Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Not sure exactly where I sit about the national anthem issue.  As someone said, on one hand it can be seen as disrespectful, on the other it can be seen as being pure panto or an attempt to intimidate.

There were a few Palestinian flags in the crowd, unsure if they were Palestinians there to support Scotland/protest against Israel or if it was Scots with their own agenda or at the wind up.

One thing though, some could be open to be accused of hypocrisy by booing a country's national anthem because they disagree with how that country treats people, yet be desperate to win a game which could take us to a finals in country who do not exactly have a good record in that area either.

Fitba fans eh?  Whit are we like? 😉

3 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Not sure exactly where I sit about the national anthem issue.  As someone said, on one hand it can be seen as disrespectful, on the other it can be seen as being pure panto or an attempt to intimidate.

There were a few Palestinian flags in the crowd, unsure if they were Palestinians there to support Scotland/protest against Israel or if it was Scots with their own agenda or at the wind up.

One thing though, some could be open to be accused of hypocrisy by booing a country's national anthem because they disagree with how that country treats people, yet be desperate to win a game which could take us to a finals in country who do not exactly have a good record in that area either.

Which of those options do you think is the most likely?

16 minutes ago, pthardie said:

The SFA need to look at what they can do to reduce the queuing time. I take the point that people could turn up earlier but what is the point in changing the ticketing system if it takes longer in actually getting fans into the ground than paper tickets?

I don’t think it does take longer tbh. People still had issues when it was paper tickets and tbh, I got there at 4.30pm and was in by 4.50pm - I don’t think for a crowd that size that’s unreasonable. I didn’t see anyone in the queue I was in having much in the way of problems getting in. 

Edited by Jambomo

10 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

If England fans' name is mud after doing it in the Euros, we should cut it out imo.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Booing GSTQ is fine and actually should be encouraged.  Booing other anthems is just a bit strange.

I'm not in favour of booing anthems, yet strangely I have no problem booing GSTQ.  How is it an anthem for a country, when it lauds just one member of one family, and demands the protection of that person by a supernatural entity?  At least some Scots get a look in, (but only the rebellious ones) and the Welsh and Northern Irish are totally ignored as far as I can see. 

Nah. Get it in the bin. At least FoS mentions "Scotland" and refers to its land and people. (I'd prefer something a bit more upbeat, but it'll do until something better comes along.)

I am a hypocrite, I never boo a national anthem but want my team to kick lumps out of the opposition as soon as the game kicks off 😉

As for which was the most likely scenario, knowing football fans they were probably at the wind up but I am aware that fans of  certain clubs have taken on board the issues surrounding Israel and Palestine for various reasons so perhaps that might have been a factor.

I remember we played Israel many years ago where a Scotland brought in a home made swastika flag.  As I said...Fitba fans.

Taking an interest in Middle Eastern politics and the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory isn't limited to "certain clubs", it is something we should all care about.
The question is whether a football stadium is the right place to make known your feelings on it.

1 minute ago, BinoBalls said:

There were so many emotional swings in that 90 minutes and that's what made it such an amazing experience in the end.  Ironically if we'd won 3-0 it wouldn't have felt quite the same.

Optimism and pride at the kick off.  Despair at Israel taking the lead.  Joy at McGinn's glorious equaliser.  Instant dejection that we surrendered parity so soon after.  Excitement at the penalty award.  Anxiety waiting on the penalty.  Frustration at the penalty miss.  Seethe at half time.  Explosion of happiness when Dykes equalised.  Anger when ref chopped it off.  Hope when ref went over to check VAR.  Jubilation when he gave the goal.  Anguish when their keeper saved Dykes header.  Gloom when McGinn shot straight at the keeper on 88 minutes.  Hope when they announced 6 minutes of injury time.  Anticipation when we won the corner.  Unbridled hysteria when McTominay bundled it home; shouting, screaming, hugging, roaring, grabbing anyone in sight and celebrating like f**k.  Praying for final whistle.  Partying when it was all over.

And that is why football can be such an incredible sport.

Any plus points?

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
Taking an interest in Middle Eastern politics and the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory isn't limited to "certain clubs", it is something we should all care about.

The question is whether a football stadium is the right place to make known your feelings on it.

Why not?

Look at the pressure that was put on apartheid South Africa through sport.

Sport can be a powerful tool for change

Edited by Clown Job

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Why not?

Agreed, also Israel should have been suspended from international football until they stop restricting visas for Palestinian players anyway.

Edited by gannonball

There were so many emotional swings in that 90 minutes and that's what made it such an amazing experience in the end.  Ironically if we'd won 3-0 it wouldn't have felt quite the same.

It was an incredible rollercoaster and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way but I would like just one boring, comfortable win in a big match at some point.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

It was an incredible rollercoaster and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way but I would like just one boring, comfortable win in a big match at some point.

Let’s hope for a straightforward win on Tuesday for starters! Yesterday was incredible but, for the last half hour of the match, my heart was pounding like Derek Johnstone after walking up 5 flights of stairs. 

Why not?
I'm a bit conflicted on the issue. I'm was a bit fan of Boban kicking the policeman, and ethnically Hungarian clubs going after Steaua was in my opinion a virtuous thing.

The above situations, and the Israel one, are literally life and death issues. What I definitely don't think appropriate is more minor issues being brought into the sporting arena, or serious issues in non-relevant events.

I watch Thistle partly for escapism and to get away from the hassles of everyday life. So I don't want to get a politics lecture when I'm there. Even though I was very pro-independence, I didn't like that whole debate being brought to Firhill on a Saturday.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Can Ian Crocker shut the f**k up please.

FTFY, incidentally I am a bloody jinx, watched c75 minutes of the game and saw 2 Israel goals and the missed pelanty, did not see a single Scotland goal live. I have banned myself from watching Tuesdays game.

32 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

Let’s hope for a straightforward win on Tuesday for starters! Yesterday was incredible but, for the last half hour of the match, my heart was pounding like Derek Johnstone after walking up 5 flights of stairs. 

There's absolutely no chance it will be straight forward