Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Just now, No_Problemo said:

If you can watch that game and think Billy Gilmour isn’t incredibly special, then football isn’t for you. 

If you can watch that game and offer criticism after it, again football isn’t for you. 

First point, agreed

2nd point, meh. 2nd half was great we played brilliant and deserved to win it.

1st half their was lots to criticise. Hopefully clarke can learn from it and improve, cos let's be honest we were 2 mins away from their being a tidal wave of criticism. 

We can't keep starting games being so negative with this. Play football when we have to idea. We have good players, let's play football all the time.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

First point, agreed

2nd point, meh. 2nd half was great we played brilliant and deserved to win it.

1st half their was lots to criticise. Hopefully clarke can learn from it and improve, cos let's be honest we were 2 mins away from their being a tidal wave of criticism. 

We can't keep starting games being so negative with this. Play football when we have to idea. We have good players, let's play football all the time.

I don’t think we choose to not play football tbf. We still did at times too, the first goal was wonderful. 

I think this team set up in this way are an attacking force and very hard for teams to play against which is unusual for a scotland team. We still need a natural goalscorer/poacher because Adams and dykes do similar jobs.

We really missed Hanley yesterday because all 3 centre backs were bombing forward and we got caught out a good few times. 

Gilmour is a class act and second half he was running the show. 

Just now, pub car king said:

I think this team set up in this way are an attacking force and very hard for teams to play against which is unusual for a scotland team. We still need a natural goalscorer/poacher because Adams and dykes do similar jobs.

We really missed Hanley yesterday because all 3 centre backs were bombing forward and we got caught out a good few times. 

Gilmour is a class act and second half he was running the show. 

Correct! 

I don’t think we choose to not play football tbf. We still did at times too, the first goal was wonderful. 

Its a clarke quote I didn't make it up, cant find the exact one but its along the lines of. We can play football when we have to.

Yeah I'm not saying 1st half was all bad, but was their things to criticise? Of course there were.

All good at the end of the game, I just think we can be even better. And I'd like to see it.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Its a clarke quote I didn't make it up, cant find the exact one but its along the lines of. We can play football when we have to.

Yeah I'm not saying 1st half was all bad, but was their things to criticise? Of course there were.

All good at the end of the game, I just think we can be even better. And I'd like to see it.

I know the quote your talking about, and to be fair I don’t think that is the context he meant it in. It was in response to Austria labelling us a long ball team. Clark wasn’t happy with the first half tonight, he definitely didn’t want us to play like that. 

Ultimately Israel scored from two soft set pieces, and bar that had one chance. 

I completely agree we can be better, let’s hope we see it! 

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

We would have to win our last 3 games (incl. Denmark at home) for a total of 23 points and hope that Denmark do no better than one draw from their other 2 games for a max of 22.

Unlikely.

I think someone pointed out that the play-off places are seeded.

In that case, it would be handy (assuming that we beat The Faroes and Moldova....I know, I know....) to take something from Denmark. 

I know the quote your talking about, and to be fair I don’t think that is the context he meant it in. It was in response to Austria labelling us a long ball team. Clark wasn’t happy with the first half tonight, he definitely didn’t want us to play like that. 

Ultimately Israel scored from two soft set pieces, and bar that had one chance. 

I completely agree we can be better, let’s hope we see it! 

It was way before the Austria game, I cant find it 🤷‍♂️ so I cant remember the context. Always found it a bit concerning tho.

I would imagine clarke is analysing the first half and hopefully making those changes going forward. So its ok for us to do this also, as well as enjoy the positive side.

Pretty sure the games v Moldova won’t count for seeding in the playoffs (though will obviously count for ensuring we actually get second place).

Might take a look through the remaining groups today and see where we stand - from the ten groups, the top six teams are seeded and the bottom four + 2 Nations League qualifiers are not seeded. My recollection is that we’re right on the edge of seeding, so a good showing (and a good few goals) against the Faroes might matter.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It was way before the Austria game, I cant find it 🤷‍♂️ so I cant remember the context. Always found it a bit concerning tho.

I would imagine clarke is analysing the first half and hopefully making those changes going forward. So its ok for us to do this also, as well as enjoy the positive side.

As happened with the Czechs and Croats, we really struggle against the movement of decent attacking players. 

The win was well deserved last night, but I'm sure that Clarke realises that a 90 minute performance like that isn't going to be good enough going forward. 

52 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If you can watch that game and think Billy Gilmour isn’t incredibly special, then football isn’t for you. 

If you can watch that game and offer criticism after it, again football isn’t for you. 

Spot on. That was the pinnacle of footballing entertainment. 

Of course there were mistakes, but they are all human beings, and if we produced a faultless display then that would take a bit of the excitement out of the game. I'll take multiple errors every game if it results in that spectacle!

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As happened with the Czechs and Croats, we really struggle against the movement of decent attacking players. 

The win was well deserved last night, but I'm sure that Clarke realises that a 90 minute performance like that isn't going to be good enough going forward. 

Israel have good players going forward, and in open play created one singular chance. I’m not sure how we struggled with their attacking movement. Craig Gordon had no saves of note, in fact he only had one save. 

Just about caught my breath after that.

That atmosphere at the end was incredible. Hampden does have its problems but when it's full and moments like that happen it is special.

First half was rotten from our perspective but to turn it round like that shows the fight and character in that squad. Gilmour and his willingness to get on the ball is something I've not seen in my lifetime watching us. 

What a night!