Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

You could almost feel them suck that 3rd goal into the back of the net and the absolute carnage that followed will give Prof. Jason Leitch sleepless nights about a Covid spike. 

If sore throat/lost voice is a confirmed Covid symptom, then I'm afraid it's very bad news for Prof. Leitch if the nick of myself and my mates today is anything to go by.

I posted this at HT and then jumped in to a cab to go 'up London' as the final whistle blew (kept the driver waiting) and just came back earlier.
Consequently I haven;t caught up on the other posts (yet) but that was just a brilliant 2nd half in which a few players redeemed themselves but, more importantly the whole team - and the manager - redeemed themselves.
We always knew we had that in us.  The England game in the Euros proved that we aren't, by any measure, a shite team but I was doubting that at HT when 'despair' was the word of the day.
Never easy being a Scotland fan and we, too often, feed on crumbs but McTerminator's (deserved) winner was utterly joyous.
Your quoted post was similar to what my dad said at half-time - it felt like we'd just watched a whole game. The first half was way more dramatic but the second was just completely relentless.

47 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

A lot of quotes about being the best atmosphere in a long time. I wasn’t there but was at the England game where I cant imagine there being anything better than when the second free kick went in.  Was it just because we won in extra time and the England game was just a goal…a moment in time without the result?

I was at both and I'd say the atmosphere yesterday was certainly comparable to when the second free-kick went in. Difficult to split them, both absolute scenes.

49 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

A lot of quotes about being the best atmosphere in a long time. I wasn’t there but was at the England game where I cant imagine there being anything better than when the second free kick went in.  Was it just because we won in extra time and the England game was just a goal…a moment in time without the result?

I was at both and definitely the atmosphere was equally as good. I think the difference was that last night the whole game had an amazing atmosphere, was just brilliant.

I think there was a lot of relief in celebrating the winner, it’s usually teams getting last minute goals against us and this game really mattered. 

4 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

I was done after the first half.  My wife told me to calm down as she hadn’t done her last resuscitation refresher. 
… and that was before the penalty

I’m normally quite reserved at the football, but it was just one of those games you got completely absorbed by. Screaming for every decision, going absolutely mental at the goals and dishing it out to the Israeli’s (one particular moment when Bitton was having a go at Robertson in front of the North Stand as they bizarrely wanted the ball back when their player fell over and kicked the ball out) 

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I was at both and definitely the atmosphere was equally as good. I think the difference was that last night the whole game had an amazing atmosphere, was just brilliant.

I think there was a lot of relief in celebrating the winner, it’s usually teams getting last minute goals against us and this game really mattered. 

That totally makes sense.  Just jealous I wasn’t there

7 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
50 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
I posted this at HT and then jumped in to a cab to go 'up London' as the final whistle blew (kept the driver waiting) and just came back earlier.
Consequently I haven;t caught up on the other posts (yet) but that was just a brilliant 2nd half in which a few players redeemed themselves but, more importantly the whole team - and the manager - redeemed themselves.
We always knew we had that in us.  The England game in the Euros proved that we aren't, by any measure, a shite team but I was doubting that at HT when 'despair' was the word of the day.
Never easy being a Scotland fan and we, too often, feed on crumbs but McTerminator's (deserved) winner was utterly joyous.

Your quoted post was similar to what my dad said at half-time - it felt like we'd just watched a whole game. The first half was way more dramatic but the second was just completely relentless.

I'm guessing your auld man is my sort of age and, like me, has endured the many lows followed by the occasional highs that our national team teases us with.  Now and then we click and it's a flocking joy - as it was in last night's 2nd half!

Can't wait to see us vs the Puffin Munchers on Tuesday!

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m normally quite reserved at the football, but it was just one of those games you got completely absorbed by. Screaming for every decision, going absolutely mental at the goals and dishing it out to the Israeli’s (one particular moment when Bitton was having a go at Robertson in front of the North Stand as they bizarrely wanted the ball back when their player fell over and kicked the ball out) 

The last 24 hours has really been about the win and reliving that aspect, but the journey to that moment was mental. 
It seemed like it was all against us however even at 2-1 down I still felt we would win it. Slightly like my profile pic when Saints beat Airdrie after being down the same score line. I think many had that same feeling 

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

If you slow the replay down, he actually tries to flick his head towards dykes leg. Dykes calf catches him on the shoulder, but var done the right thing and overturned it.

The defender should've been booked for simulation once VAR made it clear there was no contact with his head. Literally attempting to con the ref into making an incorrect decision, should be treated the same as diving.

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The defender should've been booked for simulation once VAR made it clear there was no contact with his head. Literally attempting to con the ref into making an incorrect decision, should be treated the same as diving.

Totally agreed and I thought he did but he gave the yellow to the 7 for something instead. Absolutely should be a booking for simulation.

I am seemingly in a minority of 1, but I thought the atmosphere wasn't particularly great. In the games where the Hampden atmosphere has been excellent, it was wall to wall noise with one song followed immediately by another. First half there was barely a song and it was a very subdued half time sing song. It improved in the second half and there was obviously carnage at the goals/full time but overall it was a significantly poorer at than v say Italy in 2007 and the like.

4 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I am seemingly in a minority of 1, but I thought the atmosphere wasn't particularly great. In the games where the Hampden atmosphere has been excellent, it was wall to wall noise with one song followed immediately by another. First half there was barely a song and it was a very subdued half time sing song. It improved in the second half and there was obviously carnage at the goals/full time but overall it was a significantly poorer at than v say Italy in 2007 and the like.

Half time was definitely very flat, even compared to the Moldova game. Obviously down to Dykes miss but still - second half was better. 

12 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I don't think they can give yellow cards in that situation via VAR - I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think they can give yellow cards in that situation via VAR - I could be wrong.

Aye, probably not. I definitely feel like 'simulation' should be extended to this type of shite behaviour though.

The other boy rolling around in agony for a few minutes shortly after their first goal too.

1 hour ago, saint pogo said:

I was at both and the second free kick against England was definitely a bigger single moment in terms of atmosphere, absolutely mental stuff. Last night though was more of an extended atmosphere, staying behind for a while after full time as the stadium shakes beneath your feet with everyone jumping around, equally enjoyable but a different feeling. The sucker punch equaliser in the England game took that away.

By god, hangover is still rife but I’ve brought myself to read pretty much from page 25-now, what a day.

Some atmosphere in The Shed pre-match, do love it there beforehand. I was honestly absolutely fizzing at half time, I know this stuff is obviously pre-arranged but having folk on at half time paraded is really brave, when theres a fair chance we could be getting beat.

Felt in the 1st half we were poor but did always feel like we had goals in us, fair fucks to Patterson, I wanted him subbed off after about 20 mins and I was very angrily remonstrating this from my seat, suppose it shows what I know, he improved loads.

Saw a few negative posts about McTominay but the way he carried the ball out and drove us forward was brilliant, felt him and McGinn were our strongest performers, fitting that they got on the scoresheet. 

Mentioned already but McCoists reaction on commentary is amazing, I would pay good money to hear him commentate on anything, what a fantastic human being he is.

“Aw come on listen to this place, absolutely tremendous, absolutely magic.”

You spend thousands every year on tickets, transport, pints (mainly) and food to see the football and most of the time it’s pretty sub par, average at best but every once in a while a day like this comes along that makes you remember why you do it. The smile on my face won’t subside for a few days like, at least until Tuesday anyway.

Going to now watch Friday’s A View From The Terrace and have what remains of my hungover dominos I got delivered earlier.

Big shoutout to:

• The Specky guy with a Scotland flag face painted on him that went to the shed by his self and spent his day going around pestering anyone who looked at him.

• The Celtic fan sitting next to me who was brave enough to get his phone out and video the corner in the 94th minute, very bold, that must be some video.

• The boy on the N900 back to Edinburgh that got off at the airport and paid a taxi home instead of just staying on the fucking bus cause he needed a pish.

• The guy that lifted me off the deck after I ended up on my arse celebrating McGinns goal.

• My mate who decided to try and kick a cone after the game (don’t know why tbh, virgin patter) only for him to go over on his ankle and is now needing to head to A&E tomorrow morning.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Seems that way,  we regularly see penalty reviews(whether initially given or not) that show clear simulation with nothing done against the perpetrator.  Absolutely mental protocol.