Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

3 minutes ago, bankieholm4me4 said:
51 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:
As happened with the Czechs and Croats, we really struggle against the movement of decent attacking players. 
The win was well deserved last night, but I'm sure that Clarke realises that a 90 minute performance like that isn't going to be good enough going forward. 

True , it was a good result last night but let's face it any top 15 country in the world and a good few selected countries below that would have finished us off last night no problem.

As it was, we weren't playing any of them. 

The best runner up thing is always a b*****d to work out until the last round of games as obviously the teams in second place can change. 

That said we're in a far stronger position now than we were 48 hours ago due to a couple of results eg Norway and Turkey drawing. I think 20 points (minus 6 for Moldova if we beat them) would have a decent chance of us seeded and 21 if we get a point off an already qualified Denmark would be very safe. 

However probably shouldn't think about it too much til after the Faroes game. 

Screenshot_20211010-102040.png

Edited by Fuctifano

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

As it was, we weren't playing any of them. 

What's your point ? 

If we get through to the world cup, it's exactly these kind of games....against the likes of the Czechs and the Croats...that we'll need to be winning to get us through to the next round. 

In fact, we might need to be beating somebody like that to get to the world cup. 

It's great patting ourselves on the back because we beat a pretty shite Israel side, but what we should be doing is saying...'great, 3 points. But how do we make ourselves better to get to the next level ?'.

To do that, IMHO, we need to defend better as a team. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's great patting ourselves on the back because we beat a pretty shite Israel side, but what we should be doing is saying...'great, 3 points. But how do we make ourselves better to get to the next level ?'. To do that, IMHO, we need to defend better as a team. 

Thanks for that mate. 😂🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As happened with the Czechs and Croats, we really struggle against the movement of decent attacking players. 

The win was well deserved last night, but I'm sure that Clarke realises that a 90 minute performance like that isn't going to be good enough going forward. 

Now that we have all but clinched a playoff spot, the bit in bold I think is going to be the most overlooked part of us throwing away a League A Nations League spot. A run of competitive fixtures against top quality teams would have been very useful for us.

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Robertson absolutely stands out more when playing for Liverpool than he does playing for Scotland. Plenty of reasons for that though. Liverpool are one of the best teams in Europe and the way they play gives him licence to pretty much go forward at will. He has world class players to cover the gaps he leaves and he also has Mane etc taking up the full backs attention which gives him more space.

When he plays for Scotland has has to be much more aware of what is going on behind him and since we play with wing backs the opposition full back is going to be focused on him much more than they would domestically. Having Tierney at left centre back going forward recently has helped him over the last year though.

Dont mean any of this as a criticism of Robertson but I think a lot of people, not meaning you here, think he should be doing exactly what he does for Liverpool when he plays for Scotland but it’s just never going to happen.

He got 2 assists and barely put a foot wrong. Don't think he ever even gave the ball away. 

What is it that he does for Liverpool that you don't see from him? I would argue that he's better for us - drives the team on and links play all game.

Created chance after chance at the euros as well, what more do people want?

After yet another Scotland rollercoaster last night I was thinking it must be so pish being an England fan ..... all that successful pass, successful pass, successful pass, retain possession stuff and going into games generally knowing that they're unlikely to lose, unlikely to switch off in key moments, unlikely to f*ck things up in spectacular fashion, almost certainly qualify comfortably for every tournament, confidently beat the minnows in a group, unable to sing Baccara songs ..... poor buggers ... almost feel sorry for them ..... almost ... 😏

Queue to get in was a bit of a nightmare, but a lot of it was our own fault. We turned up at 450pm and missed the first 25 minutes. 

My phone tells me I took this photo at 5:02pm. 
661E753F-FD61-43E3-AE01-C34ED30460F7.thumb.jpeg.349585fc2f4b72a653e7e4968dcc7f1f.jpeg

The turnstile on the other side of the main stairs was entirely empty. We tried to go through it about 5 past and got told we weren’t allowed, then a few minutes later they opened it and we all poured in. We should’ve turned up a lot earlier, but we spoke to folk that said they’d been there from about 425pm so it there was obviously an issue. 

29 minutes ago, bankieholm4me4 said:
1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

True , it was a good result last night but let's face it any top 15 country in the world and a good few selected countries below that would have finished us off last night no problem.

Did you ever think that we might not play quite such an open style against a better team than Israel?

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Queue to get in was a bit of a nightmare, but a lot of it was our own fault. We turned up at 450pm and missed the first 25 minutes. 

My phone tells me I took this photo at 5:02pm. 
661E753F-FD61-43E3-AE01-C34ED30460F7.thumb.jpeg.349585fc2f4b72a653e7e4968dcc7f1f.jpeg

The turnstile on the other side of the main stairs was entirely empty. We tried to go through it about 5 past and got told we weren’t allowed, then a few minutes later they opened it and we all poured in. We should’ve turned up a lot earlier, but we spoke to folk that said they’d been there from about 425pm so it there was obviously an issue. 

I walked past that part of the ground on the way to the east stand at around 20 past 4 and the queue was nothing like that. I'm not sure what else they can do to make things easier, the QR scanner works quicker than a person ripping tickets. 

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

I walked past that part of the ground on the way to the east stand at around 20 past 4 and the queue was nothing like that. I'm not sure what else they can do to make things easier, the QR scanner works quicker than a person ripping tickets. 

You’re right, the scanner was good and rapid. Just the general organisation of the queue was piss poor. Having folk standing missing the start of the game - their own fault admittedly - whilst you’ve got about 6 turnstiles completely empty that you’re not allowed to use seems mad. I am absolutely holding my hands up saying we should’ve got there earlier. But using all the available turnstiles to get folk in is basic. 

Best thing about a big Scotland win is all the weirdos absolutely seething about it. The startling revelation that Scotland aren't as good as a top 15 ranked team is a good one.

The Israel team were in the hotel I take my daughter to swimming classes in this morning. I held the door open for a couple of them and gave them polite, but knowingly smug smiles.

Got to love a 3-2 result at Hampden with an injury time corner winner. Fantastic atmosphere and I thought Clarke was very brave not changing the team at Half Time. He obviously realised we needed to attack and felt keeping Patterson on(who was having a torrid time first half)was the best option. Delighted for the lad as you can see he has the potential to be a cracking player for us and if he'd been taken off it probably would have dented his confidence.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You’re right, the scanner was good and rapid. Just the general organisation of the queue was piss poor. Having folk standing missing the start of the game - their own fault admittedly - whilst you’ve got about 6 turnstiles completely empty that you’re not allowed to use seems mad. I am absolutely holding my hands up saying we should’ve got there earlier. But using all the available turnstiles to get folk in is basic. 

Aye, I'm not gonna pile on for those arriving 20 minutes before the game, I was the same as Clockwork was pretty great for the pints, you should be able to arrive at that time and get in comfortably. I just wonder what else they can do to help with this situation as it seems to happen every game with fans stuck outside the ground.