Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Ok lads. We've pissed around too much for decades.

Time for a Hell for leather, 'baws oot' performance. Runrig's "Loch Lomond" on repeat.

3-1 Scotland, 2-0 half time, Israel consolation goal in final minutes.  Other two group matches end in draws. 

50 thousand new Duolingo Gaelic course (free) sign-ups by 10pm. (Watch out - Iain seems like a nice bloke, but he can be a bit obsessed with underpants...)

"I have a dream, if dreams come true...." 

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

I have a question tangentially related to today's game. I will be getting the train to Mount Florida from Central, but want to avoid the queues at the ticket machine. I am passing Bellgrove, High Street & Queen Street today; can I buy tickets from one of these stations' ticket machines?

I think the ticket machines will only give you a ticket from that particular station. Will need to use the ticket office at Queen Street or High Street (if it’s open).

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

I have a question tangentially related to today's game. I will be getting the train to Mount Florida from Central, but want to avoid the queues at the ticket machine. I am passing Bellgrove, High Street & Queen Street today; can I buy tickets from one of these stations' ticket machines?

Could you download the Scotrail app and buy tickets online? 

14 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

You’re murdering the logic there. Whenever you make a bet, the bookie lays it. They literally make their money by winning their bets.

The shortest odds reflect the more likely outcome. Whether or not the favourite wins is neither here nor there. Every single possibility imaginable is subject to variable chance.

Bookies quite literally make profit by accurately predicting outcomes more often than not

The shortest odds reflect where the most money has gone not the most objectively likely outcome. 

5 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Taking the kids to their 1st ever game at Hampden, any recommendations for a pre match boozer ? Doesn't even have to be particularly near the ground. Getting the train across.

I've gone to the Clockwork the last few times, mainly for the beer garden. It'll be rammed though.

Edited by welshbairn

Not sure how this will go, don't see us losing it really to be honest and although I could see us blowing them away in a way similar to when we beat Ukraine 3 - 1 in Euro 2008 qualifying, I can also see it being a close game with a narrow victory or draw. McFadden said in his article it's in our hands if we win, but the same is true if we draw hope that's not forgotten.

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The shortest odds reflect where the most money has gone not the most objectively likely outcome. 

If bookies get the odds wrong and the favourite is too long, it becomes essentially impossible to lay it.  Go offer of Rangers 100/1 to win the league and see if you can make the numbers work.

Besides, the wisdom of crowds dictates that when a crowd has money on the line, they will be more accurate as a collective than any unique individual.

4 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

If bookies get the odds wrong and the favourite is too long, it becomes essentially impossible to lay it.  Go offer of Rangers 100/1 to win the league and see if you can make the numbers work.

Besides, the wisdom of crowds dictates that when a crowd has money on the line, they will be more accurate as a collective than any unique individual.

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Why are you plums talking about betting when there is a game to focus on? 🤭😉

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Why are you plums talking about betting when there is a game to focus on? 🤭😉

Aye, fair play.

Assuming we win, I’m really hoping for a 2007 v Ukraine, or at a push, a 2007 v Lithuania, rather than a more recent v Slovenia/Slovakia where we scrape out 1-0 wins.

I’m really feeling quite positive about this game.  One thing is for sure, we haven’t struggled to create chances, we just haven’t taken them.  At some point we’ll click, and someone will be on the end of a hiding.  Would be nice if we could blow them away and allow us to enjoy it…!

11 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Aye, fair play.

Assuming we win, I’m really hoping for a 2007 v Ukraine, or at a push, a 2007 v Lithuania, rather than a more recent v Slovenia/Slovakia where we scrape out 1-0 wins.

I’m really feeling quite positive about this game.  One thing is for sure, we haven’t struggled to create chances, we just haven’t taken them.  At some point we’ll click, and someone will be on the end of a hiding.  Would be nice if we could blow them away and allow us to enjoy it…!

It's rarely that simple with Scotland.

Would it surprise any of us if Israel take the lead with an early goal?

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It's rarely that simple with Scotland.

Would it surprise any of us if Israel take the lead with an early goal?

No, wouldn’t surprise me at all. Recent games suggest either a draw or a scrappy 1-0 in either direction. 

It would not surprise me at all to lose this then do something good like beat Denmark. 

Edited by Jambomo