Raith Rovers vs Queen of the South

10 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Fascinating (at least for me). Thanks for sharing. Do you know what makes The FA entitled to request that of UEFA / why UEFA accedes to that request? 

Try googling this:

Scottish FA Article 23 – Transmission of Matches/UEFA Article 48 – Blocked Hours Protection

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/blocked-broadcasting-hours/

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Try googling this:

Scottish FA Article 23 – Transmission of Matches/UEFA Article 48 – Blocked Hours Protection

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/administration/marketing/blocked-broadcasting-hours/

Cheers. So basically it's a UEFA regulation allowing FAs to govern what times games can be shown within their jurisdictions. That's an interesting one.

Hugely frustrating afternoon from our perspective. Lucky not to be a couple of goals down in the first half but likewise unlucky not to have gotten a couple ourselves. Missed Taits chance but was convinced I was about to see the net ripple from Matthews shot but it was a fantastic save from the Queens keeper. Thought Queens defended well and ultimately played and saw out the game perfectly. As for us - we weren't great but weren't terrible. No need to panic just yet but would be nice to see us put a decent run together and keep up with the top 4. 

12 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Hugely frustrating afternoon from our perspective. Lucky not to be a couple of goals down in the first half but likewise unlucky not to have gotten a couple ourselves. Missed Taits chance but was convinced I was about to see the net ripple from Matthews shot but it was a fantastic save from the Queens keeper. Thought Queens defended well and ultimately played and saw out the game perfectly. As for us - we weren't great but weren't terrible. No need to panic just yet but would be nice to see us put a decent run together and keep up with the top 4. 

Pretty much on point, but I do wonder how a third match in eight days impacted players like Tumilty, Bene, Berra and Dick, who all played the full 270+. The defence looked languid today, especially early on. The midfield was equally absent, with Spencer miles off and Tait looking a bit indifferent, only Matthews seemed enthused. With that being said, the result was time after time, a ball cleared out was quick recycled into another QoS push forward for 20-30 minutes and we should certainly have been down 2 or 3.

After that we started pressuring more, but QoS still got plenty of opportunities and anyone that thinks we were battering them n the second half is smoking crack. They still had several opportunities, and our play was nothing to write home about.

IMHO, we need to start Keatings and see…I’d like to see McKay and Lang get a start here and there to rest Bene/Tumilty and Berra/Dick…Arnott should have come in for Spencer. Everyone stays keep starting the hot players…we’re 1-1-2 in league, who’s hot, beside Zanatta?

Cheers. So basically it's a UEFA regulation allowing FAs to govern what times games can be shown within their jurisdictions. That's an interesting one.
It's been in place for a long time and is why clubs, like Raith, could only stream outside the UK pre-covid.

It was changed last season while fans weren't in the ground but it was always coming back. I do think it's a bit of a dick move for the FA to enforce it so soon, and to lower league clubs especially, though.

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It's been in place for a long time and is why clubs, like Raith, could only stream outside the UK pre-covid.

It was changed last season while fans weren't in the ground but it was always coming back. I do think it's a bit of a dick move for the FA to enforce it so soon, and to lower league clubs especially, though.

Agreed. The FA and "the greater good of the game" are uncomfortable bed fellows.

I thought today summed us up pretty well and where we are in the grand scheme of things. 

We needed another forward and another wide player even before Vaughan was confirmed as injured, and today demonstrated why. 

Yes, we had more possession, shots at goal and corners, but in all honesty, Queen’s held us at arms length and probably deserved their win, especially when you consider how dominant they were during those first 20 minutes or so. 

Even in the second half, the best chance fell to them when they had three chances from the free-kick, which was initially blocked, then two follow up chances not capitalised on. 

Unless we can bring in a goal scorer, or the James Keatings from 2013-15ish reappears, then we’ll lose a lot more games playing like that. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

Congrats to Queens on an excellent win for them. They look a better side than last season and I thought the first half in particular was a good competitive game against two decent sides.

I am not sure if our biggest issue is creativity or lack of a goal scorer. We had more possession, more shots and more corners yesterday than we did in the 5-2 game at Palmerston last year. Unfortunately, that clinical trait we had at the start of last season has left us. Another  problem without Vaughan is that Zanatta is our only real creative spark which makes it easy for teams to just double up on him as we saw second half. However, despite not being at our best, I still felt we had enough opportunities to get a goal.

Easy to write it off as ‘not our day, these things happen’ but it is already a recurring theme in our season. We have had 78 shots in our games against Cowdenbeath, Alloa, Inverness, Forfar and QOS and managed 2 goals. When it happens so often, it’s not bad luck, it’s poor finishing. Even when we scored 4 against Hamilton we missed at least 3 glaring opportunities which proved crucial.

Big John McGlynn fan but he didn’t have a good day yesterday. Each substitution made us worse. We finished the first half strongly and if we’d continued playing that way, I think a goal was coming but I felt we panicked. I don’t think Poplatnik and Varian work as a partnership. McKay on for Fotheringham was strange. I think Fotheringham had to come off but we know McKay isn’t an attacking full back and pushing Tumilty forward meant he always had to beat a man to get a delivery in rather than using his strengths of the overlap run. Keatings for Varian was fair enough but by that point we were just launching long balls, if you’re doing that you’re just as well keeping on the guy that is 6 foot plus, it really doesn’t suit Keatings. Also felt we panicked and went direct too soon and lost all shape and composure. Eerily similar to the last 20 minutes of the 2-0 vs QOS last year although we at least managed to trouble the keeper this time.

Overall it wasn’t the worst performance in the world. This league is very tight and everyone is capable of beating each other. I’m confident we have enough about us to keep our heads above water but if we want to do anything better than 6th/7th we need someone to regularly take chances for us and another creative player. I’ve heard we are trying to get someone on loan from Celtic so hopefully it’s a player who can make a difference in the final third, if it comes off.

Edited by R.R.FC

20 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I have heard that livi send out players they are interested in to part time clubs so the player can train with them part of the week, we got poplatnik because he isn’t in there plans at all 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tbf he was an excellent ball boy in the second half for you, only thing he did was sprint about getting the ball for our goalkeeper. 

Speaking of ball boys - was the guy in the QoS end wearing a pink top a ball boy? I assumed it was a QoS fan as his top was very similar to our away top and in the second half near the end he threw the ball on the pitch when our GK was about to take a goal kick. Again, I assumed it was a time-wasting effort by a QoS fan. But in one of the interviews I saw some guy wearing a similar top walk behind the camera.

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

I have heard that livi send out players they are interested in to part time clubs so the player can train with them part of the week, we got poplatnik because he isn’t in there plans at all 🤷🏻‍♂️

If Nouble keeps on scoring Livi will want him back as they are really struggling. 

11 hours ago, foreverarover said:
11 hours ago, CALDERON said:
Why would that mean we didn't get Nouble? 

Sorry thought he was a signed player. Possibly because they got thier act together while we fannied about looking for players.

I think we signed Paplotnik before they signed Nouble.