Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

5 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I don't know that I'd go as far as to say I don't like him, but I don't recall ever being that impressed by him. He has done okay in some games, but he had quite a poor game in his debut at home to Russia, and he didn't cover himself in glory versus the Czech Republic in the Euros, either. There's a reason that he is consistently left out of the XI. Granted, much of that is due to accommodating Tierney, which means he's going to miss out in that back three, but he is still losing his place as a central defender to a guy who isn't really a central defender and he is consistently overlooked for the role of the middle centre back. Generally, unlike, say, Grant Hanley, I don't recall ever thinking 'wow that was impressive by Cooper there' or 'good defending from Cooper' or 'what a good game Cooper has had', be it for Scotland or even the few bits and pieces I've seen of him for Leeds. 

I'll no be throwing a fit if he fills the space Hanley leaves in the upcoming game, but aye, yet to be impressed by him. 

Hardly character assassination, but hey ho. 

The entire team were honking against Russia and I can't say I thought he had any poorer a game than say Jack Hendry against Czechia, but Hendry's ability seems to grow every time his name gets mentioned now.

I just find some of the criticism of him harsh, it feels like he's got more to prove than other players to some sections of the support. He's easily one of the best we've got at the back, Tierney is a better player and much better at bringing the ball out and attacking from that LCB position which is why he plays there ahead of Cooper, but when Hanley is out Cooper is obvious replacement for me. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The entire team were honking against Russia and I can't say I thought he had any poorer a game than say Jack Hendry against Czechia, but Hendry's ability seems to grow every time his name gets mentioned now.

I just find some of the criticism of him harsh, it feels like he's got more to prove than other players to some sections of the support. He's easily one of the best we've got at the back, Tierney is a better player and much better at bringing the ball out and attacking from that LCB position which is why he plays there ahead of Cooper, but when Hanley is out Cooper is obvious replacement for me. 

I personally don't think the entire team were honking against Russia in the 1-2 defeat at Hampden. I'm not sure anyone apart from maybe McBurnie were 'honking' that game, and even then it is his pressure that spooks the goalie into spilling the Fraser cross to McGinn for the opening goal. Cooper, however, did struggle quite a bit and had a poor evening. Was he alone in that? No. 

I thought Hendry was fine against Czechs, actually. Anyone laying blame at his door, especially the second Czech goal, is extremely harsh in my mind. Hendry has, impressed me in other matches, particularly in his last outing versus Austria. 

Some of the criticism of Cooper might well be harsh, but I hardly think 'I've yet to be impressed by him' falls into that category. That's not harsh. No like I left the guy without a name, or called him something OTT like, I don't know, 'honking'. 

We agree on why he is left out for Tierney, but most telling for me is that he is also left out for Hanley in that central role in the three. Simply put, he has looked less defensively strong than the Norwich captain. That is why I'm not convinced about him stepping in for said Norwich captain. 

I can't honestly say I'm convinced about any of our alternatives, to be fair, but it hardly seems the 'obvious' choice, at least in my opinion. I don't think there really is an 'obvious' choice. 

1 minute ago, Les Cabbage said:

Happy with that, no shocks but no big changes warranted really.

The twitter rage brigade losing their shit over who warms the bench is hilarious.

Pleasing to see natural order restored on the St Johnstone front.

The rage brigade wanting Stephen Walsh and Ralston called up :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Pretty happy with that. 

Aye, looks good, glad to have McTominay back and shouldn't be surprised by the return of McLean. 

Ferguson can consider himself a wee bit fortunate to be in given that he can hardly be described as 'in form' at the moment, but Clarke is on record as admiring him for a while and he presumably showed up well enough in the last camp to be recalled. 

Cannae wait for this. Huge game in the group and hopefully the last time we play Israel for a considerable period. 

People seem to treat call ups like they’re a team of the week for players on a bit of form. It takes time to build a style of play and “club atmosphere”, as Clarke has done, so he’s obviously not going to throw in random players like Anthony Ralston who certainly hasn’t proven himself to be better than anyone we have in there now and hasn’t played this system or with 90% of the players before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

Then we have Mckenna who is in a team that are utter shite and are near bottom of the league.

This is fun.

Who do we have next in line for centre half ?

Looking at that squad, if we go with the back three, then it's one of Cooper, Hendry or McKenna. We did look better in the reverse fixture when we switched to a back four, so I suppose it's not completely out of the realms of possibility that he does that from the off this time, but I expect he will go with the 3 in any event.

A few years ago I would not have thought we would be dearly, dearly wishing Grant Hanley could play in a crucial match, but here we are. The guy has been a colossus since he came back early in this campaign. 

38 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Happy with that, no shocks but no big changes warranted really.

The twitter rage brigade losing their shit over who warms the bench is hilarious.

Pleasing to see natural order restored on the St Johnstone front.

Agree, can't really argue with much of that squad. As a Saints fan, I'm obviously biased towards Clark, but really, between him and Kelly they are probably as capable as each other. 3rd choice keeper really means nothing. Very unlikely to get a game and if something happens to the 2 guys in front, would still need to call up another keeper.

Folk saying O'Donnell shouldn't be in are forgetting that for every bad game he has, he seems to have a stormer the next. Wouldn't be my first choice right back ideally, but he is certainly capable.

Would liked to have seen Hickey in there, but there is time yet. Other than that, there is nobody really really obvious (given the practicalities of self isolation etc) not in there. 

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:

Cooper is captain of a team that concedes about 150 goals a season.

They're all his fault of course. Nothing to do with his manager deploying an absolutely mental system that leaves them wide open at the back against the best teams in the world. But yeah, lets go with Declan Gallagher instead.

Glad to see Gallagher isn’t in the squad as I assumed he’d be Clarkes choice to replace Hanley against Israel. I imagine that could be the end of his Scotland career? done fine when required and will always be fondly remember for Serbia but Hanley is light years ahead of him in the Central of the 3 role. With the other central defenders in the squad still able to offer a bit more than him if they cover that role.

So it looks like it will definitely be Hendry in the middle against Israel with McTominay and Tierney either side. Although it could still end up being League one Liam or McKenna the centre with McTominay not able to displace Hendry. Exciting times ahead.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

Anyone happen to have a few spares for Scotland v Israel game on the 9th October?? Long shot but me and a few mates absolutely desperate to go 

There’s single seats available on the ticket site if that helps. They released unsold away section tickets a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 27/09/2021 at 13:52, Rasta Ton said:

If anyone is still looking for a ticket for the Scotland Israel game I have one spare for the South Stand, price £20.  section I2.

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

Anyone happen to have a few spares for Scotland v Israel game on the 9th October?? Long shot but me and a few mates absolutely desperate to go 

Handshake GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by The Moonster

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Pretty happy with that apart from Hickey not being called up. 

Expected selection, possibly Ramsey over Patterson purely cause he's played more and been decent enough. Would expect SOD to play Israel game and Patterson to play Faroe game.

Still don't know why Mclean keeps getting selected don't feel he offers much to this squad would of rather seen Gauld in there would think travel restrictions must be against him being involved at the moment. 

Souttar will be close to a return to the squad he's been solid enough for Hearts and would suit the current system.

Nisbet been in poor form this season but who do you bring in. I've seen folk going on about Watt but im not sure he's the answer. Hopefully Che and Dykes stay fit.

Would expect the same line for Israel with Cooper replacing suspended Hanley and Mcsauce replacing mcgregor if not fit.