Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

2 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

It really is nice to see young Scottish players that have perhaps stagnated a bit coming into form this season.

John Souttar, Ryan Porteous, Liam Henderson and you could even include Tony Ralston in that bracket even though I still fully expect him to play for Queen of the South in 3 years.

None of them will be in the squad (nor have they done enough to deserve a place) but all worth keeping an eye on over the course of the season.

Agree. I think what is encouraging is that maybe in the past, similar players would have started their slide, but almost all of these guys are coming back into form.

Henderson is one that I'd interesting. Probably not going to displace any of the starters in midfield, but is he ahead of the likes of Fleck? Probably.

I think Henderson, Gauld, Hickey would probably have been called up already for similar sized nations, but there is an Anglo tenandancy always. Is Serie B any worse than English championship? Likely similar, so if a scottish player was picked up by say Brentford as they got promoted, you could all but guarantee a spot in the squad.

Ralston, I agree will be probably at QOS in 3 years and if capped would go in beside many other 'young' OF players that in years to come will just seem off caps.

Equally, if he was brave and it didn't work out at Celtic, would be good to see him take a risk like Hendry. 

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

Henderson is one that I'd interesting. Probably not going to displace any of the starters in midfield, but is he ahead of the likes of Fleck? Probably.

What kind of midfielder is he? where would he fit into our system if he were to play? For this squad we could maybe squeeze in another attacking midfielder, but we have a good number of deep lying midfielders in the form of Gilmour, McGregor and McLean; box to box midfielders in the form of McTominay and Ferguson and attacking midfielders in the form of McGinn and Turnbull.

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

What kind of midfielder is he? where would he fit into our system if he were to play? For this squad we could maybe squeeze in another attacking midfielder, but we have a good number of deep lying midfielders in the form of Gilmour, McGregor and McLean; box to box midfielders in the form of McTominay and Ferguson and attacking midfielders in the form of McGinn and Turnbull.

In the games I saw him play last season, he was more central in midfield and not as attacking as I remember him. When he was at Hibs, I think he played more on the right. (Likes a dive in semi finals too.....)

I would say he is more sitting than attacking, but more technical than say a McLean. Others may be able to to compare better, but I'd say he is similar to maybe a McGregor type player....

I think he (and gauld) would give us that calmness and better technique in the ball that some of the other more combatative midfielders, but we equally cannot have an entire midfield of the same type.

Assuming Gilmour is the player to build the midfield around for the next 10 years, we will need some protection and ball winners in there.

As much as he is a thug, a player like Scott Brown beside Gilmour doing all the nasty work would be a big plus. Is Ferguson going to be that player? 

It looks like he was playing right sided midfielder in a central 3 and got forward quite a bit in the highlights of their game versus Bologna, but that's highlights from one fixture, so one can only take so much from it. 

I don't anticipate he'll be called up, despite starting the last 3 games in Serie A for his club (56 mins in a 3-0 defeat, 90 mins in a 2-0 win and 71 mins in a 4-2 win)

29 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Assuming Gilmour is the player to build the midfield around for the next 10 years, we will need some protection and ball winners in there.

As much as he is a thug, a player like Scott Brown beside Gilmour doing all the nasty work would be a big plus. Is Ferguson going to be that player? 

Liam Henderson wouldn't be the destroyer type though? would it be fair to say he is competing with the likes of Kenny McLean, Callum McGregor and John Fleck for a place in the squad? I'm not so sure about Lewis Ferguson either, he was apparently called up to fill in for Scott McTominay who is back now but I can't see Steve Clarke just dropping him.

I can see why Henderson hasn't had a chance yet, you have to be pretty good to oust one of the current midfielders and for this squad certainly we have more gaps in attacking midfield with the loss of Armstrong and Forrest. I hope he gets a chance at some point as I quite like him from what little I've seen.

Edited by 2426255

This isn't U12s boys club football, it's the World Cup. The only thing the Faroes game should be providing us with the opportunity to do is to get 3 points, and Hanley represents our best chance of doing that.
I wasn't advocating that this should happen and I hope Clarke doesn't go down that road. I was just wondering if he's maybe thinking that way.

5 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm wondering if Hanley will be left out altogether. The Faroes provides an opportunity for a younger player to get some experience and also gives Hanley a ten day rest with his family.

Actually a smart move to make.  No point in bringing him for that game if he has a family.

On 24/09/2021 at 16:43, AndyDD said:

I've not been convinced by Cooper thus far, I have to confess. 

I will never understand Scotland fans on the issue of Liam Cooper. Genuinely can't remember him putting a foot wrong but folk don't like him. 

20 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Is Serie B any worse than English championship?

I'm going guess at "Yes" here. 

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I will never understand Scotland fans on the issue of Liam Cooper. Genuinely can't remember him putting a foot wrong but folk don't like him. 

I don't know that I'd go as far as to say I don't like him, but I don't recall ever being that impressed by him. He has done okay in some games, but he had quite a poor game in his debut at home to Russia, and he didn't cover himself in glory versus the Czech Republic in the Euros, either. There's a reason that he is consistently left out of the XI. Granted, much of that is due to accommodating Tierney, which means he's going to miss out in that back three, but he is still losing his place as a central defender to a guy who isn't really a central defender and he is consistently overlooked for the role of the middle centre back. Generally, unlike, say, Grant Hanley, I don't recall ever thinking 'wow that was impressive by Cooper there' or 'good defending from Cooper' or 'what a good game Cooper has had', be it for Scotland or even the few bits and pieces I've seen of him for Leeds. 

I'll no be throwing a fit if he fills the space Hanley leaves in the upcoming game, but aye, yet to be impressed by him. 

Hardly character assassination, but hey ho. 

Thing is, whilst he's being kept out the team by "someone who isn't even a centre half", that's probably a large part of the reason he doesn't look great when he does come in. Part of the reason Tierney is so good at that spot is because him and Robertson can interchange meaning Tierney spends half the game underlapping and going forward. Cooper doesn't do that so in that sense he's a weaker option.