Worst Spin-off?

scottsdad

On 09/09/2021 at 19:26, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 09/09/2021 at 10:23, scottsdad said:
Frasier, NCIS, Star Trek: The Next Generation, off the top of my head are all good

Deep Space 9 as well

Deep space 9 was the best out of all Star Treks. It had a guy whose head was shaped like an arse, which was quite funny and therefore one redeeming feature more than the rest had between them. 

On 09/09/2021 at 15:58, scottsdad said:

Frasier has been mentioned a few times as a good spin off - but it wasn't the only spin-off from Cheers. The Tortellis, centred around Carla's family, Cancelled after 13 episodes.

none of us would've seen that though as it was only aired in the US, it got chucked in the bin, then they decided to have a go with someone else from Cheers and that one worked out just fine. 

23 hours ago, sfha said:

The TNG, DS9 and Voyager spin offs haven't dated very well. 

Of the three, I'd say DS9 was originally the best and has aged the best. TNG looks rough, and you can tell (especially in the first couple of series) that the special effects and writing hadn't quite got up to scratch. 

Voyager started out as unremitting pish, and aged as pish. 

On the "worst spin-off" topic, Discovery is a pile of shite. Takes itself far too seriously but is just a bloody mess.

On 12/09/2021 at 04:53, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The StarGate SG1 TV show spin off was pretty good but the spin offs from that were not.

Bad British TV spin offs would be all the many, many reality shows they rehash with terrible celebrities I’ve never heard of. 

I quite liked Stargate Universe.

On 13/09/2021 at 14:29, scottsdad said:

Of the three, I'd say DS9 was originally the best and has aged the best. TNG looks rough, and you can tell (especially in the first couple of series) that the special effects and writing hadn't quite got up to scratch. 

Voyager started out as unremitting pish, and aged as pish. 

On the "worst spin-off" topic, Discovery is a pile of shite. Takes itself far too seriously but is just a bloody mess.

TNG, DS9 and Voyager all rotated the main character for each episode.  This worked best for DS9 where all the main cast were different but interesting.  It easily had the best supporting cast.  Every Garak episode was great. 

Denise Crosby left TNG on the basis of "my character is dull I want out".  That was the correct decision although her guess appearances later were great.  By contrast Troi's mother and Worf's son were both dull.

Voyager had the blandest characters.  It also had the blandest aliens (apart from the Borg).  In many episodes it was battle scarred but in the next episode it was as good as new.  Also if it was racing across space then why did it ever encounter the same aliens twice.

Enterprise had several bland characters and episodes although Shran was great.

Never liked the serialised approach of Discovery and Picard.

Really hoping "Strange New World" will get things back to normal.  Pike, Spock, Number 1, Uhuru, Nurse Chapel and others and also episodic.

Edited by Fullerene

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

TNG, DS9 and Voyager all rotated the main character for each episode.  This worked best for DS9 where all the main cast were different but interesting.  It easily had the best supporting cast.  Every Garak episode was great. 

Denise Crosby left TNG on the basis of "my character is dull I want out".  That was the correct decision although her guess appearances later were great.  By contrast Troi's mother and Worf's son were both dull.

Voyager had the blandest characters.  It also had the blandest aliens (apart from the Borg).  In many episodes it was battle scarred but in the next episode it was as good as new.  Also if it was racing across space then why did it ever encounter the same aliens twice.

Enterprise had several bland characters and episodes although Shran was great.

Never liked the serialised approach of Discovery and Picard.

Really hoping "Strange New World" will get things back to normal.  Pike, Spock, Number 1, Uhuru, Nurse Chapel and others and also episodic.

Agree with all of that. Though I always thought Tasha Yar was pretty good and, in season 1, Worf was the one standing at the back doing hee haw. 

After MASH was a clear example of trying to squeeze the last drop of blood out of one of the most successful TV shows of all time.

How about Joey? I notice it didn't even get a passing mention on that Friends reunion special.

Talking of special, those old enough to remember Joanie Loves Chachi can probably still taste the sick in their mouths. Although revisiting Happy Days itself makes you wonder how it ever remained successful for so long. In fact, it was pretty guff from the very beginning.

Mrs Columbo was an obscene idea that collapsed accordingly.

Edited by Satans_Husband

1 hour ago, Satans_Husband said:

After MASH was a clear example of trying to squeeze the last drop of blood out of one of the most successful TV shows of all time.

How about Joey? I notice it didn't even get a passing mention on that Friends reunion special.

Talking of special, those old enough to remember Joanie Loves Chachi can probably still taste the sick in their mouths. Although revisiting Happy Days itself makes you wonder how it ever remained successful for so long. In fact, it was pretty guff from the very beginning.

Mrs Columbo was an obscene idea that collapsed accordingly.

Happy Days is where the expression "Jumping the shark" comes from.  It refers to an episode where Fonzie jumps a shark and means a show that has gone on too long.

Conversely Star Trek Next Gen is where the expression "Growing the beard" comes from .  It refers to Riker growing a beard after Season 1 and means a show has become good enough to watch.

Both "Mork and Mindy" and "Laverne and Shirley" were successful spin offs of Happy Days.

15 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Happy Days is where the expression "Jumping the shark" comes from.  It refers to an episode where Fonzie jumps a shark and means a show that has gone on too long.

Conversely Star Trek Next Gen is where the expression "Growing the beard" comes from .  It refers to Riker growing a beard after Season 1 and means a show has become good enough to watch.

Both "Mork and Mindy" and "Laverne and Shirley" were successful spin offs of Happy Days.

Happy Days was a spin off itself apparently. Can't remember what of, nothing well known here though. 

16 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

It was inspired by American Graffiti.

Double checked my info- it was spun off Love, American Style. It could be both spun off that and inspired by American Graffiti at the same time i suppose. 

While checking, i was reminded of the other Happy Days offspring:

tumblr_db8c8e38bad8f8ad8a30123f42b55921_2604be21_500.gif.de5b984db6b42bf623db3a9b93860f24.gif

If i remember right Fonzy had magic powers when he clicked his fingers and went "heeeeeyyyyyyy" . I think he stopped a flash flood, or a wave or something once. 

On 08/09/2021 at 11:47, Bert Raccoon said:

The Green Green Grass, I'm a massive Only Fools And Horses fan but that programme was just unwatchable 

Wasn’t looking good for John Challis as he was cancelling his tour last week  due to ill health ,but sad news of his death the day , was one of my favourite characters in only fools and horses .