Worst Spin-off?

scottsdad

Whenever there is a successful TV show, executives often try to squeeze a new one out of it. But it goes wrong more than it goes right. For every Frasier, there are a dozen Joeys. For every NCIS, there are Star Trek: Voyagers stinking up the airwaves. But what is the absolute worst?

The show that got me thinking this was on TV yesterday. I caught 5 minutes of Galactica 1980, an absolute horror of a spin-off that is painful to the eyes. Kids jumping up into trees, two guys looking at a phone box saying "This is how these people communicate with one another" followed by alleged comedy of one guy trying to talk to the phone. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I didn’t mind Joey tbh, it was infinitely better than a number of sitcoms that got a much longer run. 

Baywatch Nights would be up there for me though

Baywatch Nights had Angie Harmon in it, though...

Voyager gets mentioned ahead of Enterprise.

Sitcom wise: That '70s show had a spin-off called That '80s show which was pretty bad. Keeping it British, Going Straight compared to Porridge.

Crime Procedurals: Bones had something called the Finder.

Drama: I watched season one but gave up on Mayans, it's a poor version of Sons of Anarchy.

Sci-Fi: Caprica could never live up to BSG.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Voyager gets mentioned ahead of Enterprise.

Sitcom wise: That '70s show had a spin-off called That '80s show which was pretty bad. Keeping it British, Going Straight compared to Porridge.

Crime Procedurals: Bones had something called the Finder.

Drama: I watched season one but gave up on Mayans, it's a poor version of Sons of Anarchy.

Sci-Fi: Caprica could never live up to BSG.

Some good shouts here. Mayans MC I have stuck with but it is a very poor relation to SoA. Caprica, I couldn't get in to.

On Voyager/Enterprise - Enterprise is a show in two halves. The first two seasons were really, really boring. Many folk turned off and never came back. But...seasons 3 and 4 are amongst the very best Star trek ever made. Genuinely excellent show. 

But Voyager was dreadful all the way through. Bringing in Jeri Ryan in a skin-tight outfit helped it limp along to season 7 but the writing, sets, cast, acting and drama were all utterly woeful.  

I'm not sure if these count as spin offs, but the later reboots of Auf Wiedersehen Pet are some of the most atrocious TV shows ever made.

The original series was a masterpiece. It had an original and unique storyline and featured flawed but likeable characters in amusing and dramatic situations.

The second series was contrived pish but just about passable.

The later seasons, where they were fighting crime in exotic locations, were just a fucking insult.

I don't think that any show has ever jumped the shark in such an emphatic manner.

Whenever there is a successful TV show, executives often try to squeeze a new one out of it. But it goes wrong more than it goes right. For every Frasier, there are a dozen Joeys. For every NCIS, there are Star Trek: Voyagers stinking up the airwaves. But what is the absolute worst?
The show that got me thinking this was on TV yesterday. I caught 5 minutes of Galactica 1980, an absolute horror of a spin-off that is painful to the eyes. Kids jumping up into trees, two guys looking at a phone box saying "This is how these people communicate with one another" followed by alleged comedy of one guy trying to talk to the phone. 
Wrong Star Trek - you mean Enterprise.

Voyager was actually a pretty decent throwback to the original in alot of ways - Unknown territory, new people to meet etc etc. They got it horribly wrong with Enterprise. 
The Stargate spin offs were miles off the original, especially universe.