Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

8 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We might not finish 2nd but if we don’t then it would be a bad failure on our part and hugely disappointing.

I’m sure you’re not thick and fully understand this point so I really can’t see why you’re acting as if it’s an alien concept.

What if we play really well, but can't score and they fluke one in? or what if it's quite a tight game between two pretty good teams and it ends up a stalemate. 

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yes. I'm not sure you even know what point you're making here. 

I'm making the point that the group isn't done and dusted. Israel will come to Glasgow knowing that a win will keep them in total control of their own destiny and we will be depending on them to be dropping points. We also know that we have been roughly even with Israel in the last 3 years so where is the idea that if we don't beat Israel then it's our own fault? They could easily beat us or draw with us at Hampden.

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm making the point that the group isn't done and dusted. Israel will come to Glasgow knowing that a win will keep them in total control of their own destiny and we will be depending on them to be dropping points. We also know that we have been roughly even with Israel in the last 3 years so where is the idea that if we don't beat Israel then it's our own fault? They could easily beat us or draw with us at Hampden.

Again though, people aren't saying it's done and dusted. It's not the rest of the forum at fault if you don't comprehend what is being said. "It's ours to lose" isn't the same thing as "this is over already". 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's important but it's not going to get the fans flocking to attend.

I think the fact the Denmark game is a Monday night will affect attendance more than anything. 

We're away to Moldova just three days before so it will be pretty late in the day by the time we discover if it's a meaningful game or not (from a finishing 2nd perspective).

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

How many “shocks” have there been in our group so far? Or in any other European qualifier group?

I can think of North Macedonia beating Germany and that’s about it.

To be fair, the Faroes were within a few mins of getting a draw off Denmark. I also see them beating Moldova as a bit of a shock, though that’s not quite such a surprise I would still have expected Moldova to win.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

To be fair, the Faroes were within a few mins of getting a draw off Denmark. I also see them beating Moldova as a bit of a shock, though that’s not quite such a surprise I would still have expected Moldova to win.

Moldova were the bottom seeds in the group. Faroes winning last wasn't a shock

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Faroes were at home and are about 60 places ahead of Moldova in the world rankings.

Aye Moldova are far worse than the Faroes.  Are Moldova not about the same quality as Gibraltar?  A level above Andorra and San Marino.  I think Crocker said they're the 4th worst ranked team in Europe.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

How many “shocks” have there been in our group so far? Or in any other European qualifier group?

I can think of North Macedonia beating Germany and that’s about it.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:
  • Ukraine 1 - 1 Khazakstan
  • Italy 1 - 1 Bulgaria
  • Spain 1 - 1 Greece
  • Khazakstan 2 - 2 Ukraine
  • Turkey 3 - 3 Latvia
  • Cyprus 0 - 0 Slovakia
  • Slovenia 1 - 0 Croatia
  • Slovakia 2 - 2 Malta
  • Albania 1 - 0 Hungary
  • Armenia 2 - 0 Iceland
  • Armenia 3 - 2 Romania
  • Germany 1 - 2 North Macedonia

So what do you say to the above Joe Cardle.

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Moldova were the bottom seeds in the group. Faroes winning last wasn't a shock

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Faroes were at home and are about 60 places ahead of Moldova in the world rankings.

Fair enough, I was going by what I had seen rather than the rankings. I thought they were a lot better against us than the Faroes were, hence the surprise.

59 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

What if we play really well, but can't score and they fluke one in? or what if it's quite a tight game between two pretty good teams and it ends up a stalemate. 

What is your point?

If we don’t beat Israel at home then it’s a poor result, regardless of the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye Moldova are far worse than the Faroes.  Are Moldova not about the same quality as Gibraltar?  A level above Andorra and San Marino.  I think Crocker said they're the 4th worst ranked team in Europe.

Aye, Moldova are absolute muck.

With the Nations League meaning a diddy will always reach the Euros I wouldn’t be shocked if Faroes got to a major tournament soon.

Just now, Jambomo said:

Fair enough, I was going by what I had seen rather than the rankings. I thought they were a lot better against us than the Faroes were, hence the surprise.

Going by populations Moldova should be better than the Faroes, but the Faroes keep punching above their weight (have done for a while now). Moldova can now boast a team in the Champions League this season, yet at internation level they've floundered for a long time

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Aye, Moldova are absolute muck.

With the Nations League meaning a diddy will always reach the Euros I wouldn’t be shocked if Faroes got to a major tournament soon.

I think I read somewhere the league D route won't apply for 2024 and only 3 teams will get through via the Nations league as Germany have already taken up one spot as hosts which didn't apply for 2020.