State of the group

Donathan

2 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
4 hours ago, realmadrid said:
That thought went through my head last night. 
The Moldova game could effect the seeding as well as the chance of qualification.

No because its results against the 6th seeds that drop off rather than results against the bottom team

No it isn't, it's the results against the bottom team. Otherwise you could have a bit of an issue if the 6th seeds finished 2nd and didn't have any results to lose.

No it isn't, it's the results against the bottom team. Otherwise you could have a bit of an issue if the 6th seeds finished 2nd and didn't have any results to lose.
Shit I completely misread that. Bollocks but maybe there is a situation that could actually benefit us in another group if we do the job in Moldova

16 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

Trying to figure this out and it's hurting my head. I take it that the percentages are taken based on 6 points being taken off your total. If we draw in Moldova and they still finish bottom could that not actually benefit us?

No. Because they taking 4 points off a lower total still gives you the same number as taking 6 points off a higher total.

Maybe getting ahead of myself but does anyone know how they decide who would be at home for the final?

The seeded teams are at home in the semis, presumably they will say the winner of one of the ties will host the final, but is this seeded or a random draw? Just wondering where people are getting “two away ties” from.

Random draw  in advance of the semis as there isn't enough time to make a re-seeded draw as there's only 4 day gap in between semis and finals 

Similar to how we knew we were away to winner of Serbia vs Norway for the Euros despite us being seeded in the semis

Edited by Fuctifano

23 hours ago, betting competition said:

I mind a few months ago SSN were running with the story that Germany were in danger of not qualifying having won one and lost one in their opening 2 games.  They were the first European nation to qualify and are probably going to win the group by 10 points, whereas England, as usual, are flattering to deceive in qualifying.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I mind a few months ago SSN were running with the story that Germany were in danger of not qualifying having won one and lost one in their opening 2 games.  They were the first European nation to qualify and are probably going to win the group by 10 points, whereas England, as usual, are flattering to deceive in qualifying.

Binning Jogi Low and replacing him with Hansi Flick has helped.

Edited by JamesM82

22 hours ago, Donathan said:

There is also the possibility that us losing to Moldova leads to them finishing above the Faroe Islands which would be an absolute disaster for seeding purposes.

Moldova beat us 1-0 and lose 1-0 to Austria whilst the Faroes suffer 4-0 defeats in both Denmark and Israel would have Moldova 5th and our 6 points against the Faroes scrapped and replaced by only 3 against Moldova. Disaster.

I think a point will probably be enough to finish second because I don’t see Israel winning in Austria (although we shouldn’t count our chickens because Israel are an up and coming team whereas Austria are a descending team) but a defeat in Moldova would be a disaster for many reasons. 

In that scenario, Israel would finish second (and the seeding point rendered moot) if they avoid defeat in Austria. If Austria beat Israel and we finished second with our current points total, it's unlikely we would be seeded even if the Faroes stayed above Moldova.

38 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I haven't watched any of their games, so maybe the scorelines aren't representative, but I only see one vaguely embarrassing result in their qualification (the 1-1 with Hungary). They also drew with Poland away, then won all the rest of their games. One 2-1, one 2-0, two 4-0 and two 5-0. They've conceded 3 goals, only one of which was against a not particularly good team. They have one less point than Germany with a much tougher second seed (Poland rk:24, Romania rk:42. Hungary actually rank higher than Romania at 40). I don't want to be that guy who sticks up for England, but that seems a pretty decent qualification to me...?