Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, No_Problemo said:

Israel have good players going forward, and in open play created one singular chance. I’m not sure how we struggled with their attacking movement. Craig Gordon had no saves of note, in fact he only had one save. 

Both their goals came from stupid challenges made by defenders that were out of position and forced into lunging for the ball because they were beaten. 

The chance they missed with the header was just ridiculously bad defending. 

Do you think that Scotland defended confidently and well last night, especially in the first half ? 

I'm as delighted as anybody with the result, but to get to the level that we want to be at....actually competing in tournaments and not just being happy to get there.... we need to learn to defend better as a team. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Both their goals came from stupid challenges made by defenders that were out of position and forced into lunging for the ball because they were beaten. 

Do you think that Scotland defended confidently and well last night, especially in the first half ? 

I'm as delighted as anybody with the result, but to get to the level that we want to be at....actually competing in tournaments and not just being happy to get there.... we need to learn to defend better as a team. 

Aye well one step at a time. 

Speaking to folk today it's mad the different perspectives you get from being at the game vs TV viewers. I thought Hendry was colossal but others think he was dreadful. Robertson IMO was fairly average but apparently brilliant. I think McSauce and Patterson were brutal all game though, the latter is so naive, he plays the game like it's an U19's game. Waits and waits for the obvious pass then when it arrives he doesn't seem to spot the fact the opposition can see it. The Dykes pen - I didn't watch it at the game but it really is horrific. I love him but that really is not good enough. 

Now the complaining is out the way, the second half was brilliant. One of my pals complaining about Scotland having no bottle at HT, so that was delightful to see. Usually it's the West/North that are absolutely bouncing but G7 in the East was class yesterday, great atmosphere. 

Time to sober up. 

40 minutes ago, G51 said:

Pretty sure the games v Moldova won’t count for seeding in the playoffs (though will obviously count for ensuring we actually get second place).

Might take a look through the remaining groups today and see where we stand - from the ten groups, the top six teams are seeded and the bottom four + 2 Nations League qualifiers are not seeded. My recollection is that we’re right on the edge of seeding, so a good showing (and a good few goals) against the Faroes might matter.

Yep as long as Moldova don't manage to overtake the Faroes we should be ok for 2nd without winning there and it won't harm our play-off ranking (provided Israel don't win their last three games!)

The way it's shaping up to get a seeding I think we might need to take something from the Danes unfortunately. 

Edited by Lurkst

Been going to Hampden since 1973 and as much as Scotland can break your heart, it is games like these that keep you going back.

Big shout out to the team for keeping at it right to the end.  Big shout to the fans as well.  You could almost feel them suck that 3rd goal into the back of the net and the absolute carnage that followed will give Prof. Jason Leitch sleepless nights about a Covid spike.

Have to say we experienced no issues getting into the ground and the rain kept away for the most part which was nice.  Another shout out the staff at The Beechwood pub, they kept the troops fed and watered and it was a real party atmosphere both before and after.  We wil certainly be back.

Edited by Sugar_Army

19 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We gave away two soft free kicks, and defended poorly and gave up a chance once in an entire game. I’m not sure what you are looking for here, defensive perfection isn’t going to be a thing against any side that isn’t hopeless. 

Should the defending have been better for the Israel chance in the second half? Yes, but other than that it was fine. 

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Tie Israel defender tried a diving header to make it look like Dykes had a high foot but is Dykes allowed to have his studs up like that?

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I thought he was lucky to get away with that. It did look like dangerous play to me.

Get well soon, mate.

I guess it's only dangerous play if the referee deems he's put a player in danger. As it was only the ball was in the vicinity of his studs.

Although we hate playing Israel I think they are truly sick of us after we beat them on penalties in the playoffs last year and we beat them with an extra time goal last night. It is expected their coach Ruttensteiner will leave his job and is getting pelters from their media.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Any sign of the numbery named roaster with the hard on for Israel ???

How do I have a hard on for Israel you solid c*nt? 🤭 You idiots were saying we 'should' beat Israel and I said it would be a hard game and not to write them off. The game was won in the last minute so I was right and I'm happy as Scotland won. 👊

Just now, 2426255 said:

How do I have a hard on for Israel you solid c*nt? 🤭 You idiots were saying we 'should' beat Israel and I said it would be a hard game and not to write them off. The game was won in the last minute so I was right and I'm happy as Scotland won. 👊

We expected to win, and we won. Easy game IMO. 

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Although we hate playing Israel I think they are truly sick of us after we beat them on penalties in the playoffs last year and we beat them with an extra time goal last night. It is expected their coach Ruttensteiner will leave his job and is getting pelters from their media.

Outrageous. That sort of thing would never happen in this country. 🙄🤔

As happened with the Czechs and Croats, we really struggle against the movement of decent attacking players. 
The win was well deserved last night, but I'm sure that Clarke realises that a 90 minute performance like that isn't going to be good enough going forward. 
True , it was a good result last night but let's face it any top 15 country in the world and a good few selected countries below that would have finished us off last night no problem.