Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

Hanley missing this one is really unfortunate but Hendry looked more than up to moving in, given how he played in the european cup, so that seems the best bet for that area given the alternatives (out of form Gallagher, Liam Cooper). McTominay will give us an option at as the right sided CB, but one wonders if someone like John Souttar will end up in the squad. I'd still be going with McTominay even if he has obvious defensive deficiencies. 

You don't break up the midfield if you can help it, keeping McGregor, Gilmour and Mcginn together with Dykes and Adams up top. Cross your fingers and hope there's no injuries in the next two weeks. 

Squad announcement this week coming, presumably? Tuesday or Wednesday. 

I didn't think about bringing another CB in given McTominay should be back, but I suppose Clarke might if he wants to move Hendry into the middle with McT on the right. I still think we should just go with Cooper in the middle though.

I feel like Gallagher's been on the brink of getting dropped for a while now but Hanley's suspension might mean he'll hang on for this squad.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I didn't think about bringing another CB in given McTominay should be back, but I suppose Clarke might if he wants to move Hendry into the middle with McT on the right. I still think we should just go with Cooper in the middle though.

I feel like Gallagher's been on the brink of getting dropped for a while now but Hanley's suspension might mean he'll hang on for this squad.

I'd not have considered Hendry for the middle of the three had he not done so well in the european cup. Yes, it was one game, but still, given the calibre of opponent... I've not been convinced by Cooper thus far, I have to confess. 

32 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I'd not have considered Hendry for the middle of the three had he not done so well in the european cup. Yes, it was one game, but still, given the calibre of opponent... I've not been convinced by Cooper thus far, I have to confess. 

I think Cooper is ok hes a pretty safe bet. But I agree, Hendry is the man in form right now. 

I only watched the highlights of that game, but he seemed to be the guy in charge of that defence. Which is remarkable considering he's only just joined.

18 hours ago, AndyDD said:

He didn't play in the centre of a back three. 🤦‍♂️ he played RCB as part of a back four against PSG and for all his games for Club Brugge. 

Stuart Armstrong is unlikely to be called up as he isn't yet participating in training.

https://youtu.be/HDinaJ1xi9E?t=29

Edited by 2426255

image.png.5b60395de68df07b0f89085caca06997.png

• I expect everyone in blue to be called up barring injury leaving four squad spaces.
  • We need a goalkeeper, probably need a left wing back and a midfielder.
  • I could see recalls for those with a question mark.
  • My guess at this point would Kelly/Clark, Hickey/Doig and Fleck/Ferguson. Not sure who would take the last spot, but maybe an attacking player.   
Edited by 2426255

Squad announcement should be tomorrow, right? Here's what I'm expecting to see

• Goalkeepers:                 Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly.
  • Centre Backs:               Tierney, Cooper, Hanley, McKenna, Hendry, Gallagher.
  • Wing Backs:                   Robertson, O'Donnell, Hickey, Patterson.
  • Midfielders:                    McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Gilmour, Ferguson, McGinn, Turnbull.
  • Forwards:                        Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Fraser, Christie.

That would leave one space to call up a perhaps an additional striker, look at an alternative right wing back in training, look at an alternative right centre back in training or give a chance to an attacking midfielder who has been on the cusp of the squad for a while.  A 26 man squad is pretty big for two matches in a week, but it's a good chance for more training time for the squad and perhaps integrate another new player or two.

Edited by 2426255

On 25/09/2021 at 06:12, 2426255 said:

He didn't play in the centre of a back three. 🤦‍♂️ he played RCB as part of a back four against PSG and for all his games for Club Brugge. 

Stuart Armstrong is unlikely to be called up as he isn't yet participating in training.

https://youtu.be/HDinaJ1xi9E?t=29

Shrug. 

Sure looked like that's where he was playing, at least to me. 

46 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Squad announcement should be tomorrow, right? Here's what I'm expecting to see

• Goalkeepers:                 Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly.
  • Centre Backs:               Tierney, Cooper, Hanley, McKenna, Hendry, Gallagher.
  • Wing Backs:                   Robertson, O'Donnell, Hickey, Patterson.
  • Midfielders:                    McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Gilmour, Ferguson, McGinn, Turnbull.
  • Forwards:                        Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Fraser, Christie.

That would leave one space to call up a perhaps an additional striker, look at an alternative right wing back in training, look at an alternative right centre back in training or give a chance to an attacking midfielder who has been on the cusp of the squad for a while.  A 26 man squad is pretty big for two matches in a week, but it's a good chance for more training time for the squad and perhaps integrate another new player or two.

Tomorrow or Wednesday, I would expect, aye. Be very unusual for it to be the week of the game. 

I'm not sure Hickey will get called up, actually, but would be more than happy if he is. I wonder if Paul McGinn will be included once more, too. Might Clarke also consider Liam Henderson? Probably not.

As you say, 26 is a big squad for a double header, but given the way the squad was ravaged by various issues earlier this month, I imagine you're right and that he will give himself cover. 

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I watched the highlights also, he was in the centre of 3 centre backs for sure. Google team line ups aren't always accurate.

Well that's reassuring. There was always the possibility that I was talking mince. 

13 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

You made me doubt myself now 😂

So rewatched the highlights, looks like a back 4.

So you were talking mince, convincingly enough for me to join in. 🤣

Hahaha well at least I took you down with me. 

It really is nice to see young Scottish players that have perhaps stagnated a bit coming into form this season.

John Souttar, Ryan Porteous, Liam Henderson and you could even include Tony Ralston in that bracket even though I still fully expect him to play for Queen of the South in 3 years.

None of them will be in the squad (nor have they done enough to deserve a place) but all worth keeping an eye on over the course of the season.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think Henderson has done remotely enough to deserve to dislodge any of the midfielders in the squad.

I wouldn't really mind if he replaced Ferguson, but either way you're talking about a player who is unlikely to feature much if at all in the Israel match, so it's not a big deal. 

Clarke likes Ferguson, so presumably he'll still be in the squad. 

All formations have flexibility in them, Scotland play with a back three that becomes a back four or a back five depending on the circumstances in the game. Club Bruges play with a back four and it changes to a back three or a back five depending on the circumstances in the game.