Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

2 minutes ago, DMCs said:

We don't need to win while Israel probably do. That's the main advantage. Avoid defeat and we are still in a great position.

Possibly, although if we don't win, we are probably wanting Israel to get something out of their game vs Austria.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

I would suggest that you save yourself some time and don't counter him on this point particularly if you're using your personal assessment of the comparative quality of individual players/teams or using rankings. Basically his argument is that if we win then that is expected; if we lose then that is also expected - immaterial of who the opposition is. 

I think it is fair to assume that the rankings will give a broad indication of what level a nation is at, although it is flawed in that very recent results possibly haven't really flown through to a teams ranking.

I'd accept that if we were to play say Greece, we'd all sort of be in the dark as to what level they are at compared to Scotland and probably would be guided a bit by ranking and recent results, but Israel is a bit unique in that broadly their squad hasn't changed hugely, same coach and similar style of play that we have cone up against a lot recently.

Personally, what I have seen of Israel is a pretty decent side that isn't hugely different to Scotland in any of the games, but I think we are better than when we first played them and I think we are better than when we last played them. As to how much better Israel may be, I couldn't really say, but if the same level, then I think we beat them.

I'd liken it almost to a domestic game in a sense. If you play St Johnstone, you know the formation and style of play and while some of the personal may change, you know what kind if game you will get. We know broadly what we will be up against on Saturday and I think we will line up similar as he have done previously vs them, but with more in form and better players. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

18 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Israel came 5th in the last EC qualifying.  The won once versus Austria, twice versus Latvia, and got one point from North Macedonia.  Without Zahavi, they would be bordering on a 5th pot team.  Let's not pretend they are anything but a well-organised, but distinctly average, team, albeit one with a true international-class striker.

How can you judge Israel as a team today based on performances 2 years ago under a different coach? That's like judging the Scotland team today based on Alex McLeish and his team getting pumped in Kazakhstan. 

We have great evidence in front of our eyes in terms of a recent head to head record, recent Nations League performance and an in progress qualifying campaign. Honestly mate, look at what you're writing it's so blinkered it's untrue - you're finding facts to fit your theory. 

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Genuinely hope we tank this mob about 6-0 just so Numberwang will shut up. 

I bet you hope that, bet you're dreading it if Israel give us a tough game because of all the shite you've been talking. 😂  I already committed to leaving P&B if we beat Israel by three goals or more. Anyone got the nuts to make a similar bet?  

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I bet you hope that, bet you're dreading it if Israel give us a tough game because of all the shite you've been talking. 😂  

Everyone on here knows they will give us a tough game, this does not mean that we shouldn’t be beating them though - especially at home. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Everyone on here knows they will give us a tough game, this does not mean that we shouldn’t be beating them though - especially at home. 

If we should beat them then it would be an easy game. 🤦‍♂️ A tough game is where you don't know the outcome before the game begins.

28 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

How can you judge Israel as a team today based on performances 2 years ago under a different coach? That's like judging the Scotland team today based on Alex McLeish and his team getting pumped in Kazakhstan. 

We have great evidence in front of our eyes in terms of a recent head to head record, recent Nations League performance and an in progress qualifying campaign. Honestly mate, look at what you're writing it's so blinkered it's untrue - you're finding facts to fit your theory. 

You could draw a straight line through Israel's performances over the last 20 years, just like you could with us.

We yo-yo between borderline 2nd, and borderline 4th.  Israel yo-yo between borderline 3rd and borderline 5th.

Whether they are performing slightly above their historical average is neither here nor there.

Israel are a diligent, resilient, and otherwise entirely unremarkable team.  Zahavi aside, they are an international irrelevance.

Perhaps, we could be described as the same, but they have qualified for one finals in their entire history and most recently conceded five to Denmark.  

Dress up what you want however you want.  Israel are an average team.  Literally everything they've ever achieved, and even reasonable recent results tells us exactly that.

Us failing to beat them only means one thing - we are also an average team.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

You could draw a straight line through Israel's performances over the last 20 years, just like you could with us.

We yo-yo between borderline 2nd, and borderline 4th.  Israel yo-yo between borderline 3rd and borderline 5th.

Whether they are performing slightly above their historical average is neither here nor there.

Israel are a diligent, resilient, and otherwise entirely unremarkable team.  Zahavi aside, they are an international irrelevance.

Perhaps, we could be described as the same, but they have qualified for one finals in their entire history and most recently conceded five to Denmark.  

Dress up what you want however you want.  Israel are an average tea.  Literally everything they've ever achieved, and even reasonable recent results tells us exactly that.

Us failing to beat them only means one thing - we are also an average team.

The performance of national football teams today isn't based on historical performance mate. You think because they have historically been no marks through the 80s and 90s we should beat them and that's where your going wrong.  

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I bet you hope that, bet you're dreading it if Israel give us a tough game because of all the shite you've been talking. 😂 

Can you quote this shite I've been talking about Israel please? Don't believe I've ever said it will be a canter. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

Can you quote this shite I've been talking about Israel please? Don't believe I've ever said it will be a canter. 

So if you agree with me then why are you wanting me to shut up? shouldn't you want the rest to stop talking shite?

5 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The performance of national football teams today isn't based on historical performance mate. You think because they have historically been no marks through the 80s and 90s we should beat them and that's where your going wrong.  

We should beat them because excepting one position, we have better players than them in every position.  Their centre backs alone - for this game - are populated by their C team.

They are a 4th pot team performing at 3rd pot/4th pot level.  You make them out to be a Belgium/Iceland/Wales being caught on the way up.  They absolutely are not.

You seem to think I care - I really do not.  You're the one working on a commission.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Just now, 2426255 said:

So if you agree with me then why are you wanting me to shut up? shouldn't you want the rest to stop talking shite?

Because you've been utterly relentless in repeating yourself and diving over any comments that suggest Scotland should beat Israel at home. It's boring and makes you look like a desperate troll. 

There may be one or two punters who think we should canter this but on the whole I think people in this thread are expecting a tough game but also expecting a win. That is reasonable. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Because you've been utterly relentless in repeating yourself and diving over any comments that suggest Scotland should beat Israel at home. It's boring and makes you look like a desperate troll. 

There may be one or two punters who think we should canter this but on the whole I think people in this thread are expecting a tough game but also expecting a win. That is reasonable. 

Cry me a river. I just point out daft arguments not my fault if people on here can't handle it.

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We should beat them because excepting one position, we have better players than them in every position.  Their centre backs alone - for this game - are populated by their C team.

They are a 4th pot team performing at 3rd pot/4th pot level.  You make them out to be a Belgium/Iceland/Wales being caught on the way up.  They absolutely are not.

You seem to think I care - I really do not.  You're the one working on a commission.

So your argument is we should beat them because of historical performance and we because have better player than them. You could have said the same about the last year of games against them. You're basing your argument on theory and I'm basing it on fact. Only one winner.

Israel could be the next Iceland, you never know in football - massive nation, what's really stopping them being a good football nation in the near future?

You obviously care, because your pride gets hurt if you have to climb the steps back down 🪜 - same as many people on here. 

Edited by 2426255

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If you are expecting to win, it’s an easy game or something apparently.