Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

I'm quite surprised at how many people are championing a Dykes-Adams partnership since it has basically never worked. They have nice interlink play and seem to have a good understanding, but that has almost never translated into goals. (With 1 or 2 exceptions)

As others have said, the times we have been most successful against Israel is when we are playing 2 out-and-out wingers high up the pitch. I'm not suggesting we change the formation (because I don't think Clarke will do that) but we should have at least 1 of Christie or Fraser starting and given license to roam.

1 minute ago, Tartan Blood said:

I'm quite surprised at how many people are championing a Dykes-Adams partnership since it has basically never worked. They have nice interlink play and seem to have a good understanding, but that has almost never translated into goals. (With 1 or 2 exceptions)

As others have said, the times we have been most successful against Israel is when we are playing 2 out-and-out wingers high up the pitch. I'm not suggesting we change the formation (because I don't think Clarke will do that) but we should have at least 1 of Christie or Fraser starting and given license to roam.

Clarke does employ two separate variants of his back-3 formation. One has a CAM (often McGinn) supporting a front 2 of Adams and Dykes. In that set up we are relying on the wing backs to provide our width.

The second variant is more of a 3-4-3 with 2 out-and-out wingers supporting a single central forward 

You have a track record for missing goals this season so you never know.
I'm pretty certain I won't fall asleep before the game but if we win tonight then I can't say the same for Tuesday's match.
In the play-off semi we went with McBurnie and Dykes with McGinn off them and shelled punts up to Dykes for McGinn to gather. It was somewhat effective but the main issue was none of the three of them are the best technically so things were quite sloppy and too slow. Having Adams, who can do a bit of everything except score, might help.

Just read the email saying I should get a lateral flow test done. Shiting it a bit as I haven't done this.

I'm hoping they're not overly officious about it as that would be a shiter.

Nervous as f**k for this game but I can't wait for a pissing wet game under the lights. Full stadium too. It'll be tight, but I'm hoping Gilmour and McGregor can help us dominate the ball.

Seeing a lot of folk on Twitter with Patterson in their lineup (which is completely understandable) but it's definitely gonna be O'Donnell, isn't it?

I think that it will be McTominay at RCB and Hendry in the middle but I'd still go with Cooper CB, Hendry RCB.

We'll probably get one contentious pick too.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

McFadden said in his article it's in our hands if we win, but the same is true if we draw hope that's not forgotten.

Yes, that's strictly true.  But it quite possibly would leave us needing to beat Denmark which looks a tall order.

A draw would really not be a disaster here, but it would put finishing second very much back in the balance.  A win would place us firmly in the driving seat and we need to go looking for one.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's strictly true.  But it quite possibly would leave us needing to beat Denmark which looks a tall order.

Come on man, second place was never out of the balance to this point, Israel have to travel to Vienna which could also be a tall order. A draw is not a disaster - no one wants to hear that obviously and the media will make it out to be if we don't win.

It's an opportunity, not win or bust.

Edited by 2426255

55 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just read the email saying I should get a lateral flow test done. Shiting it a bit as I haven't done this.

Nervous as f**k for this game but I can't wait for a pissing wet game under the lights. Full stadium too. It'll be tight, but I'm hoping Gilmour and McGregor can help us dominate the ball.

They said the same for the Moldova game. You should be fine. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I forgot about that as well, they said it for Moldova but nobody is checking that.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Get fycking intae these land stealing fucking c***s!

I remember being at an Israel game at Hampden in the late 70s or early 80s...the fans sang "PLO, PLO, PLO..." to the "Cheerio, cheerio cheerio" tune. 

Probably get a '5 game behind closed doors' FIFA ban it happened these days.... maybe not worth the risk eh? 

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Ok lads. We've pissed around too much for decades.

Time for a Hell for leather, 'baws oot' performance. Runrig's "Loch Lomond" on repeat.

3-1 Scotland, 2-0 half time, Israel consolation goal in final minutes.  Other two group matches end in draws. 

50 thousand new Duolingo Gaelic course (free) sign-ups by 10pm. (Watch out - Iain seems like a nice bloke, but he can be a bit obsessed with underpants...)

"I have a dream, if dreams come true...." 

Started drinking 

14 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

The streets with matchday restrictions have permanent signs up so as long as there’s none of those where you park you should be ok.

Got parked up the road outside the permit zone like you said.  A minute walk to pub.  Got a table too. Cheers