Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

It’s hard to shake the feeling that if Patterson played for any other club in the country he’d be nowhere near our squad, let alone starting. He can’t shift a defensively shite “Blue Cafu” from his club side, and any time I’ve seen him in a Scotland shirt he’s looked woefully out of depth when defending.

In saying all that, I understand why Clarke has gambled, try and get a bit more penetration from deep with Israel being such a stubborn side, but he’s just not ready for the overall job that entails. With SOD on we maybe don’t make that early chance for Adams (although we might), but we definitely don’t give the ball away for the free kick.

Coming back in to things gradually now at least. Need to really press the last 20 minutes of this half.

9 minutes ago, starryfish said:

O’Donnell is defensively better than Patterson and arguably Cooper is defensively better than McTominay. Can see why Israel would target that area of our team.

I said earlier I could see him choosing to stick in either Mctominay or Patterson but never thought he would do both. Patterson was just a needless risk for me for this one, defensively he has so much to learn and is an attacking enough team without him.