FM22

ajwffc

I'm enjoying this version more than I've enjoyed the last couple tbh.

Value banding instead of an outright value makes it surprisingly more awkward to get transfers "right", which is needed, added in clubs are generally stronger in rejected bids (with some outliers) and agents are stronger in negotiations. I wanted to keep Callum Booth but his agent simply wouldn't budge from a 3yr deal on a starting wage and a starting role promised, something I wouldn't give him. Frustrating but he's now left at the end of his deal, previously you could almost bully them.

On 27/10/2021 at 00:24, RandomGuy. said:

End of November and me and Livingston sit joint bottom of like 8 points, already about 10 behind 10th and miles off 6th. Making the Conference Groups has absolutely fucked me as I just can't get any momentum. We somehow reached the League Cup Final though.

A switch to a more direct style and 4-4-2, plus no longer having Europe, saw a form of resurgence though. End of January and we now sit 5 behind 9th/10th, and 8 ahead of Livingston. Hoping that we continue to pick up points and drag ourselves out 11th, as we're better than that.

My luck is horrendous. Lost 6-0 to Celtic, 4 penalties had the tagline "that didn't look like a foul", and then Turnbull bagged a 30 yard free kick on top of that. That was in the middle of me picking up form and the morale drop fucked me.

January saw a form of rebuild begin. Craig Halkett, Jamie Allen, Ebou Adams, and Nicky Cadden, all come in thanks to the ~£2.5m from Europe. McCart/Gordon been shite as CBs, Allen/Adams give me CMs who aren't over 30 or shite. Cadden gives me another winger option. Strikers were all mega money. 

Found my striker...

1475757027_CarlosTevez_Profile.thumb.png.7e22da4597f2c46419424a8d524a1c6c.png

... he was decent enough coming off the bench to help out, but didn't improve the starting line up. Stevie May bagged me about 19 goals all season, including 4 in one game...

520947096_DanielBegg_Inbox(1).thumb.png.8fac5dfad00cda5f9b04462bae35a014.png

We ended the season 8th, but only a couple of points off 11th and 6/7 off 7th. Need a big improvement next season but form after Christmas was enough to get top 6 so hopefully we carry that on.

Managed to get Middleton for about £40k as he was unhappy at Rangers and they wanted him gone.

10 seasons in.

Scotland

Spoiler

fm13.png.188a1ca7e830c58b54e200678182b8bb.png

Hibs the 1st non old firm side in 45 years to win the league. Fernando Torres the man in charge.

fm14.png.7f28e451163d3c01cabc9edd2e02bcda.png

Killie and St. Johnstone now yo yo clubs, Dunfermline can't get over the line.

fm15.png.9d246fe0463fe1d81a9fd2f1b85f9ec1.png

Some bigger names have ended up in the seaside leagues. Cove finally made it to the Championship at the 6th time of asking in the play offs.

fm16.png.982a4a985031a9e732eb765fff07541a.png

The bottom tier. Formartine, Brora Rangers and Inverurie Locos have all made their way into the league. Annan, Stranraer and most shockingly Alloa are now all non league diddies.

fm17.png.6a375bac393e8b81289d5085f4a47be1.png

The Scottish Cup.

fm18.png.af9e7e563ee21f4e337b5c38d225b9ec.png

An incredible 7 league cup finals in 10 years for Hibernian, just the two wins though. 

Big 5 leagues

Spoiler

fm7.png.38612c67b406a14b6514e5913f1187c3.png

City dominating in England. Chelsea have been poor.

fm8.png.f4d17dfe8e082dc8e6681c8ada9ebfc4.png

10 IAR for Real as Barca unable to fully recover from their financial woes.

fm6.png.b80e0057c741309afa575401eecbe599.png

19 titles on the trot for Bayern now.

fm5.png.d818678f7e6b4b2b1388a173d60afe2c.png

Predictably boring in France apart from the emergence of Caen as contenders.

fm4.png.e146e6ec287fd0742e192d4817b7c380.png

Everyone else finding it too tough to oust Juve and Milan in Italy.

European competitions

Spoiler

fm10.png.7e71d22a3550416895554005a3f2112b.png

Champions League, City now with the 5 stars above the badge.

fm11.png.e020de118dc0bdc00fa995785ee65028.png

Europa League. 

fm12.png.a14bdd6e30021b6ce23c9e4bd52baddc.png

Europa Conference, a nice variety there.

In terms of Scottish clubs in Europe, Rangers (5), Celtic (1), Hibs (1) have made Champions League Group stages. No one has made it past the group. Best European finishes have been, Rangers Europa League QF (beaten by Barca), Celtic Europa Conf. SF (beaten by Braga) Hibs Europa Conf. QF (beaten by St. Gallen).

International

Spoiler

fm2.png.4578de98b57d27f5cf8712c37ca1e26e.png

World Cup winners. England ridiculously overpowered as per usual.

fm3.png.6bd42cee764b756405950405e5bf42d8.png

Euro Championship winners.

fm19.png.1f8e86fd1fc21e2b761bf91fbec05f54.png

Scotland have been shite the entire save. Currently 73rd in the world and freshly relegated to division C in the Nations League. Alex Neill is currently in charge and David Turnbull with his 70 caps is the current captain.

fm1.png.c02ce48930e32916ec19adfc2fceb1c4.png

The closest we've come to qualifying for a major tournament, an absolute hounding in Cardiff.

Finished the first season of the Celtic save and it was a League and Scottish Cup double. Hearts were my only achilles heel domestically putting me out the Premier Sports Cup 2nd round and inflicting my only league defeat. Hibs came unbelievably close to beating me in the Scottish Cup final but a late fightback turned it around. They won the Premier Sports Cup though beating my conquerers and Edinburgh rivals Hearts 3-0 in the final.

Spoiler

image.png.da30fd71a3be05627142d7a527100a36.png

Spoiler

image.png.72448be1e477a5682747f55af9d1cc3f.png

Colidio was a January loan signing from Inter who was brought in just as a backup and I will be taking up the option to buy at a bargain 230k after him having a good impact with 8 goals in 8 games. Will likely keep Carter-Vickers (2m) and Jota (6.5m) permanently too but obviously not Harvey Elliott (53m). 

In Europe I lost to PSV in Champions League 2nd QR. In the Europa League I finished 3rd losing out on 2nd to Fenerbahce on GD (h2h was the same as we both won 2-0 at home). In the Conference League it was a disappointing last 16 exit to Dinamo Zagreb on pens.

Aside from the loanees mentioned above, I also signed and sold the following. 

image.png.aeffd1e1b9ad099e7ffbd5edb7a54027.png

image.png.16342e377604ec7e31528f4938667ea8.png

Picked up LB/LWB Bjorkan after scout recommendation. His contract at Bodo only runs till 31st December. One I would suggest for any of those managing a suitable club (his wages are 12k p/w but I just gave him that without negotiation so might be able to haggle him down). 10 assists in 19 games so far. Good defensively too. Already worth 14.5-20m after a few months. Rothwell was Rogic replacement. 

This is the tactic I've been using. Despite having Starfelt, Jullien, Welsh, Carter-Vickers and Hector, surprisingly Liam Scales has been the CB used most often in the league and has been excellent on the left of the 3. 

Spoiler

image.png.73851fde70aa27f2c0e4c79cbebcf7be.png

Edited by C. Muir

They've ballsed up the World Cup Playoffs in Europe, as they seem to have completely omitted a second placed table.  No seeding, so the random draw took away Scotland's home draw, and put them away to Austria (who should have been unseeded and away from home.  

We were beaten 2-0, with Ryan Fredericks taking his spot in the big revolving door of right wing-backs.  Did really well too.  Booked in the 51st, sent off in the 53rd.

Fourth season syndrome at Airdrie. Turns out I’ve built a really poor team and we’ve hit a total brick wall in form and consistency. Can go two or three games grinding one goal wins then go to St Johnstone and are blown away 3-0 despite having an xG of 0.4. Also in most games we seem to hit the woodwork two or three times and the opposition score their only shot on target. So just the usual FM match engine foibles.  Fighting away in mid table and it’s a battle of attrition for the Europa League places. 

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

What's the verdict on this then, is it better than last year?

The match engine looks really good, but I don’t think it plays well yet. Everything comes down the wings and inverted wingers act really weird in it. Hopefully the match engine is improved for the full game next week but it did take until the January update last time for it to become enjoyable…

A lot of the features were as I thought just features for features sake which I haven’t used too much yet.

The new gen faces are absolutely hideous though 😂

If you can still get it at a reasonable price of less than 30 I’d get it.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

What's the verdict on this then, is it better than last year?

"I've bought FM for the last 15 years but I won't be buying this one!"

"They should make it a monthly subscription and make rolling updates"

"I'm not buying it until they fix the match engine"

"Apart from the data hub, it's just the same as last years!"

Thought they were meant to be nerfing gegenpress ?

Anyway, holidayed 25 years into the future.

August 2046.

Alex Neil has been in charge of the national team for 18 years and 237 days.

Hearts have still not won the League Cup. 82 years and counting.

Celtic were defeated by Millwall in the 2036 Europa Conference League Final.

Inverness CT are now perennial League 1 relegation battlers.

Alloa were relegated from League 2 in 2028 and have never been seen again.

Queen of the South have spent 10 of the past 11 years in the top flight and are on a run of 3 consecutive top 6 finishes.

St Johnstone were relegated from the Premiership 7 times in 17 seasons.

China are now good. Consistently in the top 15 in the world.

Bayern Munich won 31 titles in a row before Hannover 96 pipped them on the last day of the 2043/44 season. Borussia Dortmund were relegated the same season.

PSG managed 22 in a row.

The most expensive transfer has been Jamal Musiala from Bayern to PSG for £134 million.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Needing some inspiration for a new game

What about a club and country save ?

Objective is to win a continental trophy with the club and an international one with the country. Easy with the big guns, trickier with a lesser mob.

Or a regional journeyman save ?

Win all the leagues in say, North and South America, or Scandinavia, or Asia.

Or there's plenty fallen giants in lower divisions.

16 hours ago, Aufc said:

Needing some inspiration for a new game

Depends what kind of saves you usually enjoy, but I’d be tempted by something like Hamburg or Parma and getting them back to the top. 

There’s also always the classics like the Pentagon challenge, San Marino challenge or going to the Vanarama North/South, depending how long term you want to be. 

2nd season at Celtic done. Made Jota and Colidios loans permanent, Carter-Vickers didn't want to come. Todd Cantwell and Adam Hlozek arrived after signing pre-contracts last season. Also coming in over the course of the season were Joel Graterol (GK), Sergi Canos, Hamza Choudhury, Neuhen Perez (CB loan from Atletico), Reinier (AM loan from R.Madrid) and Dani Ceballos. Ceballos cost a bargain 800k in January as he only had 6 months left on his Real Madrid deal. The same month I sold Nabil Bentaleb and Joe Rothwell (who cost £0 and 700k) respectively for £6.5m each. 

Won the domestic treble but not without some luck. I won an Old Firm at Ibrox in mid March to go a point ahead and put the title in my hands. Then I lost at Celtic Park to them for them to go back 2 points clear with only a few games left. The following weekend they draw with Hearts and I win to put it level but a superior goal difference in my favour. And that's how it stayed. The Scottish Cup final was fairly topsy-turvy too :lol: 

image.png.b43552beb0296644bdc228f92301de40.png

image.png.f223aacade38d057e9a77f8e9b31cb28.png

image.png.c277b2b143ed651c6a2bb5b1741509c0.png

Don't know about anyone else but I like creating wee scenarios in FM. Very likely to be James Forrest final game in a Celtic shirt as he wants a new challenge plus his stats are dwindling, so I subbed him on at the start of extra time incase it went to pens and put him on the 5th penalty in the hope that he secured a treble with his final kick of the ball for Celtic. 

It was a very respectable European campaign too, making the CL group stages and topping a group containing Atletico, Benfica and Dinamo Zagreb (my conference league QF conquerors last season). PSG too strong in the round of 16 though, winning 4-1 on aggregate. I actually lead in Paris in the first leg which just seemed to annoy Neymar as he bagged a hat trick in the 2nd half for a 3-1 win. 

Looking to get rid of quite a few players this summer as the squad is massive (which is needed in season 22/23 with the World Cup meaning about 20 games in all comps across Jan and Feb!). Fairly happy with my 2 pre-contract agreements too...

image.thumb.png.ed380df272e57ff8018a418cabea0526.png

Edited by C. Muir

13 hours ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

I usually do a Bilbao save, but don't think I'll bother this year.

Swaying towards the MLS this year.

I had a Vancouver Whitecaps save in (I think) FM2017 or 2018. 

It was a nice change from the usual kind of save I would do. I might try something similar.