Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

When people refer to James Tavernier as distinctly average, it is a clear attempt to create a false narrative. Tavernier has been the best RB in Scotland the last 2 seasons and would 100% start in this Scotland side.

Tavernier could be the best right back in the world, but there is one very good reason that he can never ever represent Scotland.

That is not a false narrative.

Edited by Barney Rubble

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

3-2 against Israel is hardly magnificent. If he had done his job pre match his half time 'heroics' wouldn't have been required. 

That’s extremely harsh. We were playing a team we have struggled against over the past few years and more or less annihilated them for 45 minutes. Credit where credit’s due to Steve Clarke.

2nd half was brilliant. We got exactly what the performance of the 2nd 45 deserved.

Israel, for their part, also got exactly what they deserved. A horrible cynical bunch of cheating b*****ds and if we ever face them again, it will be too soon. 

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Tavernier could be the best right back in the world. but there is one very good reason that he will never ever represent Scotland.

I think we all know why he won’t represent Scotland 😂 my point is that you’re criticising Patterson for being behind Tavernier in the pecking order for Rangers while overlooking that it would be the exact same scenario if Tavernier was eligible for Scotland.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Scotland just won a game in the last minute to all but guarantee a place in the World Cup qualifiers, and we've got someone spending his night mewling about us managing that with a 19yo on the pitch 😂

In 2/3 years Patterson will be a regular either at Rangers or in the EPL, Scotlands undisputed first choice, and will be approaching 20 caps so will understand this level and be comfortable with the whole International week experience.

It's just plain weird folk want a talent of his size dumped to a lower level and coached by fucking Scott Gemmill.

Exactly mate. We’ve just won a massive game with a 94th minute winner in a packed Hampden and we’ve got someone slating a teenagers performance - that’s just bitterness.

53 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Git intae thum.....f@ckin yes.

Last minute winners ffs. Just disnae happen for us.

Have to say...this is a different Scotland team....we are normally the team conceding in stoppage time.😂

Serbia , how long ago was that ?

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm no fan of Simon Ferry and Open Goal patter but a clip of him went viral recently where he said we concentrate too much on mistakes in this country and we should encourage our youngsters to keep getting on the ball and keep making mistakes if they need to, because ultimately they'll do the right thing more often than not if they're good enough. I thought we embodied that tonight. Young guys like Patterson and Gilmour made errors but never stopped, older guys like Dykes the same. No fear in that second half. Lets keep going with that attitude. Fucking brilliant.

This absolutely applies to the people moaning about Patterson not blootering the ball away before Zahavi’s free kick.

He tried to keep a hold of the ball - probably something he’s been encouraged to do throughout his time at the performance school. It’s the type of thing the likes of Pep will tell their players to do and won’t hold it against them if it goes wrong.

The boy made plenty of mistakes in the first half that can be criticised but that one got completely blown out of proportion. Even after he lost the ball there was still Hendry giving away the foul and the wall and keeper failing to stop the strike but Patterson got most of the blame.

A fair few of the so called brighter minds on here outing themselves as complete dinosaurs.

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

3-2 against Israel is hardly magnificent. If he had done his job pre match his half time 'heroics' wouldn't have been required. 

What could Clarke have done differently to avoid the two first half goals?

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I think we all know why he won’t represent Scotland 😂 my point is that you’re criticising Patterson for being behind Tavernier in the pecking order for Rangers while overlooking that it would be the exact same scenario if Tavernier was eligible for Scotland.

They are alike. Better going forward than being sound defensively

1 minute ago, Ewan8472 said:

They are alike. Better going forward than being sound defensively

I don’t really doubt that. I just don’t think being second choice to Tavernier should be considered a failing of Patterson.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

As I recall, you and I had a decent debate about NP v SOD last month AJF - I'm squarely in the camp that NP is the future in that position, but I'm puzzled as to why he isn't trusted more often by his club manager, which - to me - seems to be limiting his progression.

I assume you watch him regularly as a Rangers fan - in your opinion why doesn't Gerrard trust him more often?

1 minute ago, Ulises de la Cruz said:

Wee shame that Zahavi couldn't 'shush' Hampden, girfuy.

I was praying that celebration would come back and bite him in the arse. Thankfully it did as 50,000 Scotsmen went wild at full time.