State of the group

Donathan

19 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
47 minutes ago, G51 said:
I watched Wales last night and it’s unthinkable that we’d lose a game to those jobbers. An absolutely pathetic football team.

The flip side. Watched them on Friday night and thought at 2v2 "they are all over a team we just lost pretty tamely to at home". Wales would be a tough, tough game.

We are as good a team as the Czechs. On that day we were even in terms of the stats and they just finished better than us. No reason we can’t beat them at home next time. 

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
50 minutes ago, G51 said:
I watched Wales last night and it’s unthinkable that we’d lose a game to those jobbers. An absolutely pathetic football team.

The flip side. Watched them on Friday night and thought at 2v2 "they are all over a team we just lost pretty tamely to at home". Wales would be a tough, tough game.

They were lucky to escape Estonia with the points.  Kieffer Moore makes McBurnie look talented.

They've somehow contrived to make the mighty Belarus and Estonia look like half decent outfits, and as they always do, play a get-out-of-jail-free card.

They could get absolutely scudded in the playoff if they catch the wrong team on a good day.

Presumably our chances of doing it on 14 points improve now with Ukraine out the running, so now looking for 2 groups to finish ahead of. Wales and Norway best bets for me, think Turkey will struggle to win in Montenegro. Point against Denmark would virtually guarantee it unless Norway beat Netherlands or Wales beat Belgium. Unfortunately we won't know what we need going into the Denmark game so probably best to just win it.

15 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Presumably our chances of doing it on 14 points improve now with Ukraine out the running, so now looking for 2 groups to finish ahead of. Wales and Norway best bets for me, think Turkey will struggle to win in Montenegro. Point against Denmark would virtually guarantee it unless Norway beat Netherlands or Wales beat Belgium. Unfortunately we won't know what we need going into the Denmark game so probably best to just win it.

Still possible for Finland to win their two games in group D and go to 14 +2, though that would need a win against France.

Looks like groups A, B, and C are going to have at least 16 points. Group E will have the Czechs on 14 +4 unless Wales get something from Belgium.

Really hope that our lack of goals tonight doesn't let us down...

40 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Is it just me that would rather we played the play off matches away from home?  I think our best performances under Steve Clarke have been when we've been defensively resolute and looked to nick a goal, thinking Serbia, England and Austria.

I agree with you up to a point - the problem is that the seeded teams we'd play away from home are likely to be better teams than the unseeded ones we'd play at home.

Is it just me that would rather we played the play off matches away from home?  I think our best performances under Steve Clarke have been when we've been defensively resolute and looked to nick a goal, thinking Serbia, England and Austria.
Huge difference now with capacity crowds back surely ?

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Huge difference now with capacity crowds back surely ?

It's not always an advantage to have a home support. Puts different pressures on the home team.

To put it another way - we will very likely need to avoid defeat v Denmark to be seeded. The Moldova game only counts for securing second place, because they'll almost certainly finish bottom (3 points and 7 goals behind the Faroes with two games to go). 

I can't be bothered by all this seeded/unseeded malarkey. 

Let's just win against Moldova, secure that 2nd spot, and allow ourselves to be happy that we've reached the play offs, regardless.

The play offs will be challenging whoever we end up drawing against.  

1 minute ago, monthefife said:

I can't be bothered by all this seeded/unseeded malarkey. 

Let's just win against Moldova, secure that 2nd spot, and allow ourselves to be happy that we've reached the play offs, regardless.

The play offs will be challenging whoever we end up drawing against.  

It's all just marginal gains anyway, not worth getting all het up over