Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

3 months ago people were writing off Steve Clarke and this qualifying campaign and now we are at a point everyone expects us to beat Israel. At least I'm consistent and I'd say balanced.

The reason I disagree with you is because I don't believe you have factored in Israel as a team, they're not going to just show up and roll over because we have Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay in our team, this is a great chance for them too and they as a football nation are on an upwards trend.

Are they?

They’ve almost always finished 3rd or 4th in qualifying groups since joining UEFA, and they’re sitting there just now. It seems fairly par for the course for them. 

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Gordon

Hendry -- Cooper -- Tierney

Patterson -- McTominay -- Gilmour -- Robertson

SJM

Dykes -- Adams

O'Donnell and Patterson, I'm not too fussed who starts but I've given the youngster a go here. The rest is pretty close to our best 11 IMO, really want to see what McTominay and Gilmour look like together in midfield, Gilmour as the deep playmaker and McTominay going box to box, Super John McGinn doing Super John McGinn things in front of them. Dykes and Adams have shown some signs of understanding in the previous matches and I'd like to see them continue as a partnership. Intae thum!

Id be happy with that only change would be SOD in and Patterson then he plays against Faroes,  which I think Clarke will do

Edited by SmokeyJoe

20 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The reason I disagree with you is because I don't believe you have factored in Israel as a team, they're not going to just show up and roll over because we have Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay in our team, this is a great chance for them too and they as a football nation are on an upwards trend.

You're wrong to believe I haven't factored in Israel. We've all seen us play them multiple times over the last few years. I'm very aware of some of the talented individuals they have - a couple of which I'd love to have. 

However they are also short in defence and we don't really have anyone missing that bothers me (assuming everyone in the squad is fit). I think we're better as a team overall. Full capacity Hampden will be rocking and we have a decent record at home. 

I guess we'll see on Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Are they?

They’ve almost always finished 3rd or 4th in qualifying groups since joining UEFA, and they’re sitting there just now. It seems fairly par for the course for them. 

The same is true for Scotland though since 2002. We tend to match our seeding of 3rd, it's in the past. Their results recently against the minnows are undeniably impressive and they have seen off Austria, Scotland and Slovakia since Ruttensteiner took over teams seeded above them so yeah I think that's an upward trend and that's why they will be a tough game.

2 minutes ago, Est. 1893 said:

You're wrong to believe I haven't factored in Israel. We've all seen us play them multiple times over the last few years. I'm very aware of some of the talented individuals they have - a couple of which I'd love to have. 

However they are also short in defence and we don't really have anyone missing that bothers me (assuming everyone in the squad is fit). I think we're better as a team overall. Full capacity Hampden will be rocking and we have a decent record at home. 

I guess we'll see on Saturday. 

They are a good team, it's not all about individuals - but yeah we will see how it goes Saturday!

7 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Since 2018 Scotland has played Israel 6 times: Won 1 Drawn 3 Lost 2. Home record is Won 1 Drawn 2. I'm not that confidence that we will win. 

Careful, that might be a bit too much of a contrarian view for this forum. 😬

It might not be an issue for you but I imagine plenty of businesses which have struggled of late could do without potentially turning away genuine bookings because people book then don't turn up because they got served elsewhere.
Yeah bit of a dick move

3 months ago people were writing off Steve Clarke and this qualifying campaign and now we are at a point everyone expects us to beat Israel.

Is this your first time ever encountering football fans?

13 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

2F3A216F-B466-4B9E-9C87-8075B6A2937A.thumb.jpeg.3b64b2847dab25a340a5b51a74b439d7.jpeg

Debated whether to play McTominay at all but Hendrys performances in the middle of a back 3 for Brugge give me some confidence.

1-0, Dykes with 5/10 mins to go.

That's the team I'd go for too. I'd rather McTominay in midfield instead of McGregor, but given the players available that's about as strong as you can go.

I've a feeling Clarke might be tempted to start Christie, but I cannot see anywhere in the starting 11 for him unless we go one up top and him just in behind, but I'd rather not.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Only when England do it then? 

Saying we should win is not hope, its expectation - there's a difference. What about the head to head metric over the last year? Let's just ignore that then and focus on the metrics that work for us such as historical performance and world rankings. 🤦‍♂️😂 I couldn't be looking at it from a balanced perspective if I'm highlighting Israel - instead I must be the enemy. You're mental and biased.

I had a look at Skybet and they have Scotland as 10/11 favourites to win compared with Israel at 3/1.

Are Skybet somehow "arrogant" to think that on the balance of probabilities it is more likely that Scotland should win? No, they're not arrogant, they are top level bookmakers who extensively research fixtures before setting their prices.

So, why is it arrogance if a Scotland fan holds the exact same opinion that it is more likely we should win?

3 hours ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Id be happy with that only change would be SOD in and Patterson then he plays against Faroes,  which I think Clarke will do

Happy with that as well. But I'd play it safe and stick with O'Donnell at RWB for this one. Think it's too big a risk to field the inexperienced Patterson against a formidable and attacking Israel team. Play Patterson against Faroe Islands though. 

21 minutes ago, AJF said:

I had a look at Skybet and they have Scotland as 10/11 favourites to win compared with Israel at 3/1.

........ No, they're not arrogant, they are top level bookmakers who extensively research fixtures before setting their prices.

Well, I don't gamble, so I'm not an expert here. But is it not the case that the bookies prices are also influenced by the volume of cash being bet on a particular outcome, as well as their professional judgement of the likely outcome?

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, I don't gamble, so I'm not an expert here. But is it not the case that the bookies prices are also influenced by the volume of cash being bet on a particular outcome, as well as their professional judgement of the likely outcome?

Which would suggest that not only do the bookies think we are favourites to win, but much of the football community betting on it does too. Arrogant b*****ds. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes, but this isn’t England at the European Championships where there’s a very significant distortion between their odds in the UK, and at bookmakers elsewhere in the EU.

I suspect the amounts being laid for this game - at this point - won’t be huge.