Who watches this pish?

milton75

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

It’s sad IMO that people used to think Morecambe and Wise was funny. Even The Two Ronnies doesn’t hold up. I saw some recently and it was abysmal. 

so something from the era of yer da's da that was seen as fantastic, is now shite ? So in a way, Morecambe & Wise and the 2 Ronnies are just like the sellick

Edited by Meldrew

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This is a country where only fools and horses is regarded as some sort of national treasure so frankly we get what we deserve with this absolute pish.

I don't want to get started on that. Folk talk about it as though it's a stone cold classic. A highlight of British Comedy. I was born in the 70s. I lived through the 80s. It was shit then and shit now. It may have been marginally less shit than Birds of a Feather, Keeping up Appearances, etc., but it was still shit.

57 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

It's all subjective isn't it ? 99% of TV is shite, it's not really worth getting annoyed by it.

Leigh Francis is an unfunny goon, but there's clearly an audience for it. Same with wrestling, don't get the hate for it or the 'haha but you like wrestling' insults. It's not my thing, I've not watched it since I was around 15, but if that's the medium people like to choose to escape the dreary cycle of work/home/sleep/work then so what.

Let people enjoy things.

Well aye. You are of course correct. But my counter argument would be naw. I have no good reason, but naw.

People enjoy The Sun. But I can say it's shit. People enjoy whatever the latest popular beat combo is. For the sake of argument let's say The Fast Food Rockers or Robson and Jerome (my knowledge of the current download charts is lacking), but they were shit. People enjoy a lot of shit, and it's not just subjective; some things are (all but) empirically worse than others. Tuborg is worse than Erdinger, Richmond Sausages are worse than something fancy out a butcher, my attempts at DIY are worse than probably everyone else on here, and Keith Lemon is worse than herpes. You could probably find someone to disagree with any of those if you tried, but what would be the point? We would all know deep down what the truth was.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There always was shite on the telly, perhaps there's just more shite.

I can remember Saturday nights being grim in the early 1980s. If you weren't into "family entertainment" shows, and our family weren't, with only 3 channels you ended up watching Chronicle on BBC2 about the ancient Mesopotamians

Here's  schedules from 40 years ago to remind you of what you were missing. Buck Rogers, "Rock on Tommeh!", and Val Doonican hosting Pam Ayers and Ray Charles. 

Sometimes i love the Internet. 

Saturday 16th May 1981

ITV Westward
09:30 LOOK AND SEE
09:35 THUNDERBIRDS
10:20 GUS HONEYBUNS BIRTHDAYS
10:25 THE EXTRAORDINARY PEOPLE SHOW
10:50 SATURDAY MORNING PICTURE SHOW
12:27 WESTWARD NEWS
12:30 WORLD OF SPORT
17:05 DICK TURPINS GREATEST ADVENTURE
17:35 ITN NEWS AND WEATHER
17:40 WESTWARD NEWS
17:42 BUCK RODGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY
18:35 ONLY WHEN I LAUGH
19:05 FOOTBALL - THE BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS
20:00 FAMILY FORTUNES
20:35 THE CANNON AND BALL SHOW
21:05 ITN NEWS AND SPORT
21:20 FEATURE FILM/DEATH WISH
23:05 THE MONTE CARLO SHOW
00:00 FAITH FOR LIFE
00:05 WEATHER AND SHIPPING FORECAST
00:06 CLOSEDOWN

12:30
 Sat 16th May 1981, 12:30 on BBC One London

See panel

based on the books by FRANKLIN W. DIXON and CAROLYN KEENE This week: in The Lady on Thursday at Ten
Driving down a dark New York alley in pouring rain. Nancy accidentally knocks down a pedestrian - and that is just the beginning of a terrifying series of events ...
Written by Christopher crows directed by joseph plvney

Contributors

Unknown:
Franklin W. Dixon
Unknown:
Carolyn Keene
Written By:
Christopher Crows
Directed By:
Joseph Plvney
Nancy Drew:
Pamela Sue Martin
Carson Drew:
William Schallert
Eghan:
Simon Oakland
Rocky:
John Karlen

17:55

Sat 16th May 1981, 17:55 on BBC One London

with Kenneth Kendall; Weatherman

Contributors

Newsreader:
Kenneth Kendall

18:05

Regional Variations (2)

Sports News Wales

BBC One Wales

18:10

starring Terry Wogan
You can keep your feet warm by wearing a hat. True or false?
Each week two teams of contestants join Terry for this comedy-game show about hoaxes, spoofs, and tall stories.
Find out just how gullible the two teams are, as well as the family at home, when Terry asks them to judge the authenticity of obscure objects, faulty films and the surprising secrets of a Star Personality.
Programme associates
JEREMY BEADLE and TONY HAWES Sound LAURIE TAYLOR
Lighting FETER WESSON Designer BOB COVE
Director KEITH STEWART
Producer MARCUS plantin
("pDðlj inofi itOnoMH jso; si jo^y flpoq fo ¡Uð;) tad 08-anjJ : xa.Tmi y

Contributors

Unknown:
Terry Wogan
Unknown:
Jeremy Beadle
Unknown:
Tony Hawes
Unknown:
Laurie Taylor
Director:
Keith Stewart
Producer:
Marcus Plantin

starring
Raymond Burr with Ted Shackelford , James Canning Jeannie Fitzsimmons
While serving a prison sentence for a crime he did not commit. Frank Jordan studied criminal law. Now, years later, an eminently successful lawyer, he is dedicated to helping those unjustly convicted - giving them the ' Jordan Chance'.
With the help of his three assistants, Jordan sets out to help Elena Delgado , a young office worker convicted of the murder of her former boyfriend. They find very few people who want to see the case re-opened.
Screenplay by STEPHEN j. CANNELL Produced by ROY HUGGINS Directed by JULES IRVING
(First showing on British television)

Contributors

Unknown:
Raymond Burr
Unknown:
Ted Shackelford
Unknown:
James Canning
Unknown:
Jeannie Fitzsimmons
Unknown:
Frank Jordan
Unknown:
Elena Delgado
Unknown:
Stephen J. Cannell
Produced By:
Roy Huggins
Directed By:
Jules Irving
Frank Jordan:
Raymond Birr
Jimmy Foster:
James Canning
Karen Wagner:
Jeannie Fitzsimmons
Brian Klosky:
Ted Shackelford
Elena Delgado:
Maria-Elena Cordero
Alfredo DeVega:
George Dicenzo
Jasper Cotton:
John McIntire
Lee Southerland:
Peter Haskell
Virna Stewart:
Stella Stevens
Lew Mayfield:
John Dennis Johnston
Sid Burton:
Gerald McRaney
Ted Teeton:
Walt Davis
Terry Prescott:
Rod Haase

Entertainment for all the family live from the Television Theatre in London. starring Val Doonican with his special guests
Pam Ayres , The Chieftains and from America - the choral sound of Ray Charles and his Singers also featuring
Tracey Miller , Victy Silva Val Stokes with Camilla Blair , Jane Danielle and Victoria Shellard
Musical director RONNIE hazlehurst Musical associate ROGER RICHARDS
Written by CHRIS MILLER , VAL DOONICA.'I Costume designer lynda WOODFIELD Sound KEITH GUNN
Lighting KEN MACGREGOR Designer martin COLLINS
Production YVONNE LITTLEWOOD

Contributors

Unknown:
Val Doonican
Unknown:
Pam Ayres
Unknown:
Ray Charles
Unknown:
Tracey Miller
Unknown:
Victy Silva
Unknown:
Val Stokes
Unknown:
Camilla Blair
Unknown:
Jane Danielle
Unknown:
Roger Richards
Written By:
Chris Miller
Unknown:
Ken MacGregor
Designer:
Martin Collins

20:55
 Sat 16th May 1981, 20:55 on BBC One London

with Kenneth Kendall
Weather

Contributors

Newsreader:
Kenneth Kendall

21:10

Sat 16th May 1981, 21:10 on BBC One London

A series in 13 parts by ALEX HALEY
The extraordinary saga of one man's search for his roots which led to a best-selling book and two highly successful television series on both sides of the Atlantic. starring and 2: Kunta Kinte, captured by slave traders, endures the horrors of the long sea journey to America. After being sold to a tobacco farmer he makes the first of many attempts to escape, determined to retain his own identity.
Written for television by WILLIAM BLINN and ERNEST KINOY Produced by STAN MARGULIES
Directors DAVID GREENE , JOHN ERMAN A DAVID WOLPER production

Contributors

Unknown:
Alex Haley
Television By:
William Blinn
Produced By:
Stan Margulies
Directors:
David Greene
Directors:
John Erman
Captain Davies:
Edward Asner
Mrs Reynolds:
Lynda Day George
Fiddler:
Louis Gossett Jr
John Reynolds:
Lome Greene
Ames:
Vic Morrow
Dr William Reynolds:
Robert Reed
Slater:
Ralph Waite
Kunta Kinte:
Levar Burton
Wrestler:
Ji-Tu Cumbuka
Carrington:
Paul Siienar
Fanta:
Ren Woods

22:40

Regional Variations (2)

International Sportscene

BBC One Scotland

Introduced by Jimmy Hill featuring
Northern Ireland v England from
Windsor Park, Belfast and Wales v Scotland from Vetch Field, Swansea
Action highlights of this afternoon's opening matches from the Home International Soccer Championships. Commentators
JOHN MOTSON , BARRY DAVIES
Producers ALEC WEEKS
JOHN SHREWSBURY, JOHN WATTS Series producer FRED VINER Editor MIKE MURPHY

Contributors

Introduced By:
Jimmy Hill
Unknown:
John Motson
Unknown:
Barry Davies
Producer:
Fred Viner
Editor:
Mike Murphy

Bob Langley and Jenny Hanley introduce a cheerful, irreverent blend of music and conversation live from the foyer of Pebble Mill.
Tonight's guests include
Derek Nimmo , Lena Zavaroni and Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones With KENNY BALL AND HIS JAZZMEN
Director boy NORTON Producer ROY RONNIE BBC Birmingham

Contributors

Unknown:
Bob Langley
Unknown:
Jenny Hanley
Unknown:
Derek Nimmo
Unknown:
Lena Zavaroni
Unknown:
Bill Wyman

00:15
 Sun 17th May 1981, 00:15 on BBC One London

12 hours ago, GordonD said:

I think you're remembering wrongly. That was the Generation Game with Bruce Forsyth.

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

Here's  schedules from 40 years ago to remind you of what you were missing. Buck Rogers, "Rock on Tommeh!", and Val Doonican hosting Pam Ayers and Ray Charles. 

Sometimes i love the Internet. 

Saturday 16th May 1981

ITV Westward
09:30 LOOK AND SEE
09:35 THUNDERBIRDS
10:20 GUS HONEYBUNS BIRTHDAYS
10:25 THE EXTRAORDINARY PEOPLE SHOW
10:50 SATURDAY MORNING PICTURE SHOW
12:27 WESTWARD NEWS
12:30 WORLD OF SPORT
17:05 DICK TURPINS GREATEST ADVENTURE
17:35 ITN NEWS AND WEATHER
17:40 WESTWARD NEWS
17:42 BUCK RODGERS IN THE 25TH CENTURY
18:35 ONLY WHEN I LAUGH
19:05 FOOTBALL - THE BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS
20:00 FAMILY FORTUNES
20:35 THE CANNON AND BALL SHOW
21:05 ITN NEWS AND SPORT
21:20 FEATURE FILM/DEATH WISH
23:05 THE MONTE CARLO SHOW
00:00 FAITH FOR LIFE
00:05 WEATHER AND SHIPPING FORECAST
00:06 CLOSEDOWN

12:30
 Sat 16th May 1981, 12:30 on BBC One London

See panel

based on the books by FRANKLIN W. DIXON and CAROLYN KEENE This week: in The Lady on Thursday at Ten
Driving down a dark New York alley in pouring rain. Nancy accidentally knocks down a pedestrian - and that is just the beginning of a terrifying series of events ...
Written by Christopher crows directed by joseph plvney

Contributors

Unknown:
Franklin W. Dixon
Unknown:
Carolyn Keene
Written By:
Christopher Crows
Directed By:
Joseph Plvney
Nancy Drew:
Pamela Sue Martin
Carson Drew:
William Schallert
Eghan:
Simon Oakland
Rocky:
John Karlen

17:55

Sat 16th May 1981, 17:55 on BBC One London

with Kenneth Kendall; Weatherman

Contributors

Newsreader:
Kenneth Kendall

18:05

Regional Variations (2)

Sports News Wales

BBC One Wales

18:10

starring Terry Wogan
You can keep your feet warm by wearing a hat. True or false?
Each week two teams of contestants join Terry for this comedy-game show about hoaxes, spoofs, and tall stories.
Find out just how gullible the two teams are, as well as the family at home, when Terry asks them to judge the authenticity of obscure objects, faulty films and the surprising secrets of a Star Personality.
Programme associates
JEREMY BEADLE and TONY HAWES Sound LAURIE TAYLOR
Lighting FETER WESSON Designer BOB COVE
Director KEITH STEWART
Producer MARCUS plantin
("pDðlj inofi itOnoMH jso; si jo^y flpoq fo ¡Uð;) tad 08-anjJ : xa.Tmi y

Contributors

Unknown:
Terry Wogan
Unknown:
Jeremy Beadle
Unknown:
Tony Hawes
Unknown:
Laurie Taylor
Director:
Keith Stewart
Producer:
Marcus Plantin

starring
Raymond Burr with Ted Shackelford , James Canning Jeannie Fitzsimmons
While serving a prison sentence for a crime he did not commit. Frank Jordan studied criminal law. Now, years later, an eminently successful lawyer, he is dedicated to helping those unjustly convicted - giving them the ' Jordan Chance'.
With the help of his three assistants, Jordan sets out to help Elena Delgado , a young office worker convicted of the murder of her former boyfriend. They find very few people who want to see the case re-opened.
Screenplay by STEPHEN j. CANNELL Produced by ROY HUGGINS Directed by JULES IRVING
(First showing on British television)

Contributors

Unknown:
Raymond Burr
Unknown:
Ted Shackelford
Unknown:
James Canning
Unknown:
Jeannie Fitzsimmons
Unknown:
Frank Jordan
Unknown:
Elena Delgado
Unknown:
Stephen J. Cannell
Produced By:
Roy Huggins
Directed By:
Jules Irving
Frank Jordan:
Raymond Birr
Jimmy Foster:
James Canning
Karen Wagner:
Jeannie Fitzsimmons
Brian Klosky:
Ted Shackelford
Elena Delgado:
Maria-Elena Cordero
Alfredo DeVega:
George Dicenzo
Jasper Cotton:
John McIntire
Lee Southerland:
Peter Haskell
Virna Stewart:
Stella Stevens
Lew Mayfield:
John Dennis Johnston
Sid Burton:
Gerald McRaney
Ted Teeton:
Walt Davis
Terry Prescott:
Rod Haase

Entertainment for all the family live from the Television Theatre in London. starring Val Doonican with his special guests
Pam Ayres , The Chieftains and from America - the choral sound of Ray Charles and his Singers also featuring
Tracey Miller , Victy Silva Val Stokes with Camilla Blair , Jane Danielle and Victoria Shellard
Musical director RONNIE hazlehurst Musical associate ROGER RICHARDS
Written by CHRIS MILLER , VAL DOONICA.'I Costume designer lynda WOODFIELD Sound KEITH GUNN
Lighting KEN MACGREGOR Designer martin COLLINS
Production YVONNE LITTLEWOOD

Contributors

Unknown:
Val Doonican
Unknown:
Pam Ayres
Unknown:
Ray Charles
Unknown:
Tracey Miller
Unknown:
Victy Silva
Unknown:
Val Stokes
Unknown:
Camilla Blair
Unknown:
Jane Danielle
Unknown:
Roger Richards
Written By:
Chris Miller
Unknown:
Ken MacGregor
Designer:
Martin Collins

20:55
 Sat 16th May 1981, 20:55 on BBC One London

with Kenneth Kendall
Weather

Contributors

Newsreader:
Kenneth Kendall

21:10

Sat 16th May 1981, 21:10 on BBC One London

A series in 13 parts by ALEX HALEY
The extraordinary saga of one man's search for his roots which led to a best-selling book and two highly successful television series on both sides of the Atlantic. starring and 2: Kunta Kinte, captured by slave traders, endures the horrors of the long sea journey to America. After being sold to a tobacco farmer he makes the first of many attempts to escape, determined to retain his own identity.
Written for television by WILLIAM BLINN and ERNEST KINOY Produced by STAN MARGULIES
Directors DAVID GREENE , JOHN ERMAN A DAVID WOLPER production

Contributors

Unknown:
Alex Haley
Television By:
William Blinn
Produced By:
Stan Margulies
Directors:
David Greene
Directors:
John Erman
Captain Davies:
Edward Asner
Mrs Reynolds:
Lynda Day George
Fiddler:
Louis Gossett Jr
John Reynolds:
Lome Greene
Ames:
Vic Morrow
Dr William Reynolds:
Robert Reed
Slater:
Ralph Waite
Kunta Kinte:
Levar Burton
Wrestler:
Ji-Tu Cumbuka
Carrington:
Paul Siienar
Fanta:
Ren Woods

22:40

Regional Variations (2)

International Sportscene

BBC One Scotland

Introduced by Jimmy Hill featuring
Northern Ireland v England from
Windsor Park, Belfast and Wales v Scotland from Vetch Field, Swansea
Action highlights of this afternoon's opening matches from the Home International Soccer Championships. Commentators
JOHN MOTSON , BARRY DAVIES
Producers ALEC WEEKS
JOHN SHREWSBURY, JOHN WATTS Series producer FRED VINER Editor MIKE MURPHY

Contributors

Introduced By:
Jimmy Hill
Unknown:
John Motson
Unknown:
Barry Davies
Producer:
Fred Viner
Editor:
Mike Murphy

Bob Langley and Jenny Hanley introduce a cheerful, irreverent blend of music and conversation live from the foyer of Pebble Mill.
Tonight's guests include
Derek Nimmo , Lena Zavaroni and Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones With KENNY BALL AND HIS JAZZMEN
Director boy NORTON Producer ROY RONNIE BBC Birmingham

Contributors

Unknown:
Bob Langley
Unknown:
Jenny Hanley
Unknown:
Derek Nimmo
Unknown:
Lena Zavaroni
Unknown:
Bill Wyman

00:15
 Sun 17th May 1981, 00:15 on BBC One London

Missing a 'classic'

15 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

For every classic sitcom, you've always had some utterly gash stuff running in parallel that panders to the lowest common denominator and is way more popular than it should have been. In the 70s, for every Fawlty Towers or Reggie Perrin, there was an On The Buses, Robin's Nest or Mind Your Language, and in the 80s for every Young Ones or Blackadder there was a Hi-De-Hi, Allo Allo or Terry and June.

We still get some things that are probably destined to be classics...the likes of Detectorists, Friday Night Dinner, maybe Derry Girls and a couple of others will likely stand the test of time, but Mrs Brown's Boys and the like are just the modern manifestation of On The Buses.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but the first series of Allo Allo was class. It just went on too long, and lost its humour.

Only Fools won't be everyone's cup of Darjeeling, but comparing it to Mrs Brown's boys is a horrendous call.

MBB is lowest common denominator stuff, and the main guy's ego is off the scale - the rest of the cast are basically cheerleaders for him.

Pal of mine came in one night telling us that MBB is the funniest thing ever, and anyone who doesn't like it is a snob. :lol: The c**t raves about Celebrity Juice as well. 

I saw a trailer for this new Francis/Holden thing - I had genuinely wondered whether the character was an unfortunate soul who'd been in a horrendous accident.

Turns out it's worse than that, but it suddenly makes sense knowing it's Francis.

Hard to say who is the more unlikeable of the two, but Holden possibly edges it. 

23 hours ago, milton75 said:

Was going to put this in the TV forum, but I have a few wider questions for P&B regarding what goes on in TV commissioning, and where society is as a whole.

So - who decided that this should be on TV? The work behind the scenes for any programme is huge, so a lot of people must believe in this. Maybe it's me that's wrong. Maybe I'm being a ridiculous snob about it, but it looks appalling. Leigh Francis is about as funny as an anal fissure. 
I guess if Mrs Brown's Boys can be as popular as it is then nothing should surprise me.

Channel 4 is still publicly owned. Can I complain about this awful waste of cash?

This looks even worse than Citizen Khan, Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda combined. 

Morbidly curious to see how horrendous it is. 

Part of the trouble with the TV-in-the-80s vs TV now debate is choice. Growing up in the 80s we had 4 channels and local video shops, and that's it. Today there are hundreds of channels on TV, plus various streaming services. The money available to make these new shows hasn't increased in line with the sheer volume of 'content' needed. So we end up today with the odd good show with high production values, but immersed in a TV schedule filled with reality TV, mind-numbing dull shows that are instantly forgotten and repeats. 

TV in the 80s was, on average, better than now simply because there was less of the utter guff around like the show that kicked this thread off. But there was still some guff. And I don't think TV in the 80s really stretched itself like it did from the late 90s onwards.  

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Not all old TV was shite. Michael Bentine's potty time is a classic 

Same goes for Trumpton and Chigley. 

I won't have a word said against them. 😄

Time flies by when you're the driver of a train,

Speeding out of Trumpton with a cargo of cocaine...

I also met Michael Bentine once . Very nice man.