Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That'd be only slightly less of an embarrassment than the fuckwits who booed Israel's national anthem.

I’ve never booed a national anthem in my life, but I really don’t get why some people seem so appalled and offended by it. Really quite bizarre tbh.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve never booed a national anthem in my life, but I really don’t get why some people seem so appalled and offended by it. Really quite bizarre tbh.

I just think it's a very un-Tartan Army like thing to do. I can't remember any national anthem aside from England's being booed. 

Maybe there were people there making a political point about Israel's treatment of Palestinians. Or maybe there's just a new generation of drunken radges going to watch Scotland these days. 

One of the most satisfying aspects of it was that it was Bitton who was playing him onside. Can't stand that guy. 
I actually copuldn't celebrate instantly because I was convinced it was going to be ruled out for something...offside, handball, whatever. 

Yeah I thought it was offside at the time but obviously it wasn't even close. One of the players said they'd been practicing those second contact moves quite a bit - I think having a guy on the goalkeeper for every (?) one was so Israel were forced to drop someone back and ensure no Scots were offside.

ETA: I also didn't know Dykes had scored until after the game - I was certain it was an OG.

I had the same reaction as a few on here at McTominay's goal, and I think you can hear the roar overall was muted compared to that which greeted McGinn's goal. VAR in football has created an insecurity in fans so that they don't feel that they can celebrate a goal instantly, and it's just shite. I didn't celebrate the 3rd goal for about a minute as I was just waiting on an offside flag, or for the referee to go over to the screen. For all that I was grateful to VAR for overturning Dykes' disallowed goal, I still think it's a negative thing overall purely because of the hesitancy it breeds in fans. 

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

I had the same reaction as a few on here at McTominay's goal, and I think you can hear the roar overall was muted compared to that which greeted McGinn's goal. VAR in football has created an insecurity in fans so that they don't feel that they can celebrate a goal instantly, and it's just shite. I didn't celebrate the 3rd goal for about a minute as I was just waiting on an offside flag, or for the referee to go over to the screen. For all that I was grateful to VAR for overturning Dykes' disallowed goal, I still think it's a negative thing overall purely because of the hesitancy it breeds in fans. 

I'm torn now. Since its introduction I've been against it, for those reasons, but those cheating b*****ds might have scraped a draw or worse on Saturday were it not for VAR. 

I was jumping about like a loon but with eyes trained on the referee for around 10 seconds until I was sure. 

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I was convinced it must have bounced off somebody's hand or the keeper had been fouled or the referee was upset at some unpleasant smirking or some such nonsense and that they would find a way to disallow it. 

or Hendry had been holding the defender's jersey

I wasn't offended. I just think it's very embarrassing. It's appalling certainly that some of our support behaved like England fans mind you.

Why is it embarrassing?

Because it's a 30/40 second segment where the done thing is to show a bit of respect to your opponent. And when fans can't manage it I find it embarrassing.

FWIW I'd happily do away with National Anthems, particularly at tournaments. I still wouldn't boo it regardless of how much I don't like them.

Think I'm still recovering from Saturday, voice is still posted missing. Not much more to add on what's already been said but what a fucking team.

At the winner, it took a few seconds for me to even register it had actually gone in but the pandemonium that followed in the North Stand after was fantastic can't say VAR even crossed my mind tbh.

Not a fan of Yes Sir, I Can Boogie after its excessive overplaying in the summer but a full Hampden bouncing and singing their hearts out to it at full time really was something special.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Exactly this. I hate it beyond words - regardless of it actually working in our favour with Dykes goal.

It was especially confusing given McTominay didn't really fully celebrate at first - just jogged away smiling initially.

Is worth pointing out without VAR our position in the group would be looking much less favourable.

We'd not have been awarded the penalty in Austria and Dykes goal would have been disallowed. Although I still maintain Craig Gordon was walloped on the back of his head for their 2nd goal.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Nah I couldn't cope with that. Given our Tory infestation the Queens anthem would be booed every week.

And rightly so.

For what it’s worth, I think Israel, England and Northern Ireland (do they have GSTQ?) are the only anthems likely to be booed. Maybe Liechtenstein too, cause it sounds like GSTQ.

I can’t see us going full England support, and booing everyone that turns up.

And if we ever boo bonafide crackers like Italy or Russia, my head will be absolutely gone. 

And rightly so.
For what it’s worth, I think Israel, England and Northern Ireland (do they have GSTQ?) are the only anthems likely to be booed. Maybe Liechtenstein too, cause it sounds like GSTQ.
I can’t see us going full England support, and booing everyone that turns up.
And if we ever boo bonafide crackers like Italy or Russia, my head will be absolutely gone. 

Russia's was well received at the Euros. I think it's rather dull tbh. Italy's is the best followed by France IMO.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Is worth pointing out without VAR our position in the group would be looking much less favourable.

We'd not have been awarded the penalty in Austria and Dykes goal would have been disallowed. Although I still maintain Craig Gordon was walloped on the back of his head for their 2nd goal.

And it's also worth pointing out that these instances where VAR has benefited us have been acknowledged. Just because you benefit from something doesn't mean it's broadly a good thing. I was grateful for it when it awarded Dykes' goal, but I think I would trade having a goal wrongly chopped off to be able to freely celebrate a goal. Pre-VAR I would just have looked to the linesman after McT put it in, then I'd be able to celebrate fully if there was no flag. Instantly. On Saturday I knew that it was possible that the goal was offside, or came off his arm, and that the ref would be asked to check. The whole process would take over a minute before I knew whether it was a goal or not. I was sure it would be offside, and it took me ages to realise that it was in fact a goal. We're now only going to celebrate freely when it's a clear goal. That's what I'm irked with VAR about, the denial of the instant and visceral emotional catharsis that a goal brings.