Dumbarton vs East Fife

I thought we were excellent today, particularly in the 2nd half. I was a bit worried we’d just sit back in the 2nd half after Montrose but we really went for it and killed the game off which really allowed us to notch a few on the old goal difference column. Not a single failure in the team today but I thought MacLean, Wilson and Buchanan were the standouts. 

After what we witnessed under Duffy I’m still struggling to get used to feeling confident before a match and actually going out my wat to make sure I get to/watch the game. I had a feeling we’d win today but I didn’t expect it would be quite so comfortable and emphatic.

Massive credit to Faz and the players for giving us a buzz back!

Not a single failure in the team today but I thought MacLean, Wilson and Buchanan were the standouts.

100% agree with this. Buchanan was strolling through the game even before he scored. MacLean must be an absolute nightmare to play against and Wilson has bags of skill and energy. The substitutes all added something too and it was impressive how the team kept going until the very end. Can't remember leaving the stadium with such a spring in my step for many a year.[emoji846]

That was rather enjoyable. We strolled that, with the exception of a very short period at 1-0 when I thought East Fife could get back into it,  but for the vast majority we were never threatened and some of the build-up and passing moves were great to watch. Not a bad performance from us. Defensively solid and the midfield was full of energy but a special mention to Wilson who looks a cut above this level. Also great to see us bringing on subs of a similar quality to the starting XI. Shows good strength in depth.

East Fife look way off it and need to seriously sort their set-piece defending or they’ll be in trouble.

No ballboys today? Is that a Covid thing or was there another reason?

Great to build on the win at Montrose and the team should be full of confidence heading to Falkirk next week.

That was rather enjoyable. We strolled that, with the exception of a very short period at 1-0 when I thought East Fife could get back into it,  but for the vast majority we were never threatened and some of the build-up and passing moves were great to watch. Not a bad performance from us. Defensively solid and the midfield was full of energy but a special mention to Wilson who looks a cut above this level. Also great to see us bringing on subs of a similar quality to the starting XI. Shows good strength in depth.
East Fife look way off it and need to seriously sort their set-piece defending or they’ll be in trouble.
No ballboys today? Is that a Covid thing or was there another reason?
Great to build on the win at Montrose and the team should be full of confidence heading to Falkirk next week.

We haven’t been able to defend set pieces since Jonny Smart and Steven Tweed were our centre backs. Ryan McGeever must love playing against us he must have scored around 10 goals surely.

We are in trouble no doubt about it.

That was most enjoyable, albeit against a mediocre East Fife team, but on the day you have play what is in front of you.

I agree with most of the posts above but the main takeaway for me was that the midfield balance was better today than it has been for a long time - Wilson and Duthie gave us energy wide and Carsy and Carlo complemented themselves well in the engine room.

And again, the novelty of having a SQUAD as opposed to a team is most pleasing.  Well done Sons.

Just now, Rob Smith said:

Enoughs enough! Get this imposter of a Manager out ASAP! What a waste of well earned cash today. Anyone that has the brass neck to defend Young is just part of the problem. You know who you are, delusional, black and gold tinted speks! Wake up guys! 

Young must stay!!!

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

After what we witnessed under Duffy I’m still struggling to get used to feeling confident before a match and actually going out my wat to make sure I get to/watch the game. I had a feeling we’d win today but I didn’t expect it would be quite so comfortable and emphatic.

Massive credit to Faz and the players for giving us a buzz back!

Yup. Even pre lockdown, it was becoming a chore and I was missing more games than I was going to despite having a season ticket. Polar opposite now. 

Unsung hero for me today was Paddy Boyle. Thought he was excellent defensively and decent distribution with the ball.  

We haven’t been able to defend set pieces since Jonny Smart and Steven Tweed were our centre backs. Ryan McGeever must love playing against us he must have scored around 10 goals surely.

We are in trouble no doubt about it.
Today was McGeever's tenth goal for us. Four have been against East Fife.

Walking down Castle Road this afternoon, I said to my mates that nobody really enjoys watching their team, it's more like 90 minutes of angst, nerves and endurance but today made an absolute mockery of my words. We (the supporters at any rate) had our feet up and the cigars out with twenty minute left. A rare occurrence.

After a pleasant return journey from Dumbarton just a couple of thoughts on what are often seen as some of the basic rules of football management. 
Unless essential don’t change a winning team. Thinks………….EF won away from home last week.

Build a team around a solid central defence. Thinks……….EF have been very poor at defending set pieces for several seasons and today we surpassed ourselves.

Today was an embarrassment. Over the 90 minutes our defence was a shambles and our mid-field / forward play was ponderous in comparison to Dumbarton. 

This is hurting too much. Thank goodness it’s only Airdrie next week.

30 minutes ago, Rob Smith said:

Enoughs enough! Get this imposter of a Manager out ASAP! What a waste of well earned cash today. Anyone that has the brass neck to defend Young is just part of the problem. You know who you are, delusional, black and gold tinted speks! Wake up guys! 

Just when you think a bit of progress was being made with two clean sheets against Peterhead it’s 10 steps back. It’s over to the board but with Darren just putting pen to paper on a two year deal it’s very unlikely we would be able to afford a severance payment. You could probably say that result today has made up the minds of the fans that are left. That’s a Dumbarton team that we’re beat by Rangers youths and we make them look like Real Madrid. 

It goes without saying that I thought we were excellent today. All over the park we looked up for it, there was quality, there was grit and there was a flare that we could only dream about last season.

All five goals obviously came from dead balls, which is something I've never seen before, but we were good value for them - especially by the end, with East Fife having well and truly thrown in the towel after the third.

Gregor Buchanan will get the headlines for the goals, and his all-round showing. And rightly so. But I thought Ross MacLean was absolutely outstanding. He lead the line well, drifted wide well to run the channels, looked a threat every time he picked up the ball and - above all else - worked himself into the ground. He has looked like a gem of a signing so far and, based on what I've seen, I'm delighted he's on a two-year deal. I honestly think he has the ability to be a regular Championship player, and if we can get some consistency out of him (as we have done for most of this season to be fair) then there aren't many better in the league I've seen.

Kalvin Orsi deserves plenty of praise for his role today. He did the dirty work, occupied the defenders, worked as hard as ever and deserved a goal for his showing. When he's playing like that he must be a dream of a teammate to have.

Callum Wilson continues to impress and I'll be staggered if full-time clubs aren't already keeping an eye on him. 18-years-old and five assists to his name already this season. Having not played a minute of senior football prior to this year. That's something special.

His vision and control are superb, and I love the way that he almost always manages to find space when he's got the ball at his feet. 

Conner Duthie made the most of a rare start on the other side, and I thought Paddy Boyle had his best game since returning. It was nothing flash, but he was solid and used the ball well. A word too for Eoghan Stokes, who showed some lovely control and touches when he came on. He's clearly pushing on the door, it's just unfortunate that he has so many good players around him.

Joe McKee coming on and playing a part in two goals was the icing on the cake.

Edited by Jan Vojáček