Alloa Athletic v Falkirk

My first visit to the Indodrill and despite all my previous misconceptions, came away disappointed we only won by 2-0 against a very pedestrian Falkirk.

No failures today except Troutten for his missed header early on and Hutton for tipping the ball over the he bar late on instead of catching it.

Young Henderson looks pretty lively and wasn't it written in the stars that Sammon would score against his old club? Cawley covered every blade of astro turf today and revelled in his free role.

Not a fan of BF, but he did have the formation and tactics spot on, and the team played as a team and kept their shape throughout.

More of the same please.

Edited by laughing gravie

I thought we were absolutely terrific today. Won every battle all over the pitch and it didn't look like any stage that we wouldnt pick up the 3 points, very commanding.

Niang really showed his quality in the middle of the park and we really controlled things creatively with Taggart pushing forward every time he had space.

Mendy was man of the match for me, didn't put a foot wrong, kept it simple and thrived on everything that came his way.

Been a long time since I witnessed a better debut than Henderson. A great outball at all times and took his goal really well. Took the Falkirk defence to places they didn't want to go.

The enforced first half changes didn't knock us off our stride in the slightest. There's been a lot of criticism of Barry Ferguson but he has a good group there. If he can get consistent performances like today out of the team there's no reason why we can't have promotion ambitions.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

2 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

challenging a couple of over 50s to a fight fuckin priceless.   🤣🤣🤣 

a bunch of young Falkirk  fans about 15 or 20 most likely boozed up were doing the shoulder bump and      fingers in the face of one solitary  59 year old Alloa fan out at the main road before the game 

extremely brave lads (they aint ) kids nowadays eh ?

Edited by Vegetableman

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Today reminded me of my school team. We had a boy that played in it who played with Celtic and Scotland . Our game plan was always when you got the ball give it to him.  Today was give it to nesbitt. He was all over the pitch second half and our only real player that looked like creating anything. Our players gave the ball to him and then stood back and watched hoping he'd do something brilliant.  Why the feck can noone stick a team on the park the fans can at least be proud of. Today we were second to every ball and never won a single 50/50 in 90 mins. 

I like Nesbitt,  he was with Morten right ? your best player by a long way .

19 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I like Nesbitt,  he was with Morten right ? your best player by a long way .

Yes. Was stuck out wide first half which negates his potency some what due to Morrison being injured but played more central second half. He's been brilliant this season but he can't do it all himself.

43 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I thought we were absolutely terrific today. Won every battle all over the pitch and it didn't look like any stage that we wouldnt pick up the 3 points, very commanding.

Niang really showed his quality in the middle of the park and we really controlled things creatively with Taggart pushing forward every time he had space.

Mendy was man of the match for me, didn't put a foot wrong, kept it simple and thrived on everything that came his way.

Been a long time since I witnessed a better debut than Henderson. A great outball at all times and took his goal really well. Took the Falkirk defence to places they didn't want to go.

The enforced first half changes didn't knock us off our stride in the slightest. There's been a lot of criticism of Barry Ferguson but he has a good group there. If he can get consistent performances like today out of the team there's no reason why we can't have promotion ambitions.

Pretty much agree with all but Durnan was MOM. Mendy is a big strong, committed boy but imo not a player that won't lose us goals.

33 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

a bunch of young Falkirk  fans about 15 or 20 most likely boozed up were doing the shoulder bump and      fingers in the face of one solitary  59 year old Alloa fan out at the main road before the game 

extremely brave lads (they aint ) kids nowadays eh ?

Despicable wee dicks, require met on a dark night on their own.

Really enjoyed that 😁. Really good team performance and should have scored more. Strong throughout the team but thought Sena was terrific and Henderson had a fantastic debut. Durnan has been excellent so far and again did well. Have to give Mendy a lot of credit too for a dominant performance, albeit gave me the fear still at times with distribution under no pressure. Only real downside were the injuries, have to hope they aren't serious. But all in all, considerably better than the last few weeks. 

That said, Falkirk were absolutely shite. 

Our poorest performance since Sheerin came in. Can see why Alloa have been unbeaten at home. A tight pitch and pressed us well. Won’t give away many clear cut chances if they defend like that in this league. We had a few towards the end of the game but usual, not clinical enough to take them. Would have been more than we deserved today anyway.

With only Nesbitt as a threat in the 3 behind the striker, this prevented any real creativity.

Morrison being out is a real blow. Hopefully not too serious and means it’s not just down to one player to try and do it all.

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

And Mendy. Of course, Queens just schooled us, so fair play to Alloa and QoS today.

Do you cover all the teams that got beat today ?

#Obsessed

8 hours ago, Russ said:

Seen a few comments on Ruth which are extremely harsh IMO. What exactly was he supposed to do today? He was up on his own, completely isolated and getting long balls chucked his way against Durnan and Mendy and expected to do something with it. He didn’t play well but we didn’t give him any chance to either.

Early days to judge Ruth but he looked like a 12yr old and 1000% should not have started in front of Keena. 

Concerning that Sammy came on before Keena too

8 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Who needs stevie hetherington anyway when you have Niang

You want him back ?

TBF to him today, he has been worse but like many today not up to the standard required

6 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

We create so little without Morrison. I expected that to be addressed in the summer..instead we got Seb Dross. He sums up our squad for me. A nothing player.

Morrison is good for a goal but creating isn't his strong point,if it was he wouldnt be near the 3rd division. We obviously missed him but Alloa defended in numbers and he also might have struggled today.

6 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

What did Barry say in the interview?

I assume the pre-match one. Same that's in the programme. Hutton was getting some stick against Cowdenbeath, support the players, and if there's someone that you want to give stick to give it to the manager, but support the players.

8 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

You tease 😆

Screenshot_20210911-230155_Chrome.jpg

Just getting the TV schedule set up for the night 😅 I may have hit the pillow and been out yesterday

Edited by LeodhasXD

I thought that yesterday was the best that I've seen us play under Barry Ferguson, including the Livingston game. Of the various ways that we've been set up recently the 4-3-3 that we used yesterday has been my favourite, Sena and King (who had his best game in a Wasps shirt yesterday) complement each other very well at the base of the midfield 3.

When I saw that we were starting with Durnan and Mendy at the centre of defence I was worried (fingers crossed there's no issue with Andy Graham) but they were rock solid. Mendy will always make mistakes but his physical attributes means that he is often able to get away with them.

Up front Henderson had an excellent debut, although he was helped by Falkirk combining a high line with slow central defenders, making it easy for us to pop balls in behind for him.

Hopefully the injuries aren't too bad, we know Trouten's quality, whereas Boyd remains a bit of a conundrum. He's an excellent natural finisher but at times he seems to struggle in the wide areas. Having said that I think we're a better team with him in the side.

A final note on Hutton who had a solid game, and it was good to see him getting a decent reception from the fans. The Parry situation isn't his fault and there's no point in giving him a hard time over it

Barry Ferguson certainly wouldn't have been my choice as manager and I still have reservations over his ability, but credit where it's due he had us set up really well yesterday. If we continue to play like that he'll win the doubters around

Easily our worst performance of the season.

It’s not that we don’t have the players to create, more that we don’t have anyone for them to create for! I really hope that Keena was carrying a knock and not that he’s fallen out with Sheerin because the decision to play that wee laddie up front on his own was completely baffling! It does appear that he’s determined not to play two up top and if he doesn’t change his mind on that I can’t see how we’re going to score enough to compete. If they’re available I would play Krasnique and Keena next week and, believe it or not, I would play Ompreon beside Keena because he does at least have some physical presence.

Mutch; Miller, McKay, Dixon, McCann; Krasnique; Nesbit, Telfer, McGuffie or Ross or Weekes 🧐; Keena, Ompreon

39 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Easily our worst performance of the season.

It’s not that we don’t have the players to create, more that we don’t have anyone for them to create for! I really hope that Keena was carrying a knock and not that he’s fallen out with Sheerin because the decision to play that wee laddie up front on his own was completely baffling! It does appear that he’s determined not to play two up top and if he doesn’t change his mind on that I can’t see how we’re going to score enough to compete. If they’re available I would play Krasnique and Keena next week and, believe it or not, I would play Ompreon beside Keena because he does at least have some physical presence.

Mutch; Miller, McKay, Dixon, McCann; Krasnique; Nesbit, Telfer, McGuffie or Ross or Weekes 🧐; Keena, Ompreon

He does? He can’t jump, hold the ball up, header the ball, hold defenders off or do literally any basic stuff with a football. He’s probably a better option than Wilson but that’s more about how howling Wilson is than anything else.

They 2 will comfortably be the worst full time players in the country. Nae other c**t will get close to those useless jobbers.