Who watches this pish?

milton75

For every classic sitcom, you've always had some utterly gash stuff running in parallel that panders to the lowest common denominator and is way more popular than it should have been. In the 70s, for every Fawlty Towers or Reggie Perrin, there was an On The Buses, Robin's Nest or Mind Your Language, and in the 80s for every Young Ones or Blackadder there was a Hi-De-Hi, Allo Allo or Terry and June.

We still get some things that are probably destined to be classics...the likes of Detectorists, Friday Night Dinner, maybe Derry Girls and a couple of others will likely stand the test of time, but Mrs Brown's Boys and the like are just the modern manifestation of On The Buses.

It's all subjective isn't it ? 99% of TV is shite, it's not really worth getting annoyed by it.

Leigh Francis is an unfunny goon, but there's clearly an audience for it. Same with wrestling, don't get the hate for it or the 'haha but you like wrestling' insults. It's not my thing, I've not watched it since I was around 15, but if that's the medium people like to choose to escape the dreary cycle of work/home/sleep/work then so what.

Let people enjoy things.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Nah Wrestling is really odd. 

Well yeah, but if I was going to watch a soap opera, I would probably choose the one with violence and scantily clad actors rather than a bunch of pensioners on a cobbled street in Manchester.

It's just showbiz baby.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I can remember Saturday nights being grim in the early 1980s. If you weren't into "family entertainment" shows, and our family weren't, with only 3 channels you ended up watching Chronicle on BBC2 about the ancient Mesopotamians

I think you're remembering wrongly. That was the Generation Game with Bruce Forsyth.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

As an aside - a non-exhaustive list of people who can f**k off from telly and never return:

Amanda Holden
Paddy McGuinness
Michael McIntyre
David Walliams
Mel and Sue
Big Narstie

Can I add Joel fucking Dommett to the list?

Since him appearing on I'm A Celebrity in December 2016 and not having a clue who he was or what he did its now a standing joke for me and my missus that he appears on evrything.

I still have no idea why he's a celebrity or what he does, kids wanted to watch Socceraid and I jokingly said that Joel would appear, the c**t came on at half time.

I can tell you now, he is not a goalkeeper.