive through it, but the passing just kept coming. 

That and slinging long diagonals at Bevis all day long presumably has some kind of great tactical value but was beyond me, because he's really fucking tall.

18 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think if you take up to the 2nd goal (after that the game was done and a write off), I didn’t think we looked as frighteningly bad defensively as we’ve been in previous games this season. Clearly the goals themselves are poor but we weren’t conceding chance after chance like we have been. 

Also we created some decent opportunities today that on another day make it a different game, albeit our finishing was laughably bad when the opportunity presented itself today. 

Not trying to portray that we’re hard done by, we deservedly lost, but if we’re a little more clinical it’s a very different day. 

24 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

20210906_101829.jpg.e7351895ac6f0e7c5961c54a579bd81a.jpg

How very dare you! 

Tbf, Ramsay did look very good and the future looks very bright if he continues as is. 

It was a good showcase of right backs today. It's a great story that Uganda's center back, who is also royalty, is keeping Scotland's right back out of the Motherwell team, who in turn is blocking the twin second comings of Cafu from getting into the Scotland team.

Ramsay does look decent though. Definitely second in line.

JET dragging Grimshaw up the pitch and making him work for his yellow card was also fun.

I'm honestly intrigued to hear what redeeming features there were today. 
I was impressed by Ramsey and you certainly made enough chances. Your problem was they were all hit wide or straight at Kelly. I don't remember Kelly having to actually dive for any of his saves, he had to put his hands to the side of his foot for Brown's shot and that was about it.

As for comments on their 'pretty' football, I can't remember seeing a team pass the ball straight out the side of the park as much.

We didn't do much but didn't have to, just had to be organised with the occasional bit of quality up front.

This and the Dec Gallagher 2-0 GIF are why it is a blast to be a fan of a Scottish Football club. Top banter.
I so enjoyed that game today. I felt it was more comfortable than when we beat Dundee a couple of weeks ago. Aberdeen played some nice football and had numerous chances which Kelly dealt well with. But after going 2-0 up I did not think we would not pick up 3 points. That is a huge difference from teams and seasons gone by. 
We are one solid and well organised unit. Kudos to Alexander. 
The scandi centre backs were excellent. Big Bevis - wow. SODs May struggle to get his place back. Slattery is a great signing. To be fair even Nathan McG had a good game after a low start. 
But Kevin Van Veen. Oh my. A walking basket case and red card but as already mentioned worth the entry fee alone. If someone can make a GIF of the moment in the 2nd half on the half way line where he somehow brought the ball down and sold the two Aberdeen players. That really was as good as a goal. Orgasmic….
200.gif

I coulda swore it was Dec he done twice.

I had a bit of a chuckle at our chief Wind Up Merchant Tony Watt being antagonised into a booking by theirs, Scott Brown, only for Brown to absolutely lose the plot and spend the rest of the game moaning to the ref because Tony smiled and waved to him as he walked off when being subbed. Brown was absolutely seething - great to see.

Good performance today all over the pitch though still would rather we were more adventurous but can’t argue with results. Aberdeen to me looked as though they were struggling to break us down and were unable to cope with our Alexanderball percentage game expecting us to be more offensive.
Had a bit of the fear when Jet came on expecting Aberdeen to start pumping balls into the box so I was somewhat surprised to see him take up a playmaker role.
The way we set up every week is how we would normally do against the Glasgow mobs so will be interesting to see how we get on next week.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Ramsay is a good Scottish RB and a very good prospect, however I'm sure for that mantle, SOD (certainly when he plays in blue), Patterson & Anthony Ralston may have a shout. Unquestionably in the past few seasons it has been (and it pains me to type it) Tavernier even without the penalties.

As for your lineup review, I was paying close attention to it as I'm sure many Motherwell fans were due to the fact the 4-3-3 has drawn criticism during spells of this and our previous manager tenures. Mainly due to the fact for the past 18-24 months we've lost many more midfield battles than we've won.

We started 4-3-3, we continued until 73' when Ricki Lamie replaced Woolery and went 5-3-2 and then in 82' 5-4-1 when Van Veen was replaced by Goss, you could argue 5-5-0 at 90'+2 when Watt went off.

Of course players tracked back, followed runners or tasked roles when not in possession. You did have 75% of it, but don't confuse that with dominance if we were happy to let you have it.

The subtext of your post is we parked the bus. Where I was sitting you parked the bus despite chasing the game.

Other posters on here have suggested we kicked you up and down the park. Your players tended to go down particularly easily. That is was made the game very bitty at times. They then got all ancy when cards weren't given (waving thumb and two fingers at the ref too often) and got petulant and an unfounded feeling of injustice. Jack McKenzie being a prime culprit. That sort of shit can or can not condoned by instructions of a manager.

It says something that halfway through the first half a foul awarded to Motherwell was met with a loud ironic cheer. However Van Veen could have walked and Tony Watt pushed Brown with such gusto he could get a no win no fee claim for whiplash.

7 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Ramsay is a good Scottish RB and a very good prospect, however I'm sure for that mantle, SOD (certainly when he plays in blue), Patterson & Anthony Ralston may have a shout. Unquestionably in the past few seasons it has been (and it pains me to type it) Tavernier even without the penalties.

As for your lineup review, I was paying close attention to it as I'm sure many Motherwell fans were due to the fact the 4-3-3 has drawn criticism during spells of this and our previous manager tenures. Mainly due to the fact for the past 18-24 months we've lost many more midfield battles than we've won.

We started 4-3-3, we continued until 73' when Ricki Lamie replaced Woolery and went 5-3-2 and then in 82' 5-4-1 when Van Veen was replaced by Goss, you could argue 5-5-0 at 90'+2 when Watt went off.

Of course players tracked back, followed runners or tasked roles when not in possession. You did have 75% of it, but don't confuse that with dominance if we were happy to let you have it.

The subtext of your post is we parked the bus. Where I was sitting you parked the bus despite chasing the game.

Other posters on here have suggested we kicked you up and down the park. Your players tended to go down particularly easily. That is was made the game very bitty at times. They then got all ancy when cards weren't given (waving thumb and two fingers at the ref too often) and got petulant and an unfounded feeling of injustice. Jack McKenzie being a prime culprit. That sort of shit can or can not condoned by instructions of a manager.

It says something that halfway through the first half a foul awarded to Motherwell was met with a loud ironic cheer. However Van Veen could have walked and Tony Watt pushed Brown with such gusto he could get a no win no fee claim for whiplash.

Fucking hell

Not had that feeling at a game of football in what feels like years...I was still buzzing hours after the kick off, watched the game on Alba and watched the Sportscene highlights. The wife wasn't impressed at all.

It was said on sportscene that the sheep had 75% possession and it certainly felt that way. This looks like a clear instruction from the manager to allow the other team to have the ball, let them huff and puff and we attempt to hit on the counter. It was evident against both Hibs and Dundee too  At times its really difficult to watch, but who can argue with the results?

The defence was essentially 4 centre backs today, before Lamie came onto make it 5, and that is going to be difficult for any side to breakdown. Ojala was excellent, Solholm looks like a good capture and the two full backs did fine. While a special mention for Kelly, who done everything asked of him...to me, he looks like a keeper that shouldn't be at our level.

Midfield still really concerns me though, Slattery looks a top player but at times yesterday it looked like he was in Midfield himself with both OHara and Grimshaw, really chasing shadows and getting dragged out of position. Hopefully Goss, when up to speed will be the one to come in and help Slattery out.

Up front, I've said it for ages now but Watt is an absolute joy of a player, his work rate is 2nd to none in our team and he can play football as well, he is brilliant and we need to tie him down. His partnership with crazy Dutch b*****d could be quite something. I'm yet to be convinced by Woolery, he has physique and pace but I'm not seeing that fitba brain that I like fitba players to have.

I'm in two minds on the shithousery thing...on one hand I quite enjoyed how obvious Alexander made it by whipping off his 3 forwards for 3 big units to help us defend against a side with no real know-how of how to break us done, but the constant dropping to the floor at the slightest touch and grabbing the ball on the way down is really tiresome, both teams were at it and the referee failed to nip it in the bud.

A few other things; when the son of Derek Ferguson isn't getting pelters from the East Stand because he is so far down the bawbag list, you know that you are up against a team of fannies. How good was it to be so comfortable in beating a team with top-class arseholes like Gallagher and Brown in their ranks?...a new one to add to the list is the little bawbag right  back, who seemed to take great delight in trying to rile up our fans when his own team were getting beat.

Tony Watt taking the Harry Hunt out of Brown was a joy to see...as was the Aberdeen fans punching each other about the South Stand. An absolutely brilliant 90 mins at Fir Park.

Seemed like an excellent match going by the Sportscene highlights. A bit of a battle about it with moments of good attacking further highlighted by some shocking defending.

Game could’ve been very different though, from the highlights alone Kelly seemed to fumble or palm down at least 3 shots into dangerous areas. Lucky Aberdeen never capitalised.

Seemed like an excellent match going by the Sportscene highlights. A bit of a battle about it with moments of good attacking further highlighted by some shocking defending.
Game could’ve been very different though, from the highlights alone Kelly seemed to fumble or palm down at least 3 shots into dangerous areas. Lucky Aberdeen never capitalised.
He was definitely a bit more "droppy" than usual. Ramirez was offside though so I think the only one that was really problematic was the Watkins one, but Kelly recovered well.

Really enjoyed that yesterday. The possession stats obviously make it seem like Aberdeen dominated but we were very happy to let them have the ball around time middle third, which seems to be how Alexander likes to play. They could've played all day and not scored.

Scott Brown is still the best panto villain in the game, absolutely loved Tony Watt winding him up. Grimshaw was fairly getting in his face at a couple of corners as well, and the "you're just a shite Liam Grimshaw" chant was a cracking laugh.

Big KVV is going to be worth the entrance money alone this season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I didn't say anything like that at all. My apologies if my post somehow wasn't clear enough. 

I said that we took so long fannying around with the ball, it was very easy for Motherwell to re-organise into 2 lines of 4 and suffocate any space available. I didn't suggest in the slightest that Motherwell were defensive (they weren't) or that our possession meant that we somehow deserved more from the game (we didn't). 

There's also a difference in between saying the referee had a poor game (he did) and suggesting that you kicked Aberdeen off the park (you didn't). 

Motherwell played the referee very well yesterday. Beaton whistled the first 30 minutes like it was a kids kick around in the park, and Motherwell realised quickly that he wasn't going to take action against a series of fouls designed to break up play. By the time that Beaton worked out that he was on the edge of losing control of the game and started to card players, Motherwell's job was pretty much done. 

Playing a weak referee is a part of football as well, and Motherwell were so much better at it than Aberdeen. 

As excited as you 'well guys are......the guy above saying that he's never felt as excited in years just seems a bit bizarre...., I wouldn't get too carried away by beating a team that will never win another game if we keep on playing passive, sideways football like this.