Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're playing the exact same shape we did/do.

2 CMs, a central striker, then 2 "attacking midfielders"/"wingers" supporting him/defending wide.

St Mirren have tried it this season and already moved away from it, as you end up with an open midfield and an isolated striker once opponents understand where the spaces are and you've to drop deeper and narrower to prevent it.

It's been different things at different times.  Sometimes 3-5-2, sometimes a 343 and sometimes closer to a 3 4 2 1  but whatever system you play at any level has strengths and weaknesses and has to suit the players you've got.  A 343 doesn't suit Scotland

I don't see anyone really overrunning Devlin and Beni though, and we've got Haring if we need a more robust 3.

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

It's been different things at different times.  Sometimes 3-5-2, sometimes a 343 and sometimes closer to a 3 4 2 1  but whatever system you play at any level has strengths and weaknesses and has to suit the players you've got.  A 343 doesn't suit Scotland

I don't see anyone really overrunning Devlin and Beni though, and we've got Haring if we need a more robust 3.

or 3-1-4-2 or 3-4-1-2.

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

Home game. Must win. Opposition a lower ranked team. Likely to be pishing doon. No surprises in terms of any of their players, formation etc etc. Sell out. No major absences in the Scotland squad. 

Get your mortgage on an Israel win!

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're playing the exact same shape we did/do.

2 CMs, a central striker, then 2 "attacking midfielders"/"wingers" supporting him/defending wide.

St Mirren have tried it this season and already moved away from it, as you end up with an open midfield and an isolated striker once opponents understand where the spaces are and you've to drop deeper and narrower to prevent it.

Different formations suit different teams and different styles of play. Stating that a 3-4-3 formation in itself is bad is just wrong. Chelsea swept the Premier League aside using that exact shape only a few years ago.

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Different formations suit different teams and different styles of play. Stating that a 3-4-3 formation in itself is bad is just wrong. Chelsea swept the Premier League aside using that exact shape only a few years ago.

Yeah, I was literally responding to a post that claimed it was an exciting formation.

It wouldn't be with Scotland.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

A 343 doesn't suit Scotland

Which was my point when you claimed its an "exciting" system.

It would end up like ours, with a lot of space in midfield and an isolated striker.

8 hours ago, paddymcp said:

Think a bit of a myth is developing about O’Donnell that because he isn’t an attacking dynamic defender like Patterson that somehow he must be better defensively than him. He isn’t IMO. He is slow, ponderous in possession and a weak link who gets targeted by the opposition in every game. play the better player and athlete in Patterson in both games IMO.

O’Donnell has proven in several big games that he can be relied upon defensively. Patterson looked pretty naive defensively against Moldova.

And as for being targeted by the opposition, of course he is. The other side of the pitch has Andy Robertson on it. Are they going to see Nathan Patterson and think that’s not the weak point now?

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I was literally responding to a post that claimed it was an exciting formation.

It wouldn't be with Scotland.

I’m not saying Scotland should employ it but your post was dealing in absolutes about why it doesn’t work.

Israel are decent on the ball & their movement's good.  The best we played against them was the same week we beat Serbia last year when we'd adopted a proper pressing game & forced them into a lot of mistakes.  If we do that tomorrow we'll beat them.  If we adopt this "kind of" pressing game we seem to do now at different stages of a game, sit off them for long periods and let them get into their stride, could be a long evening.

As for right backs, the most comfortable on the ball we've had recently was Palmer who was also playing last year and when he was we looked a lot more balanced.  No idea what's happened to him, but Patterson does look very promising.  That said, if the young lad's serious and has ambitions, him and his people need to go into Gerrard's office and demand that either he gets played or gets loaned out in January.  He's learning nothing sitting on his backside every week.  I'm sure he is getting good coaching going by his recent interview, but at this stage he needs game time at a decent level.  That's a hard gig going from the bench every week to international football for an 18 year old.

Reckon we'll edge it 2-1

Gordon

McTominay-Hendry-Tierney

O’Donnell-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn

Adams-Dykes

I think this is closed to our best XI. Only really a healthy Ryan Jack, an eligible Grant Hanley and *maybe* Pattersson have an argument to start over this XI at the moment.

It will be a very tricky game and anyone expecting a breeze is sadly mistaken but I’ll go for a 2-1 win, maybe from behind with Israel leading at half time. 

23 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think this is close to our best XI. Only really a healthy Ryan Jack, an eligible Grant Hanley and *maybe* Pattersson have an argument to start over this XI at the moment.

Although I agree that we have lacked a true anchorman lately, would Ryan Jack get back in the first 11 anyway?

Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McLean are all likely ahead of him. I'm not even convinced Gerrard will put him straight back into the Rangers first 11. 

I'd say there are 6 or 7 undroppable players at the moment: Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn and Gordon. Trying to accommodate them is hard enough without adding Jack to the dillemma.

I think we've proven by now that we have enough capable centre backs not to be shoehorning a midfielder in there.

The McTominay experiment must be over by now?! Play him in midfield where he plays for Man Utd pretty much week in week out or leave him on the bench.

Personally my midfield three would be Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor.