Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

This is probably the one thing SSC will have to address. We got away with it last night but you cannot defend like that at a set piece. Nowhere near good enough.

Tbf he has hired a coach to address this particular issue.

41 minutes ago, GAD said:

Best thing about a big Scotland win is all the weirdos absolutely seething about it. The startling revelation that Scotland aren't as good as a top 15 ranked team is a good one.

The Israel team were in the hotel I take my daughter to swimming classes in this morning. I held the door open for a couple of them and gave them polite, but knowingly smug smiles.

Did any of them fall down, roll around and request medical treatment when you did it?

12 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Robertson absolutely stands out more when playing for Liverpool than he does playing for Scotland. Plenty of reasons for that though. Liverpool are one of the best teams in Europe and the way they play gives him licence to pretty much go forward at will. He has world class players to cover the gaps he leaves and he also has Mane etc taking up the full backs attention which gives him more space.

When he plays for Scotland has has to be much more aware of what is going on behind him and since we play with wing backs the opposition full back is going to be focused on him much more than they would domestically. Having Tierney at left centre back going forward recently has helped him over the last year though.

Dont mean any of this as a criticism of Robertson but I think a lot of people, not meaning you here, think he should be doing exactly what he does for Liverpool when he plays for Scotland but it’s just never going to happen.

There’s an element of him as captain which almost subdues him.

If there’s an average position tracker of the game last night, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Tierney ahead of him - he appeared to be playing in the back 3 more often than not.

And at Liverpool he’s on corners and set-pieces. Last night 6’4 McTominay started on the corners on his side. Daft.

That said, he still played well - just think he needs to unleash himself a bit more.

How do I have a hard on for Israel you solid c*nt? [emoji2960] You idiots were saying we 'should' beat Israel and I said it would be a hard game and not to write them off. The game was won in the last minute so I was right and I'm happy as Scotland won. [emoji109]
I expected us to win and we won. Your rant says it all....raging !

4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I thought he was lucky to get away with that. It did look like dangerous play to me.

Get well soon, mate.

I've watched 3 or 4 replays of that goal and I'm still undecided, tbh

That's the best I've seen us play in a while and it would have been the biggest robbery I've seen if we didn't win.

Patterson struggled in the first half but Gilmour was coming in to give him easy passes, and once Christie came on to give further support on the right we looked dangerous every time we went forward on either flank. 

I am 100% serious that John McGinn is my favourite player to watch in the world. Arseing players about, carrying the ball up the pitch, scores the occasional cracker. Brilliant.

My arse and my ribs are bruised to buggery and I won't be leaving my bed today.

Almost recovered from last night.

My god, what a match that was! I could rant on for months on end regarding that first half debacle, but I'd honestly rather not dwell on it too much. That 2nd half display was magnificent and the lads deserve all the praise they get for the character and determination they showed. The atmosphere towards the end, and seeing so much joy and hope on people's faces around you was just absolutely indescribable and I won't be ashamed to admit it, it brought a few tears to my eyes. After years of misery and despair, it suddenly feels very exciting to be a Scotland fan again. 

Bring on the Faroe Islands! 

50 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think that's fair but I suppose you could also say that losing a bunch of games would kill the momentum we've built up since Covid. Since then we've played a top side (England), a very decent one (Denmark) and a good one (Croatia) which have shown that we probably aren't there yet to pick up a big scalp.

Aye that's true. With the NL though we could have tried a few different things out, full in the knowledge that we'd probably secure a EURO 2024 playoff spot just by turning up.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

oh aye 😂 won it with the last kick of the game, that's why no one takes your opinions seriously mate.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It wasn’t a kick.

And it wasn't the last one, either.

11 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

There’s an element of him as captain which almost subdues him.

If there’s an average position tracker of the game last night, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Tierney ahead of him - he appeared to be playing in the back 3 more often than not.

And at Liverpool he’s on corners and set-pieces. Last night 6’4 McTominay started on the corners on his side. Daft.

That said, he still played well - just think he needs to unleash himself a bit more.

Robertson was superb last night, he set up two of our goals and you've still got people saying he was subdued - I'm genuinely not sure what more you want from him. The average position map from last night has him and Tierney basically right on top of each other, but with Robertson slightly further ahead.

We had right-footers taking the corners on that side because there was a clear tactic to swing balls in right on top of the goalkeeper, just for the same reason McGinn took the ones on the other side that led to the penalty and the winner.

323687269_ScreenShot2021-10-10at11_52_42.png.f120fe6559e43657610808325a1edf36.png

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

We had right-footers taking the corners on that side because there was a clear tactic to swing balls in right on top of the goalkeeper

I'm not a particular fan of said tactic as now if the keeper flaps at it and misses the referee has a tendency to give a foul. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I'm not a particular fan of said tactic as now if the keeper flaps at it and misses the referee has a tendency to give a foul. 

Yeah, when Mcginn lined up the corner for the winner, I said to my old man that he needs to stop putting it right down Marciano’s throat for an easy clearance/soft foul. Thankfully he obliged.

I think one of the main differences between Liverpool Andy Robertson and Scotland Andy Robertson is that, for us, he has Kieran Tierney next to him. More than a few times last night people were screaming for him to 'drive forward', when he's really just holding the ball waiting to play a pass for Tierney's run round the outside of him.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

With VAR you're more likely to get those daft non-fouls overturned though. I don't think it's a long-term plan for every match, I think it was specific to last night because of how shite Israel were at defending set pieces against Denmark.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Robertson was superb last night, he set up two of our goals and you've still got people saying he was subdued - I'm genuinely not sure what more you want from him. The average position map from last night has him and Tierney basically right on top of each other, but with Robertson slightly further ahead.

323687269_ScreenShot2021-10-10at11_52_42.png.f120fe6559e43657610808325a1edf36.png

I watch pretty much every Liverpool game and watched him in the flesh for a year at United. I’m just saying what I see - he’s clearly more cautious playing for Scotland - not necessarily a bad thing, but he just is.

There was plenty of times where when with all the time in the world to get back in position, Robertson was just pointing at Tierney to stay at LWB.

And as far as corners go, the goal actually came from one that was swung in to the front post area - all the ones that were on top of the keeper didn’t work and were driving me crazy.

Edited by ArabFC