Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

19 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Mmm...not sure that's the kind of petty route that's worth going down, if that's the reason for the booing, and it's great propaganda for the Israeli government, who'll claim it's nothing to do with their policies in Palestine.

If people wanted to boycott games against Israel? Fair enough, although there are others worth adding to that list, and I bet a few countries would consider doing the same with us due to UK foreign policy.

Scotland isn’t responsible for U.K. foreign policy.  I am sure that fans of other national teams will be aware of this.

That play-off pathway is tough, but fair. Portugal and Sweden are the kind of sides we'd have to put out to qualify back in the old days. Although it'll surely end up being  Serbia and maybe even Spain from those groups.

If we end up in the seeded pot and can finally keep some form going, it's possible  :mellow:

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Scotland isn’t responsible for U.K. foreign policy.  I am sure that fans of other national teams will be aware of this.

You're at it now!  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Away an gie yersel a shake. Booing the opposition national anthem is the work of imbeciles and the Tartan Army have long been above it (except when its England obviously).

Last night wasnt a handful of drunk dafties it was a sizeable proportion of the crowd. It waa shameful and embarassing and deserves to be called out for what it was.

I genuinely don’t see what is shameful or embarrassing about booing the national anthem of an apartheid state 

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Very much so, I would imagine...

4 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Unfortunately that coach is Austin McCann. 

Actually it's Austin McPhee.😉

Cupar Hearts finest from days past!😉

Cupar Hearts 

In his first season as a head coach, MacPhee guided Cupar Hearts to Fife Amateur Cup victory for the first time in 112 years and to the Scottish Amateur Cup Final at Hampden Park. He resigned after one season in charge to take an assistant coach job with Cowdenbeath.

Edited by embow

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Unfortunately that coach is Austin McCann. 

He’s working at Aston Villa as well. He’s obviously pretty highly rated in football, it’ll be interesting to see how much we can improve our set-pieces with his help. 

The booing of anthems can be viewed in a couple of different ways, i think some of it might be a generational thing too. The first time i heard it happen a while ago i did cringe a wee bit but i'm not really that arsed, i think for some of the folk booing it's just a part of the pantomime and no different to the usual hostility you'd show towards an opposing team, whereas my dad and uncle both saw it as being out of order, as if the national anthems are almost sacred and have to be respected - i fully understand that point of view too.

I didn't give a monkeys when ours was booed at Wembley and wouldn't be bothered if other teams booed us, i do understand that it makes us look a wee bit like the bare chested EDL lads though. Folk have moaned for years that Hampden is no longer a hostile place for away teams to come, and that we should get back to the old days where opposition players would be scared shitless coming out the tunnel, if filling the empty seats with pissed up arseholes brings us closer to that then i'm all for it. There were moments last night - particularly that surge of momentum after the second goal - where the crowd were up and behind the team in a way i can hardly remember watching Scotland. 

Also FWIW, if booing GSTQ is acceptable based on what it supposedly represents, booing the Israeli national anthem is surely in the same bracket. 

Edited by Fratelli

What a great night. I think that was one of the best games I’ve been to and my first Scotland match was V France in 06. The atmosphere was incredible.

I think this team is managing to get rid of a lot of the “typical Scotland” stereotypes. We are managing to win important games which we might have previously bottled.

We have been capable of coming back against Austria, against Israel when before the heads would drop and we wouldn’t do it. I don’t doubt having players playing for some big teams helps that but the mentality seems to be throughout the team. The squad seems to be together and happy as well, I don’t know the last time a player didn’t turn up or cried off with a sudden “Injury”, again something we’ve had trouble with in the past. 

My throat is killing me and I can’t speak properly but it was worth it belting out Yes sir I can boogie etc. I am not a massive fan of the torch at 70mins thing but last night when it was happening, the crowd starting singing a very nice rendition of Flower of Scotland at the same time and it was actually quite poignant. 

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

What a great night. I think that was one of the best games I’ve been to and my first Scotland match was V France in 06. The atmosphere was incredible.

I think this team is managing to get rid of a lot of the “typical Scotland” stereotypes. We are managing to win important games which we might have previously bottled.

We have been capable of coming back against Austria, against Israel when before the heads would drop and we wouldn’t do it. I don’t doubt having players playing for some big teams helps that but the mentality seems to be throughout the team. The squad seems to be together and happy as well, I don’t know the last time a player didn’t turn up or cried off with a sudden “Injury”, again something we’ve had trouble with in the past. 

My throat is killing me and I can’t speak properly but it was worth it belting out Yes sir I can boogie etc. I am not a massive fan of the torch at 70mins thing but last night when it was happening, the crowd starting singing a very nice rendition of Flower of Scotland at the same time and it was actually quite poignant. 

Can someone let Ian Crocker know so that he can shut the f**k up please.

13 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Also FWIW, if booing GSTQ is acceptable based on what it supposedly represents, booing the Israeli national anthem is surely in the same bracket.

The difference is that GSTQ is supposed to be ours too. We can boo "our" own anthem if we want.

If independence ever happened, then eventually it would become a bit tragic to keep scratching that particular scab. Falling asleep to it would be more appropriate, as it's objectively one of the worst anthems ever, for a number of reasons.

17 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

He’s working at Aston Villa as well. He’s obviously pretty highly rated in football, it’ll be interesting to see how much we can improve our set-pieces with his help. 

Aye,  like Cathro clearly not a manager, and the gamble by hearts to try and move the ‘laptop’ guys into management was wrong. But they certainly can have positive influence.

I think we need to view analyst positions in a similar way to sport scientists etc. They are there to provide information, not necessarily make decisions.  

Had hearts given their physio a management job and they struggled I doubt anyone would question why they got another physio job later on.

Much hand-wringing on here, on sportscene and around me at Hampden at half time.

Am I the only person who thought us losing was a bit of an aberration?

We completely dominated possession, created a few clear cut chances, including a missed penalty and should have been hammering them. 

Conceded 2 really poor goals from set pieces but really were extremely unlucky to go in behind

Was good to see Daza finally be made to look ordinary. Tierney and Robertson were so in sync down that channel, Israel just had no answer to it whatsoever.

Was good to see Dykes make up for a woeful penalty.

In the second half we upped it to an even higher level and basically played the rest of the game in their half. Hendry was extremely solid which allowed McTominay and Tierney to bomb on, Gilmour and Mcgregor were brilliant at keeping us ticking.

Was a bit disappointed not to make subs, thought we lost a bit of momentum although by f**k we got there in the end.

That was far and away the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at Hampden, place was absolutely rocking

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

First time I've been to Hampden since Slovenia 4 years ago. 

When did the North Stand turnstiles become so narrow? I am, shall we say, portly and it's just as well I wasn't wearing a thicker jacket or I was getting jammed!

We joined the queue at 1645 (our taxi was late picking us up) and we got in just as Scotland kicked off after the Israel goal so only missed 5 minutes. The e-tickets are here to stay, when there's a sell-out it looks like a minimum of 20 minutes is required to get in for kick off.

The SFA need to look at what they can do to reduce the queuing time. I take the point that people could turn up earlier but what is the point in changing the ticketing system if it takes longer in actually getting fans into the ground than paper tickets?

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I don’t, and I don’t.

Very much this. Maybe as I am over 50 but I find it cringeworthy. If nothing else’s it would make me try harder as an opposition player. I go to all the home games and I tend to notice the booing starts, but stops quite quickly as lots of people myself included generally tell people to stop in a sshhhhhh kind of way. 

What a game. What an atmosphere. For £20 that was incredible value for money. As usual Scotland don’t do it the easy way but I am delighted because it was a crucial 3 points. That and Israel gamesmanship was quite frankly pathetic. The guy getting treatment at the Dykes goal was clearly play acting as he was not touched. No doubt thought if he continued to feign injury the goal would stay disallowed. Weasly p***k ! 

Excellent second half and pretty much every player upped their levels and we looked like a decent football team at times. As a defender of SODs I will resist the temptation to pile on Patterson for his 1st half performance. He came onto a game second half and will be a great addition to the team. But worth considering how much flack SODs would have received with a similar 1st half performance 🤷‍♂️.

Gilmour ran the show second half. I like Dykes. He is limited in some ways, but gives his all and wears his heart on his sleeve. Has a decent record and 3 goals in 3 WC qualifiers for 1st time since Mo Johnston 30+years ago. John McGinn is worth his weight in gold. A great scoring record from midfield 👏👏.

Lets hope we can get enough points to see us not only finish second, but also as a seeded team. Will still get a tough date but would mean missing the likes of Portugal and Switzerland etc.