Motherwell v Aberdeen 11/09/21

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

3 posts = all over it.

And lets not pretend that you lot wont be chugging all over your rowies if Hearts beat us tomorrow - and all over the match thread too........................

It'll make no difference because it would mean hearts being further away from us. Best result for us tomorrow is a draw.

Seems like a decent performance and a horrible result coming. Luckily the xG will show we deserved to win today and that's what really counts.

Reality will remain if our defense leak a clumsy goal every game and our forwards miss a few chances then we'll be inconsistent all year.

No wins in six now - and that’s a huge squad we have.

My main fear all along was that we would revert to becoming a side that consistently lose easy goals. That needs to be sorted out or bottom six could be the reality rather than these ‘boring’ European place finishes every season.

12 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

Seems like a decent performance and a horrible result coming. Luckily the xG will show we deserved to win today and that's what really counts.

BBC website has Aberdeen possession at 75%, but Watt and Grimshaw could easily have had a goal each too. Stats, eh?

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In a league where the first goal tends to be crucial we’ve found ourselves a bit of an issue here. 

We can’t reasonably expect to finish 3rd this season and I suspect we’ll be in a fight for a European finish. 

While you may well be right, I don’t think anyone knows what we’ve actually got here yet. We’re playing better football, but clearly not matching with any sort of ruthless winning mentality

Just now, tarapoa said:

No wins in six now - and that’s a huge squad we have.

My main fear all along was that we would revert to becoming a side that consistently lose easy goals. That needs to be sorted out or bottom six could be the reality rather than these ‘boring’ European place finishes every season.

We were on a worse run last season and you didn't have too much to say about it then.

23 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Complete overreaction on here and twitter. We’ve played well.

Apart from not being able to do the basics in defence (again) and not being able to ask any serious questions of the opposition keeper (again), I suppose we played alright.

Edited by bpdon

Just now, tarapoa said:

bottom six could be the reality rather than these ‘boring’ European place finishes every season.

I dont think so. 

I rather think that none of the teams have quite found their legs yet, and even clubs that finished the season well (St J?) havent started very well - there are many twists and turns and its only September.

You wont be bottom 6, no chance.

Apart from not being able to do the basics in defence (again) and not being able to ask any serious questions of the opposition keeper (again), I suppose we played alright.

Which in no way is the fault of Glass. Agreed ?

The bed wetting on twitter with idiots wanting him gone already is pathetic.

Trying to be as reasonable about that as possible. 

I thought, first twenty minutes, we looked like a decent team just lacking something of a final ball and killer instinct - plenty of nice passes, some composed play in tight areas, but just not quite making it count when we got near the Motherwell box. Saying that, Ojo and Watkins both missed presentable opportunities minutes before Motherwell opened the scoring. 

I thought the second half was much of the same. Some decent play in front of the Motherwell defence, but they were well organised and we just didn't have the guile or movement to break them down. The second goal knocked the stuffing out of us, and the rest of the game just kind of petered out. Motherwell, to their credit, did a good job of managing the game and breaking it up, both at 1-0 and 2-0. 

As has been said, conceding first is becoming a bit of an unwelcome theme, and we didn't respond particularly well to it today. Both goals we conceded, however, especially the second, are far, far too easy - simply got to be much more aggressive when defending crosses in the air. Watt had another one shortly before they went 1-0 up where we essentially gave him a free header from inside the six-yard box from a corner. That has to be improved in the coming weeks or more teams will take advantage of it.

Edited by DrewDon