Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Does he ? 
He was very good in the second half where he effectively played in midfield. I'm not being harsh here, but I still have seen nothing from him to suggest that he can defend at a very high level. 
It shouldn't be Scotland's job to develop 'potential'. That should be done at club level. 
A decent team would have ripped Pattertson apart, sadly. 

Hendry (and a few years back, Hanley) were ripped apart on here because they were ragged for Scotland - and both admittedly cost us more than once. In my eyes, both have always clearly had the potential to be what they have become/are becoming (I'm sure some OFTW will trawl my posts to check).

I like Stephen O'Donnell, though we've seen that he is well capable of NPatz's first half... and, to be fair, his second half (maybe without the vision and finesse though).

The question we have to ask is: are we prepared to take a calculated risk on obvious talent? Or do we wait - like the old days - for them to become an OF regular or get a big move down south? I'm in favour of the former. Tonight - although it was by a slim margin - that approach worked out positively for us.

And looking forward, that 90 mins - especially the turnaround - could be formative for Patterson. I do agree the defensive fundamentals are something he needs to improve upon though - ideally at his club... though are we in a position to pick and choose like that?

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

Hanley must come back in for the Faroes

Yeap. 

I feel like I'm going all Victor Meldrew here, but we have to improve our defence. 

In all honesty, the 2 defences tonight were pretty shocking. You'll have to look far to see more incompetence on display this weekend. 

Just now, Fratelli said:

Wee mention for Liam Cooper who came on after the goal, barked orders, moved folk into shape and then went absolutely tonto at the final whistle despite only getting a couple of minutes. He was the same after the game in Serbia despite not getting off the bench. Easy for professionals to be a bit miffed when they don't play - you could see a couple of players on the bench looking a bit static after the goal, but i get the impression he absolutely loves being a part of it and is quite an important member of the group. 

he had a good interview where he said he will do everything possible just to be part of this squad....he's got the right attitude...nae huffs and throwing toys out the pram...he joins the squad and if needed he'll do his best if not played he'll come again.

The amount of times when Clarke was Killie manager where we'd put in an average first half performance and be behind or level, only to completely boss it in the second half was mental. Seems like it's the same for Scotland. It's always taken him 45 minutes to figure teams out but most of the time the second half performance would be enough to win the game. 

What an atmosphere that was. Everyone stayed for about 20 mins after the game just bouncing about, was incredible. 

8 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Wee mention for Liam Cooper who came on after the goal, barked orders, moved folk into shape and then went absolutely tonto at the final whistle despite only getting a couple of minutes. He was the same after the game in Serbia despite not getting off the bench. Easy for professionals to be a bit miffed when they don't play - you could see a couple of players on the bench looking a bit static after the goal, but i get the impression he absolutely loves being a part of it and is quite an important member of the group. 

Didn’t even notice Cooper coming on 😂

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Does the yellow card given to Lyndon Dykes at the equaliser get wiped given that the foul was overturned to a goal by VAR?

Nope.  Yellows can’t be overturned and regardless of how shit the decision was dissent is dissent…

…Ref was a grade a c**t though.

Some 2nd half.

I was seething at Dykes taking the pen even before he missed it. Would've put the house on him missing. Good goal for him though and the way it happened got everyone so fired up. 

I'd also been seething at the standard of our delivery into the box for the entire game until that glorious cross and flick for the winner.

Israel are a limited bunch, but in the many games recently I always think they're one of the hardest working teams we've played against. Certainly no mugs and this was a huge result.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Nope.  Yellows can’t be overturned and regardless of how shit the decision was dissent is dissent…

Not true, true and true.

If the card was for the supposed dangerous play of going in with the high boot then it would have been rescinded after the VAR decision.

If the card was for dissent, it will still stand.

Ref was a prik

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not sure about that - before the game restarted after the VAR the ref spoke to Dykes and appeared to be explaining that his yellow was cancelled. The Robertson one was for dissent though, so no chance that one's getting rescinded.